Photo feature!

sk8er1113

I guess the best way to tell if your pictures are great, are if they land on the banner page. :)

That's not necessarily true. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous ones that have never made it to the banner. Some people have uploaded a lot of great pictures but have never had one make it to the front page- yet. Sometimes it may be who you know that helps...but I think it's mainly just a matter of catching someones eye at the right moment. I've had one picture make it- and I don't upload too many. Strange thing is- I thought it was good, but not the best one I did that trip. Sure is cool when one does make it tho. :mad:

On topic- comments may be nice, might even post one once in a while. Ratings? Ugh.

My comment was kind of a joke. :o I was wondering if someone would catch it. Very true, sometimes the pictures on the banner aren't even that great, but they're able to be zoomed in and catch some aspect of geocaching that works well on a banner. There are so many incredible pictures on gc.com to choose from, Groundspeak could go crazy trying to look through them. And even if they're beautiful, the composition or subject matter might not translate well to the banner. And like you said, sometimes it's who you know, or what a Groundspeak employee might just happen to be looking at, right at that moment.

somebody said that if i was going to be negative, i should give reasons.

why?

i'm not "being negative", i'm answering the question. the OP wanted to know if we thought it would be a good idea. i don't.

then someone (and i forget who and don't care to look) said why bother posting photos if you don't want comments?

huh?

i'm not running for prom queen and i don't want online validation from people i never met and don't care about.

when i post my photos, they have all the commentary i want them to have: MINE.

tangentially related: i keep a blog. i started doing it for my own amusement and never thought anyone would read it. occasionally someone comments, which sometimes makes it a two-way discussion. if,however, all you've got to say is "great blog!" i'd just as well you kept your comments to yourself.

i'm not interested to be rated, tagged, or commented on. i do not subscribe to buddy lists of any kind, and i don't want "friends", if you can call people-who-once-looked-at-your-stuff-and-are-hoping-to-boost-their-comments-on-what-they've-posted "friends".

i don't care if you read my logs or look at my pictures and i sure as shootin' don't want you to interject your imbecilic content-deprived "great picture! come look at my website!" into my narrative, which is for my own amusement, and maybe for the amusement of the cache owner, who invited me to the party.

in short, i get enough attention at home and don't need to fish for compliments.

there.

aren't you glad i took the time to explain it instead of just saying i didn't like it?

I guess the best way to tell if your pictures are great, are if they land on the banner page. :)

That's not necessarily true. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous ones that have never made it to the banner. Some people have uploaded a lot of great pictures but have never had one make it to the front page- yet. Sometimes it may be who you know that helps...but I think it's mainly just a matter of catching someones eye at the right moment. I've had one picture make it- and I don't upload too many. Strange thing is- I thought it was good, but not the best one I did that trip. Sure is cool when one does make it tho. :)

On topic- comments may be nice, might even post one once in a while. Ratings? Ugh.

I agree, I have also seen some on the main page that were nothing special. That's pretty cool that you had one on there, do they notify you?

Are you referring to cache or photo ratings? :(

I'll say it again. Someone needs to create a site (maybe even GS) where popular requests are listed and you can rate those requests 1 to 5 depending upon how bad you want to see them implemented to the website. Of course you could only vote something like once a month, blah, blah, etc. This would be beneficial to both GS and the forum users.

[Rant On] Stop staying ridiculously silly things like "I don't want people to rate my photos". It's like you guys just discovered the internet yesterday! But, we know it's not true because you have thousands of posts combined and I'm sure are very internet savy!

For JIMMINY CHRISTMAS of course you will be able to ENABLE or DISABLE the feature. And I know you realize this, it's just like your trying to stir the pot.

On the page I'm typing right now ALONE, I can ENABLE/DISABLE emoticons, signature, email notifications and I"m sure I'm missing a few! Not to mention the HUGE list of other features you can ENABLE/DISABLE on most pages/accounts/logs/cahces, etc. you visit.[Rant off]

I think the real discussion lies in "Is the amount of work required to implement this feature balanced by the demand"

My solution would give at least an indication.

Edited by Morning Dew

For JIMMINY CHRISTMAS of course you will be able to ENABLE or DISABLE the feature. And I know you realize this, it's just like your trying to stir the pot.

On the page I'm typing right now ALONE, I can ENABLE/DISABLE emoticons, signature, email notifications and I"m sure I'm missing a few! Not to mention the HUGE list of other features you can ENABLE/DISABLE on most pages/accounts/logs/cahces, etc. you visit.[Rant off]

I think the real discussion lies in "Is the amount of work required to implement this feature balanced by the demand"

By solution would give at least an indication.

ah, but i want to make sure people aren't leaving comments on my photos, not just that i don't see them. that's an important difference.

i would no sooner use an emoticon than i would stuff my nose with pudding, and yet people use these things.

and wherever there's a culture of comments and ratings, things take a turn for the cheap and tawdry. i don't want to see it. therefore i wish not only to not see them myself, but i will prefer it if this feature doesn't ever make itself available in this venue.

you may go ahead and rant as if i am a mental defective with no concept of how the internet works, but in fact i understand all to well many of the social phenomena that are so pervasive these days and i wish to avoid these for the geocaching community not just for myself, but for others.

you may choose to see me as forcing my views on others, but were a thing like this to be implemented, it would be other people's views forced on me.

i know which i prefer.

additionally, there's no guarantee that you will be able to enable and disable any new feature. one would hope, but you can't count on it. i'd LOVE to disable everyone's cell phone notifications of new caches; i remember when hunting first finds required some effort and ingenuity. nowadays all it takes is a phone and they hand it right to you.

and no, they do not notify you when your photos make the banner.

Good post. Only one comment. I'm too lazy to look up the agreement you check when you became a member but my guess is the reason they don't notify you when they post "your" photos.....Is because they aren't 'YOUR' photos. They are THEIR photos.

Again, I think I make the mistake of seeing thousand of posts below people's user names and assume what I believe to be general knowledge, is not.

Edited by Morning Dew

I guess the best way to tell if your pictures are great, are if they land on the banner page. ;)

That's not necessarily true. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous ones that have never made it to the banner. Some people have uploaded a lot of great pictures but have never had one make it to the front page- yet. Sometimes it may be who you know that helps...but I think it's mainly just a matter of catching someones eye at the right moment. I've had one picture make it- and I don't upload too many. Strange thing is- I thought it was good, but not the best one I did that trip. Sure is cool when one does make it tho. :)

I agree, I have also seen some on the main page that were nothing special. That's pretty cool that you had one on there, do they notify you?

Are you referring to cache or photo ratings? :)

I think by and large the pictures chosen for the front are very good. Some aren't ones I'd choose, but thats just personal preference- they're still good picture.

No, as flask said, they don't notify you. I kinda like it that way tho, a nice surprise. :(

As far as ratings: I'm not really disposed towards ratings for either. I've had some wonderful times looking for what many would consider 'lame' and some awful times looking for caches that get lots of praise. I like to decide for and experience each cache for myself. I have heard some interesting ideas for ratings systems but so far none that I'd jump into head first. I'd probably look at them occasionally and wonder what the heck someone was thinking when they rated something a certain way. I don't think I'd ever rate something myself tho.

I don't really care about comments... but I would really like to see a tagging feature.

I like taking pictures of travel bugs for people, but I hate how they all show up in my profile page. It'd also be nice if pictures other people have taken of me would show up on my profile. If you don't like a picture someone tagged of you, you just remove the tag.

Maybe someone should make a new thread for photo tagging, because all the negativity in this thread is toward picture comments and I don't want them lumped together.

I don't really care about comments... but I would really like to see a tagging feature.

I like taking pictures of travel bugs for people, but I hate how they all show up in my profile page. It'd also be nice if pictures other people have taken of me would show up on my profile. If you don't like a picture someone tagged of you, you just remove the tag.

Maybe someone should make a new thread for photo tagging, because all the negativity in this thread is toward picture comments and I don't want them lumped together.

there's a difference between "negativity" and having a negative opinion of something.

i also don't care for the tagging idea.

but if you'd like to turn the tables and toss around labels for people, i think the photos are perfect the way they are now. why aren't all you negative people happy with that?

...but one thing that it is missing is a COMMENT section...

Ugh... no thanks!

I love posting pictures to cache finds and TB logs, it is a lot of FUN. If I have to start worrying about people posting negative comments to my images, then the FUN will be GONE. If anyone wants to comment on any of my images, they are free to send me a private message through my Geocaching profile.

I apologize to sk8er1113, I don't usually post dissenting opinions of other folks ideas; however, I find this suggestion particularly objectionable.

:blink:

[i don't want other cachers commenting about my photos.

Me either. The problem with rating systems is that not all like the same type thing. Where some think your cammoed micro cache hidden 100 ft into the PI was a total blast, the next cacher probably used your name in vain in a very vocal manner, three or four times through the next week. Where some might believe your pic with the thumb hanging over the lens is very "artsy", others wonder what DA posted that thing. All the variations between are also possible.

I post my logs and pics for the cache owner's enjoyment and as a part of my record of finds. I really don't need a bunch of persons judging them, I don't need or want your approval. If you like it, good! If you don't, I don't care!

So with that suggestion... I would opt NOT to upload my pictures. I don't want the hassle of monitoring comments or tags on my pictures. I'm pretty prolific with my photography and that would be just too much work for something that's supposed to be fun for me.

Pictures I upload are included into my gallery and pictorially document the reason I play this game. I don't need someone's approval, disapproval or validation of the picture so long as it doesn't display 1) the hide location and 2) it doesn't show something obscene.

Edited by TotemLake

let's not confuse "negativity" with a negative opinion of a specific thing.

i don't want my photos tagged, labeled, or commented on. if i wanted that, i'd get me a facebook account.

my photos serve one purpose and one purpose only: to document my cache hunt and to tell the story of it. if you were there and want to tell your story, you post your own photos. if you like my photos, that's fine. i'm glad you enjoy them. i'm not interested in you labeling or tagging them.

i have posted way too many photos for me to want to have to go through them and remove other people's graffiti, which is what i consider comments and tags to be.