Major geocaching.com site issues?

mwolfgang

I cannot search, or go to the details of any cache, thus making the site unusable. This started early this afternoon, and apparently this is the only way to notify the site admin. I've tried from multiple PCs and with multiple browsers, all with the same result.

If this is a known issue, it would be nice if the site admin posted an announcement on the main page.

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14

Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000

Safari 3.1.1

Matt

Yep. Maybe it's related to my account. I appreciate everyone's responses, but I really wish there was a less public method for submitting site issues. It may be something I've done, and now I'm publicly humiliated. lol

I cannot search, or go to the details of any cache, thus making the site unusable.

This might be a silly question, but are you logged in?

Yep. Maybe it's related to my account. I appreciate everyone's responses, but I really wish there was a less public method for submitting site issues. It may be something I've done, and now I'm publicly humiliated. lol

I cannot search, or go to the details of any cache, thus making the site unusable.

This might be a silly question, but are you logged in?

Pinned at the top of this forum.

The reason for the public manner is so that anybody in the know might be able to help you faster than the lackies.

Edited by TotemLake

OK, I don't know what happened, but now everything works fine...

hmmmmmm

Thanks for the replies,

Matt

I cannot search, or go to the details of any cache, thus making the site unusable. This started early this afternoon, and apparently this is the only way to notify the site admin. I've tried from multiple PCs and with multiple browsers, all with the same result.

If this is a known issue, it would be nice if the site admin posted an announcement on the main page.

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14

Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000

Safari 3.1.1

Matt

Pinned at the top of this forum.

The reason for the public manner is so that anybody in the know might be able to help you faster than the lackies.

I tried to follow the format of that post. I searched the forums, and everything I found pointed to periodic site/db issues. I did leave out #6, which is in another post.

I don't know what happened, but it's all good now.

Thanks again,

Matt

Edited by mwolfgang

I don't know what happened, but it's all good now.

Thanks again,

Matt

Oops! I spoke too soon, it's not working again.

It broke when I tried to open the geocaching.com url for GCJFYC from gsak.

Matt

Edited by mwolfgang

I've been having similar problems over the last few days: Search pages that just come up blank (viewing the source shows nothing, not even empty html tags). Sometimes the pages work after pressing F5 to refresh, but more often than not stay blank. Switching from Firefox to IE doesn't help either. Static web pages like www.geocaching.com/seek seem to be fine - it's searches and cache pages that have the problem. Other websites are unaffected. Leaving it and coming back later seemed to work, but as I write, everything's started to go pear-shaped again...

I am using OS: Windows XP MCE SP2

Browser: Firefox 2.0.0.14

Alt Browser: Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

Example problem URLs (both worked earlier today, but are now failing for me):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc1a05m

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...mp;lon=-2.61855

JRI.

Sounds like you guys may be bumping up against the site throttling. If you are opening X number of pages in Y amount of time (both seem to be somewhat random and unpublicized to prevent workarounds) the site thinks you are not human and are a software program scraping data from the site (which is a violation of the site's terms of use) and serves up blank pages for Z amount of time.

Sounds like you guys may be bumping up against the site throttling. If you are opening X number of pages in Y amount of time (both seem to be somewhat random and unpublicized to prevent workarounds) the site thinks you are not human and are a software program scraping data from the site (which is a violation of the site's terms of use) and serves up blank pages for Z amount of time.

This must be what happens to me when I click on the links in emails telling me of new caches in the area. I only click on one link at a time, delete that email, and click on the link in the next email. I don't think I am opening the links "rapid fire," and I have a 28.8 dialup connection, so it is frustrating that the pages don't open. :)

When I Stop the pages, and hit Reload, they open right away . . . :)

Miragee, that doesn't sound like throttling on GC.com's end. One runs into throttling when going down a list, rapid-fire, and clicking links one after another to launch new browser windows or tabs to display cache pages. Pausing for a "human" amount of time, like the interval necessary to move from e-mail 1 to e-mail 2 and find the link, should be enough to avoid throttling.

This is precisely the same issue I am having. I've tried with Firefox, IE, and Safari on multiple computers with multiple OS's from multiple locations, and have had the same problem every time. Then for no apparent reason it starts working again.

Matt

I've been having similar problems over the last few days: Search pages that just come up blank (viewing the source shows nothing, not even empty html tags). Sometimes the pages work after pressing F5 to refresh, but more often than not stay blank. Switching from Firefox to IE doesn't help either. Static web pages like www.geocaching.com/seek seem to be fine - it's searches and cache pages that have the problem. Other websites are unaffected. Leaving it and coming back later seemed to work, but as I write, everything's started to go pear-shaped again...

I am using OS: Windows XP MCE SP2

Browser: Firefox 2.0.0.14

Alt Browser: Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

Example problem URLs (both worked earlier today, but are now failing for me):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc1a05m

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...mp;lon=-2.61855

JRI.

To the OP. Instead of posting here you can always write contact@geocaching.com for help. This is the customer service email address. They will be happy to help.

Thanks for the info, I wish this email address was on the contact page.

Matt