Frustrated! Moving to a 60CSx

Fotocacher

I am coming up on week two of owning my brand new Vista HCx, an upgrade to my Legend HCx.

Over the two week period my Vista HCx has frozen on the map view countless times. I was told that my version of Mapsource might be the issue, but after testing it with the Basemap the same thing happened a few more times.

The arrow that represents where you are on the TOPO map is consistently off as well (showing me passed upcoming turns long before I actually arrive to them) is this normal? It wasn’t the case with the Legend.

I have been reading similar issues and find that after spending this amount of money I might as well step it up a notch send it back and move to a 60CSx…so I’m looking for owners of the 60CSx and would like to hear how they like their 60CSX's.

JPL

I'm not familiar with how the Canadian topo maps work-- the US topo maps do not autoroute. When using the US topo maps to autoroute, the unit defaults to the base map, which has much less detail. Is it possible your unit is doing something similar?

Personally, I love my 60CSx--I think it's the best unit on the market right now for geocaching. I've never had any complaint about the way it functions. I have City Select maps and US topo on my unit. I have it set to warn me with one sort of beep 20 seconds before an upcoming turn and then again at the turn...and it shows my true location at all times (well unless I'm on a road that isn't yet on the map, then all bets are of but it recovers quickly once it gets back to a known stretch of road).

I've had a Vista HCx for about 8 months now and have not experienced the problems you describe. Try a hard reset: press and release the power button while also holding down the page and click-stick. You get a message if you want to release all user data. Selecting "yes" resets the unit. If that don't work, submit a RMA request from Garmin.

I see from the Garmin website that Topo Canada has "many routable roads and trails". I have no experience with T-C; the US version has no routable roads. The roads are detailed but are usually off the mark. If the maps worked well with the Legend HCx, they are expected to work the same on the Vista. If the hard reset don't help out, contact Garmin.

Sounds like a possible hardware issue with the unit not a issue specific to the vista hcx which i own. I havent had any problems with mine after it was replaced for having a bad card slot by amazon. The 60 csx and the vista hcx have exactly the same accuracy, from what i understand the vista hcx may even be a bit superior due to the processor. I would exchange your vista hcx rather than buy a 60 csx unless there is another reason you want to upgrade.

The arrow that represents where you are on the TOPO map is consistently off as well (showing me passed upcoming turns long before I actually arrive to them) is this normal? It wasn’t the case with the Legend.

I have been reading similar issues and find that after spending this amount of money I might as well step it up a notch send it back and move to a 60CSx…so I’m looking for owners of the 60CSx and would like to hear how they like their 60CSX's.

JPL

That's normal for TOPO maps. They weren't intended for road navigation, and are years (decades) out of date, in many respects. Upgrading your GPS won't fix that.

Did you ever upgrade the firmware on your Vista? That may have fixed the problem.

I have had my Vista HCx for about ten months now. It shows me in the correct place on the map and has never locked up when used for auto-routing. If you like the form factor of the smaller, more compact Vista HCx, you might just return it for a replacement if Garmin determines there is something wrong.

Apparently NT maps are the culprit when using Canadian TOPO maps. So I have found a free site that downloads TOPO’s…thanks to Ibycus, the master map developer. So I’ll keep my fingers crossed and see if this solves the problem. Also tried a Hard reset….keep your fingers crossed.

JPL`

Might just be able to save my Vista HCx after all :)

I have a 60 CSx, and Ms. Imajeep has a Vista HCx. We're very happy with both units--no freeze-ups on either unit. The Vista actually outperformed my 60 on a recent trip to Yosemite, keeping a signal after mine had lost it during a hike up a narrow canyon.

I love my 60CSx! I am very happy that I bought it. I would recommend that you do some more reaserch on many different GPSr's. When I joined www.geocaching.com they had a side link to some reviews of the new GPSr that had come out, and the 60CSx got rave reviews. So, being a newbie, I bought it with the thought that the reviewer/geocacher really enjoyed it for caching activites, and that was good enough for me. Should I have done some more reaserch? Probably. But if anything happens to my 60 CSx (ie. lost, or stolen like our dig. camera was from the overhead compartment on an airplane-but that's a different thread) I will buy the 60CSx again.

So my Vista HCx froze once again on non-NT maps, and I sent it away for a replacement unit. Sure enough the replacement unit did the same. I’m at a lose. Anyway, I sent that away and purchased the 60 CSx, I am very pleased with the decision and I am looking forward to it’s arrival. I’ll keep you posted!

JPL`