Coin Thief’s

grp318

I just wanted to vent, so please bare with me. I am sick and tired of people taking geocoins and keeping them. When I buy a geocoin I release them for everyone to enjoy. I also really enjoy finding them. BUT!! I am sick and tired of going to a cache that shows to have a coin inside AND THE COIN IS MIA!!! If someone wants to keep my coin, then ASK!!! I will buy a new one and sent it to them!! I have like 3 coins out there and a few travel bugs! Most of them are sitting in someone’s display case and that really gets under my skin! Geocaching is a GREAT hobby that anyone can enjoy (RICH, POOR, ECT) and it’s great for kids. Bottom line! If you want your own geocoin collection then buy your own! I don’t see how you can enjoy something that does not belong to you. PLEASE FOLLOW THE OWNERS REQUESTS! They bought it for everyone to enjoy! Sorry for venting.

Greg

I think we all feel your pain! It's ok to vent. I personally find that drilling and tagging them seems to slow down the thiefs (though it doesn't keep them from getting lost at the bottom of someone's bag.)

I wish we could just thump all those thieves on the head!

I just wanted to vent, so please bare with me. I am sick and tired of people taking geocoins and keeping them. When I buy a geocoin I release them for everyone to enjoy. I also really enjoy finding them. BUT!! I am sick and tired of going to a cache that shows to have a coin inside AND THE COIN IS MIA!!! If someone wants to keep my coin, then ASK!!! I will buy a new one and sent it to them!! I have like 3 coins out there and a few travel bugs! Most of them are sitting in someone’s display case and that really gets under my skin! Geocaching is a GREAT hobby that anyone can enjoy (RICH, POOR, ECT) and it’s great for kids. Bottom line! If you want your own geocoin collection then buy your own! I don’t see how you can enjoy something that does not belong to you. PLEASE FOLLOW THE OWNERS REQUESTS! They bought it for everyone to enjoy! Sorry for venting.

Greg

Its ok to vent no worries, I dont release coins because of that reason, I spend 10-50 on coins not to have them stolen....an idea you might have is making a color photocopy and lamanite it then send it out that was, then no one will want to seal it...just a idea

Hey don't give up hope. Over a year ago someone made a copy of one of my coins, released the copy and kept the original.

Last week someone said they found my coin in a cache in Arkansas. Turns out that someone had decided to do the right thing and put my coin in a cache without logging it. I'm please to say my coin is back out and about.

Hey don't give up hope. Over a year ago someone made a copy of one of my coins, released the copy and kept the original.

Last week someone said they found my coin in a cache in Arkansas. Turns out that someone had decided to do the right thing and put my coin in a cache without logging it. I'm please to say my coin is back out and about.

I love it when that happens... when the stolen or missing is put back in it's rightful place.

Makeing copys is an idea, but it takes the fun out of it. I like to hold the coin and see the detal.

How does holding on to them work? How do you share them with others? I have sceen a few coins out there that say the location is "in the hands of the owner". That is an idea, but I would still like to share them.

Makeing copys is an idea, but it takes the fun out of it. I like to hold the coin and see the detal.

How does holding on to them work? How do you share them with others? I have sceen a few coins out there that say the location is "in the hands of the owner". That is an idea, but I would still like to share them.

I sent out a copy of the German reviewer coin, due to the fact that my "The Eyes" coin got stolen from the cache i placed it in.

I was attacked for it quite hard, the one who found the copy was really mad at me, took the copy, but didn´t want to log it or place it either... Finally I got him to place it where he found it, but that was a really tough one to me... :)

I certainly know how you feel!

I've even entered coins into the PGR geocoin race, and out of last year's only 1 of them is traveling still, and those were all drilled! Go figure! I guess if someone wants to take a coin bad enough they'll find a way to get at it, no matter what.

I don't really understand the point of stealing ACTIVATED coins myself. I can understand if you like it and want to keep it and drool over it for a little while, but its a travel bug like every one other thats out there that isn't a coin and should be treated as such and travel around.

I've found some copies myself, and many a cache with no coin in there when its supposed to be. The copies are OK, I suppose, but its not as exciting as getting the real thing, but each person is different.

Sorry for my english it isnt the best.

Some people put a coin in there jacet or bag an forget it, later sometimes 1 year later or sesson the find it and put it in a cache.

I am worried becouse a memoranded coin of someone that died and he did lots of things for Geocaching in the Netherlands is missing :)

Ill hope it will be back on his trail.

I lost one coin becouse a cache was ript.

That are the risk, for sending TB's or coins.

But I hate it. :)

But now i am happy :)

If i am going to keep them, i activate them and keep them in a box in my cache bag. That way if you meet me caching or at an event you can discover my coin and get the icon!!

If i may want to trade them at a later date i don't activate them.

I have about 80 coins in my collection at the moment. some active and some are traders. If you came to my house and ased to see them i'd happily empty the box and tell you about every one! :):);)

So tell me, if i steal your coin what am i supposed to do with it? I can't put it in my active collection or i'll get caught when someone wants to discover it ;) , i can't trade it cos it's not mine to trade :) and i can't even just keep it in my box as some one will see it if they ask to see my collection :) .

The joy of geocoins is to share them and watch them travel. If they are not travelling in caches they should be shared with others at events. If you can't do either of those things cos you pinched it then where is the joy. I really don't see the point in stealing.

What i do that annoys the owner is discover and leave it in the cache or take it but then take months to help it on it's way (i always send mail if i am keeping something for a trip).

On the whole send a copy thing, don't do it in the first instance but if one has gone MIA release a copy. But do note on it that it is a copy because the original went MIA and list on the Track page where and when it went MIA.

I do remember a while back a very nasty discussion about releasing copy's. I personally think that if i saw it in a cache i would be disappointed, but if i then look at the trackable page and it was a well travelled coin that had a copy release due to muggles i wouldn't mind.

If you are that worried about your coins that you are sending out photocopies you shouldn't be releaseing your collection!!!

Just my 2pence, Have a great sunday.

I'm off out to get cache 50!!!! :):)

I think you express the single largest frustration to cachers, obviously theft/loss is bound to happen. Even if you sent out coin copies, they may be discarded intentionally or otherwise. It's an unfortunate part of the game. I have not yet sent out any coins to the world, but will start in the next day or two. I'm drilling and tagging live coins for now, but would reluctantly use copies if necessary. I hope I don't have to, because I want to share my coins with the folks out there. However, I am also not putting out any high-dollar coins to travel ($12 and under), but have decided that I would rather put genuine coins and lose a few instead of using the duplicates for now.

Greg

Could't agree more! Have just returned home to France having left 3 Geocoins & 3 Travelbugs in caches on the Costa Brava in Spain. All 6 appear to have been stolen.......why? What is the point? Does it make the thieves happy? I feel really saddened that there are people out there who deliberately steal such things.

Ian

Greg

Hi Gregg: I share you sentiments exactly. We launched a new geocoin about 5 weeks ago in a rural area. We drove down yesterday to pick it up and move it to another more active location (and do some caching as well). We discovered that the only only other log entry since our last visit indicated that the coin had been picked up but not logged (but that's OK -- it's not like gas is expensive or anything like that... :) ). But maybe they will still log it in over time but my gut is that I just lost my first geocoin. I'm holding on the four other coins because I'm still debating with myself if I want to launch them and potentially lose them or just hang onto them. Oh well, maybe it's just the cost of GCing but you'd like to think this would be one sport that would be primarily exempt from this sort of thing.

kathie

I feel your pain. As I was drilling a hole in a Crake Symbology coin last week to attach a geocoin buddy AND a keychain with it's mission encased in plastic, superglue. This is with 1/16th inch steel cable and ferrule. Excessive, your darn right! So now if one of my coins goes missing, I know it is somewhere out there readily identifieable and waiting rescue...might be a month, year or decade...it's still mine.

I have a coin that I did not do that with, it was taken out of a cache, never logged. Maybe someday?

Don't feel bad Greg -

Last June, my wife and I placed 7 geocaches in an otherwise untouched park. Each cache had a shiny new geocoin. Only one of them made it out of the park into another cache and is still traveling. Grin and bear it - and as I have read before.... it's a coin.. not a kidney. Press on!

~J

Hello, i'm geo.error and i do not collect coins but i send them into the world.

There are a few coins of my stolen[missed] but i will send coins into the world.

i watch my coins careful, so i am a kind of big brother of my coins.

I am very headinness, so one coin stolen 2 coins i will set free.

A cointhief wil not spoil my hobby.

I love to find coins in caches, read there mission and place them again in caches.[and get the icon]

I love to read the logs from my coins, see the photo's,and see the country's there go to.

i hope you wil find one day one of my coins.

If you want i will set your coin free into the world [the netherlands.]

please do not be afraid to lose a coin, i think cinamaboxers is right, it is not your kidney, just a stuck metal.

And yes, iam angry when i lost one, but that hold not long on.

when i buy a coin i think there are flowers, if you buy flowers, you can throw them away after 2 weeks.

My coin stays by me , tell i think , oke you can go now.

So i set my "dead flowers"" free into the world, and wow, they are a live again, because i get logs and photo's and....

So when they get lost or stolen it hurts, but flowers you have already throw away in the dust-bin.

:) So enjoy finding my coins and i enjoy finding your coins ;)

:) Cointhieves i hope that my coins will burn a hole in your hand :)

i hope i write understandable, if not please ask and i will explain.

Edited by Geo.Error

Hello, i'm geo.error and i do not collect coins but i send them into the world.

There are a few coins of my stolen[missed] but i will send coins into the world.

i watch my coins careful, so i am a kind of big brother of my coins.

I am very headinness, so one coin stolen 2 coins i will set free.

A cointhief wil not spoil my hobby.

I love to find coins in caches, read there mission and place them again in caches.[and get the icon]

I love to read the logs from my coins, see the photo's,and see the country's there go to.

i hope you wil find one day one of my coins.

If you want i will set your coin free into the world [the netherlands.]

please do not be afraid to lose a coin, i think cinamaboxers is right, it is not your kidney, just a stuck metal.

And yes, iam angry when i lost one, but that hold not long on.

when i buy a coin i think there are flowers, if you buy flowers, you can throw them away after 2 weeks.

My coin stays by me , tell i think , oke you can go now.

So i set my "dead flowers"" free into the world, and wow, they are a live again, because i get logs and photo's and....

So when they get lost or stolen it hurts, but flowers you have already throw away in the dust-bin.

;) So enjoy finding my coins and i enjoy finding your coins ;)

:) Cointhieves i hope that my coins will burn a hole in your hand :)

i hope i write understandable, if not please ask and i will explain.

That is a great explanation, really really great :)

unfortunately, coin thieves are probably not reading the forums. just like people who leave trash and junk in a cache do not read forums. sometimes i feel like writing a cacher and ask them what they are thinking leaving a bullet casing in a cache - they wrote in their cache log. or would they like to find a old steak bone - like the one they left.

i keep my coins and i drop some coins. i am ot giving thieves the satisfaction of knowing they "stole" a coin, because you can't steal something freely given.

rsg