First to Find "Tribute Caches"...

I've just been reading a thread about this over in Geocaching Topics and I was wondering if anyone has come across this idea over this side of the Pond...

It seems that when a cacher is approaching a significant milestone then their friends may set up a "Tribute Cache" for them to find with the request in the cache description "Please let cacher XXXXX be First to Find on this cache".

Now, I know I live in darkest Wales, but I've never seen this set up before: I've seen geocachers given geocoins to mark milestones and I've seen TBs released to celebrate something special, but I've never seen a "Reserved FTF Cache" set for someone...

Your thoughts, please?

MrsB :rolleyes:

This is a serious sport, we can't expect some old clogger to take his/her time to be TFTF to a new cache - are we expected to queue up until it he/she turns up - I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Anyway, who reads all the write up before rushing out to bag it first??? :wub:

I've not seen that, but what I have seen is cachers arranging a get together (not necessarily an event) to give people at significant milestones (1000 say) a gold painted ammo box. I don't whether these generally get put out as caches or whether they are kept.

Much better than a FTF handed to them on a plate.

I have 2 tribute caches, but they are named after people and not really there for them to be FTF. when I started caching 1 guy seemed to have set most of the caches in my area so to let him have something to find for a change I set one and called it "One for GLee in Donaghadee"

The seond I named after ruffling someones feathers once (not like me I know) as a way of apology I set "By the Sea for RosMcC" the only problem with that one now is I have had downgrade the container size and move it to a drive by location which isn't great but the thought was there.

I've just been reading a thread about this over in Geocaching Topics and I was wondering if anyone has come across this idea over this side of the Pond...

It seems that when a cacher is approaching a significant milestone then their friends may set up a "Tribute Cache" for them to find with the request in the cache description "Please let cacher XXXXX be First to Find on this cache".

Now, I know I live in darkest Wales, but I've never seen this set up before: I've seen geocachers given geocoins to mark milestones and I've seen TBs released to celebrate something special, but I've never seen a "Reserved FTF Cache" set for someone...

Your thoughts, please?

MrsB :)

here is one :)

Your thoughts, please?

MrsB :)

Here is another one HERE

Although it never mentioned 'reserved' on the page, a lot of thought went into it by the cache setter.

I'd guess the simplest solution would be to give the cacher in question the coords before it is published as a regular cache for all to find - a practice that I believe already happens.

Yeah, but... no, but... yeah, but what would be the point... really? :) So they go and find the cache and write their name on the first pristine page of the log book... But does that really counts as a FTF, when nobody else knew it was there? :) Or do they just have the honour of hunting it without the rush of a FTF chase?

We've never been FTF Chasers - The few that we've got have just been very local ones where we just happened to be free to go out and find it as soon as we noticed the cache go live. I just feel that the whole fun of getting a FTF is to (occasionally :) ) win the race. A race with only one runner isn't very exciting.

It's interesting to read other cachers' comments, though.

MrsB

I like the idea of Tribute caches, but not sure about reserving it... Would be kinda neat to spot a fellow local cacher is approaching a milestone and find a way of releasing a cache without their knowledge to see if they "bite" and go for it... Geocaching fishing :) dangle the bait and see if they bite :) Would be even cooler if it was a surprise and they didn't know it was a tribute cache until they opened it up.

J

A FTF without a level playing field is pretty meaningless, but the idea of tribute caches is a nice one. I had one placed for me and I was very flattered. Having it held for me until I found it would have felt wrong, and would put me under pressure to cache when, perhaps, I'd have been busy with real life, or just not in the mood for it.

Edited by Simply Paul