Cache needs maintenance

cantuland

I own 80 geocaches. I would like to see something where, when I go to visit the list of my geocaches, how about putting a little asterisk or something like that next to the geocaches that need maintenance. If you have travel bugs and you keep them too long, you see an asterisk next to it reminding you that something needs done with it. So how about something similar to caches that you own. If someone posts that maintenance is needed, I could see which ones they are so much easier if those geocaches had asterisks next to them...reminding me that something needs done with them.

cantuland

I own 80 geocaches. I would like to see something where, when I go to visit the list of my geocaches, how about putting a little asterisk or something like that next to the geocaches that need maintenance. If you have travel bugs and you keep them too long, you see an asterisk next to it reminding you that something needs done with it. So how about something similar to caches that you own. If someone posts that maintenance is needed, I could see which ones they are so much easier if those geocaches had asterisks next to them...reminding me that something needs done with them.

cantuland

As the OWNER - you will get an E-MAIL that it needs Maintenance - What more do you need? Also the "SWISS FLAG" Icon shows up in the attributes automatically when you get a "Needs Maintenance" log posted to the cache page. Goes away when you perform "Owner Maintenance" and post that type of log.

cantuland

If someone posts a NM log, your cache gets an attribute that it needs maintance. You can probably run a Pocket Queries focused on your caches with that attribute. There is nothing stopping you from posting your own NM log to trigger the attribute so you can remind yourself which you need to take care of when you have time.

I think it would be handy to have this automatically show up on the "my account" page whenever someone logs on. That way, for folks who ignore their email or didn't catch it for whatever reason would see an immediate reminder (like they do with travel bugs) that one of their caches needs some attention.

I can see the point, especially if you have a ton of caches. However, if you have so many caches that you can't keep track of which need maintenance, I'd be inclined to say that you just may have too many caches. :rolleyes:

Just don't delete the maintenance e-mail until you do the maintenance. If I can't get to the maintenance, I'd just flag the e-mail for follow up, pop a note up on the cache page, and get to it as soon as possible.

I think it would be handy to have this automatically show up on the "my account" page whenever someone logs on. That way, for folks who ignore their email or didn't catch it for whatever reason would see an immediate reminder (like they do with travel bugs) that one of their caches needs some attention.

Actually it would be handy. I don't use PQ's the way I posted you could. It would also be nice if we could flag our own caches to show up on our "mycachepage" with a note. Then we are reminded (which has more value to me) every time we check up on some thing in our profile/caches/PMO pages.

Edited by Renegade Knight

This came up in a discussion a while back, and I still agree that it would be nice to have something quick and easy like this to designate caches that need help. Yes, I get my emails, and I can check things by hand. But I tend to forget or put things off, but I do open up my page of owned caches fairly often. If I always had something stick out like this, I'd be less likely to forget or put off maintenance.

I think it would be a nice feature because of some of the "semi-silly" reasons people leave a NM log. I've got them for a cache camera being full, because the rest stop where it is located is temp closed for maintenance, for having a knife in it left as swag etc.... When I get those NM logs - I don't feel very compelled to run off and do a maintenance visit. Then, over time, I forget that it was flagged. When next I visit I can get rid of the attribute but it would be nice to have them easily identified as well.

You can't log a Needs Maintenance to your own cache. It's not an option in the log type box.

I use a second account to log NM to my own caches so I don't space out. A log will come in: log wet, full, cache opened and wet....if I don't flag it RIGHT NOW, I'm gonna forget. I also preview a PQ of my own stuff from time to time looking for NM icons and disabled.

It's really not a function of how many caches I own, it's a function of memory (ain't got none).

This is one of the reasons I have a PDA.

Whenever I get a NM log for one of my caches, I create an entry in my 'To Do' list on the PDA.

I can prioritize the entries, and add details to remind me what the potential problem(s) might be, so I can be prepared to deal with the issue at hand.

Of course one must remember to look at the PDA occasionally! :)

I can see the point, especially if you have a ton of caches. However, if you have so many caches that you can't keep track of which need maintenance, I'd be inclined to say that you just may have too many caches. :)

Just don't delete the maintenance e-mail until you do the maintenance. If I can't get to the maintenance, I'd just flag the e-mail for follow up, pop a note up on the cache page, and get to it as soon as possible.

I second the motion(s).