Does anyone have any suggestions on setting up an earthcache?

halftrack guy

I've been thinking about setting up an earthcache in my area (Southbay San Diego), but have a feeling that there is a little more to the cache than just setting it up. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on earthcache setup and maintenance? I have done a few here in SD, so I do get the concept behind an earthcache.

I've been thinking about setting up an earthcache in my area (Southbay San Diego), but have a feeling that there is a little more to the cache than just setting it up. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on earthcache setup and maintenance? I have done a few here in SD, so I do get the concept behind an earthcache.

I have an Earthcache Morros Earthcache that requires no maintenance and I created it by asking several geography professors at our local colleges what would be the best examples in our area of interesting geographical sites. Then it just took some research, a hike or two up there and creating it. Nothing difficult.

Here are the guidelines. You have to get the landowner's permission for an Earthcache to be Approved and Published.

When you describe earthcaching to the landowner, be sure to explain the difference between earthcaching and geocaching. Specifically, earthcaches are owned and approved by the Geological Society of America (GSA) and only listed by GC... You don't have to mention geocaching at all to gain permission, and it might be easier that way.

When you describe earthcaching to the landowner, be sure to explain the difference between earthcaching and geocaching. Specifically, earthcaches are owned and approved by the Geological Society of America (GSA) and only listed by GC... You don't have to mention geocaching at all to gain permission, and it might be easier that way.

You will definately get a better reception if you don't mention geocaching. Stress the educational aspect and the "virtual" nature of earthcaches.

If you don't get a response or a "who cares" type of response, that is good enough.

After the initial locals grab the earthcache you can expect about 1 ot 5 visits a month for somewhat popular locations. Maintenance is responding to the e-mails and checking access if someone suggests things have changed.

Are you looking for a suggestion on a location?

How do you get written approval from the landowner? How can no response be good enough when written approval is required?

Thanks, I'm working on an idea for an earthcache also :o

I usually just get e-mail answers. I initially e-mal the manager with the concept as an intro. Then after the concept is approved, I send the coordinates and writeup and get an e-mail answer.

I've gotten verbal approval a few times. A couple of places I've left messages and sent e-mails with no response. I've put that in my submittal and the earthcaches have been approved.

That doesn't work for Federal Properties, National Parks, Forests, BLM, etc.

An added "selling point" especially for managed parks with low visitation rates is the potential for increased visitation, and revenue. This worked very well for me when working with a sector superintendent of the California State Park system. I was completely transparent with the Supt. providing him with waypoints, and a map showing the spots where I wanted to highlight the geological features. Each spot was chosen for the geological merit, as well areas that were non sensitive, or visible from clearly marked trails.

Here is the fruit of my labor. Red Rock Canyon State Park.

An idea that I'm pursuing here in Johannesburg, South africa is to have a number of local earthcaches along a theme.

Johannesburg is really the product of gold being discovered in 1886. So all the earthcaches I have come from the local Geological Society and a local University geological departments information.

I have built a number of caches around the theme of a mineral rich area, including the plutonic igneous intrusions, various deposits around the gold bearing ore layers and then the final gold mining activity.

This is working well for me.

But I will soon be moving on to new earthcaches elsewhere in South Africa. But there is no shortage of opportunties for caches - it is trying not to make them too technical or difficult that is often my problem to encourage other cachers to do them.

I always stress that as long as you are learning, I'm not too worried about the answers you provide.

I agree w/TerryDad2

Given the occasional negative news item [emergency or law enforcement response] on geochaching, you may want to stress the lack of a container and all of the rooting around that may be associated w/it. There would be no illusions of the activity, which is potential problem w/any micro…

Would someone consider posting an example of a request letter to give us newbies an idea of what is expected?

My "basic form letter" is on anotehr hard drive right now (One I can't get to) but...

First, I try to make my first contact in person, if possible. It's just harder to say "No" in person, and it lets me have the chance to gauge the reaction and tailor my presentation to the right person.

If I do have to write to a distant park "manager", I introduce myself first (I'm a science teacher, member of the local X group etc etc--something to show my interest in the place and to connect with that spot as much as possible. If you're an avid hiker or photographer, say so)

Then I tell them about my recent visit to that spot and list a couple of things I really liked. Next I inform them that I'm writing because one of those things would be a perfect spot for an earthcache.

The next couple of lines tell them what earthcaches are (sponsored by the GSA, webpages that provide coordinates and explanation of what to expect when the visitor gets there, might include photos, will include an opportunity to learn more about how that unique feature came to exist).

I give the URL for earthcache.org and explain they will review the submission before it is approved and will need the contact info for the person allowing the property coordinates to be listed. Since I already have a few earthcaches, I link to one or two of mine that are similar to the one I want to make. If you don't have any, you could still link to similar ones that someone else made. (Hint here: If you are trying to get into a type of place that has never allowed any caches, it's good to show them a similar place that has allowed any type of earthcache).

I offer to let them review the information before I submit it (so far all but one contact person has turned that down--they usually just ask to have the URL of the completed page forwarded to them). I thank them profusely for their time.

I give them my full name, home address, home and work and cell telephone number and invite them to call me if they have any additional questions.

Oh yeah, and unlike the usual way I write, I keep it short! They usually aren't as long as the explanation I have here.

Would someone consider posting an example of a request letter to give us newbies an idea of what is expected?

Sorry no form letter... I usually speak w/the park manager to ensure an understanding of the situation. This will help if the "suites" have any questions upon review. So far I only have 3 ECs but all have been permitted. The permit is basically informational and allows the staff to be aware of the cache in the area. This is more helpfull w/standard geocaches, particularly w/maintenence issues.

Just a note here more and more parks seem to be looking into geocaching as a "park activity"...

You will definately get a better reception if you don't mention geocaching. Stress the educational aspect and the "virtual" nature of earthcaches.

If you don't get a response or a "who cares" type of response, that is good enough.

Ah. That explains some things. I was wondering how one got permission for an earthcache where you have to stop to the side of a highway, underneath an Interstate.

Ah. That explains some things. I was wondering how one got permission for an earthcache where you have to stop to the side of a highway, underneath an Interstate.

I've never tried that with an earthcache--but I may have some advice on that--I'd check with the nearest state police post. They can tell you if it's legal to stop there and it may save them some trouble, too. Many times they can even suggest a good place to suggest people park if the side of the road is off limits or too dangerous.

I collect rocks/fossil samples, and road cuts can be good places to find exposed strata. It's not unusual for people to call the local state police post to report "a woman may be having car trouble" at such and such a place. I call the locals ahead of time so they don't have to make a run out there to check on me.