Caching using a mobile phone - a moment of epiphany

I've had my little Sony Ericsson K800i for quite some time now (20 months) and mostly use it as a camera (reason acquired) and occasionally as a phone (it has a rather decent 3.1 mega pixel camera all be it with a tiny lens - and I don't have many friends :D ).

A couple of months ago I discovered that I was talked into a £5 a month extra surcharge for free evenings and weekend unlimited Internet use when I signed up (I don't remember that happening but... it probably did :rolleyes: )

So I've been using the interweb thigumy quite a lot recently via the phone. The one major gripe I've had is that Geocaching.com is absolutely and painfully, SLOW, as are most other web sites via the phone. Friends get impatient and even give up as I navigate through the menus taking 5-10 minutes to do 3-4 menu hops just to get basic cache descriptions or nearby cache information.

No more - I can thoroughly recommend downloading the Opera browser. It's IMMENSELY faster than the inbuilt browser. So many more options about how to view and how to present the information. For the first time, it feels like browsing the web ... on my phone!

I know there will be many out there with "I told you so" stories - but I didn't know it was possible until now - I assumed browsing web sites on the mobile phone was as sluggish and time consuming as the Sony browser makes it to be, regardless of the browser used because of bandwidth.

For the first time I can now surf through the Geocaching web sites almost as quickly as using a mouse/screen interface, on the move. Granted, typing in text takes a tad longer as you have to do that SMS style - but just waiting for a page to change from a blank screen (often taking up to a minute) to getting results in seconds... :wub::):D

I'm sure others have posted similar information in the past - but I feel so elated at the moment with my new mobile outlet (i.e. Live Geocaching on the move at no extra cost at evenings and weekends) that I wanted to tell someone else... I hope you understand B)

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

The wap interface is fine for basic interactions - but I find the 3G connection fast enough to operate Opera both in "normal" web browsing mode (where it draws the page exactly as it was meant to be drawn and you then zoom into the relevant parts) and also in mobile mode.

The only anomaly at the moment is that the tick that shows you've already visited a cache doesn't appear in mobile mode. Any suggestions? Everything else seems to work well and quickly enough.

Wap interface is good to use during weekdays when I have to pay for my bandwidth - but evening and weekends, when I get unlimited bandwidth - the normal web site is now very accessible from my mobile.

The only anomaly at the moment is that the tick that shows you've already visited a cache doesn't appear in mobile mode. Any suggestions?

You sure you're logged in? If you are then it may be worth posting on the website forum where you may find someone else that also uses this method of viewing the site?

just downloaded opera and its heaps better than before! thanks for tip.

Isn't it just? I really like the way it brings in the web site in its original intended format as a zoomed out image. You can't really read anything in this mode but it gives you the feeling that you're actually surfing the real web on a mobile phone (for me anyway). You can then zoom into the relevant section quickly.

Even its mobile mode is better and far faster than the native browser supplied by Sony Ericsson. The whole experience still works well when not in a 3G enabled area (I live right on the edge of 3G land in South Wales - the next cells along west don't support it!).

Is any one else out there Caching on an N95?

It has some advantages, you always have your GPS, Camera, Telephone, Map, and routeplanner with you.

Trimble's free Geocache Navigator ads even more to your to your capabilities.

Disadvantages, running out of mobile reception at key moment.

If you are within 10m of a tree you will be within a 100 meters of the cache (N95's hate tree cover).

It works better in tree cover upside down trust me you get some wierd looks and fall over allot of stuff. I look at where I live!

You try to take a photo and all the other applications shut down and you have to restart it all...

But I cannot recommend View Ranger enough...

Enough of useless drawl, time to find Opera!

Thanks for the tip

GerritS

PS did I mention an N95 poor battery life?

Edited by GerritS

Hywel we really should have spoken mobile techy stuff at the South Wales Event I have been using Opera Mini since its early beta days :lol:

PS did I mention an N95 poor[b/] battery life?

Is the swear filter putting poor in instead of ******* ***** **** now :rolleyes:

Edited by Matrix

Is any one else out there Caching on an N95?

It has some advantages, you always have your GPS, Camera, Telephone, Map, and routeplanner with you.

Trimble's free Geocache Navigator ads even more to your to your capabilities.

Disadvantages, running out of mobile reception at key moment.

If you are within 10m of a tree you will be within a 100 meters of the cache (N95's hate tree cover).

It works better in tree cover upside down trust me you get some wierd looks and fall over allot of stuff. I look at where I live!

You try to take a photo and all the other applications shut down and you have to restart it all...

But I cannot recommend View Ranger enough...

Enough of useless drawl, time to find Opera!

Thanks for the tip

GerritS

PS did I mention an N95 poor battery life?

GerritS, I believe the N95 GPS antenna is under the keypad. I've had better GPS performance with the N95 when I slide the keypad open and then navigate to the cache with the keypad open. Unfortunately, the N95 GPS is not quite as sensitive as some other smartphones. The Blackberry Curve GPS performance is simply outstanding for example.

Rich at Trimble

Err!! Hi All.

Have to be very careful what I say here, I work in the mobile phone industry!!!

The perfomance of most "mobiles" is a bit hit and miss and may not be "what you think you bought".

Pinch of salt with eveything your sold/told.

Anything else, E-mail me only, not for public quotes.

Cheers

Nick

Pinch of salt with eveything your sold/told.

Yep can agree with that quote.

I was in a High st phone shop yesterday, (one of those Warehouse type!) being given the hard sell, shown the N95 and the Orbit by the keen salesman.

As soon as I started asking questions (dumb blonde simple ones rather than highly technical), his face went blank and said 'Well its a learning curve for you'.

Left the shop quicker than I arrived.