GeoContests

Jozii

<remover by moderator> offers frequent contests and activities related to this site and geocaching in general. The site also has a weekly challenge inviting you to do more of your everyday caching adventures!

It's a fairly new site, but with a decent amount of frequent visitors, it does have potential. It's like caching, but with more twists :)

So why not check it out, and perhaps drop an opinion about it here in this thread?

Edited by Michael

Am I the only one who is skeptical about a website that was created on free blog software, offers no way to contact the owner but an email address, and requires that you supply your name and an email address. I don't respond to web sites that don't make clear who is running them and provide a real world identity. Also that contact is the topic starter.

Team Taran

Edited by Team Taran

Am I the only one who is skeptical about a website that was created on free blog software, offers no way to contact the owner but an email address, and requires that you supply your name and an email address. I don't respond to web sites that don't make clear who is running them and provide a real world identity. Also that contact is the topic starter.

Team Taran

I'd be worried if no one thought like you :)

In my experience, WordPress is a highly reliable and professional software, and I've been using it for a few years now. I do admit that a website being created on such grounds, with no real fundings put into it or anything, probably would, on average, be less "good" than a "real" website. the fact that someone is paying for hosting a website is usually a good sign (or rather, it's a bad sign if they're not).

However, it's also the mind behind the website, and the support of a community, that defines the actual value of a website.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is that despite the fact that there's no automatic way of doing anything (leaderboards, calculating scores, etc.) and everything is done manually it doesn't mean the website isn't any good.

Contact stuff goes directly to me, using my private e-mail. Any reply will be given to your private e-mail. This would be kind of suspicious if it wasn't for the fcat that I'm here talking to you right now. Have a little faith in a fellow geocacher :)

But with the positive response from this topic, I feel there's a good chance the website can develope into something more in the near future :)

(link removed) offers frequent contests and activities related to this site and geocaching in general. The site also has a weekly challenge inviting you to do more of your everyday caching adventures!

It's a fairly new site, but with a decent amount of frequent visitors, it does have potential. It's like caching, but with more twists :)

So why not check it out, and perhaps drop an opinion about it here in this thread?

This is your site you are discussing? Did you ask TPTB if it was ok to promote it here on their dime?

Edited by Rothstafari

This is your site you are discussing? Did you ask TPTB if it was ok to promote it here on their dime?

I'm fairly certain Groundspeak wouldn't mind the promotion of a site supporting their own. It's not like geocontests.wordpress.com crosses geocaching.com. Rather, it's an addition by and for the community. If terracaching.com, or any other similar site, promoted themselves here, it would be an entirely different matter...

Since your site solicits for prize donations I am going to close your thread. If you've obtained permission from Groundspeak then I will be happy to re-open the thread. If this is the case, use the "report this post" feature or send me a PM or e-mail.