Photo feature!

sk8er1113

Me, I've just started using flickr. It's free, after all, and supports a lot of cool stuff... of course, it also means that you have to inline your photos (or similar) rather than using GC's cool little pop-up feature. Guess it's a bit of a trade off, though.

Yes, I think if you want the focus to be on the photos, use a photo site (you could link to it from your logs...).

Me, I've just started using flickr. It's free, after all, and supports a lot of cool stuff... of course, it also means that you have to inline your photos (or similar) rather than using GC's cool little pop-up feature. Guess it's a bit of a trade off, though.

You have a good point, but I don't think people wouldn't want to go back and forth between sites.

Also, some people are not registered with Flickr and they most likely will not register just to comment.

Thanks for the input. :rolleyes:

[i just use flickr]

You have a good point, but I don't think people wouldn't want to go back and forth between sites.

Also, some people are not registered with Flickr and they most likely will not register just to comment.

Thanks for the input. :rolleyes:

Well, flickr has the added benefit of piggy-backing on folks Yahoo IDs and that's part of the reason I had initially started using it... and figured by now most people on the planet are registered with them, Google, or MS... the later two just don't (or didn't) have anything I thought was that usable, at the time.

But yeah... going back and forth is slightly cumbersome, but it's less cumbersome (to me) than uploading pictures one-at-a-time through a web interface, such as the one here, in my opinion -- and that's pretty much the reason that I now just use flickr these days (bulk editing/uploading/management)... then again, I tend to take way too many pictures, too (in the theory that I might get a good one once in a while!)... *laugh*

As you say... all a matter of personal preference...

Edit: grammar and clarification

Edited by russellvt

I'm all about taking pictures and sharing my caching adventures! The photo features on the site are great, but one thing that it is missing is a COMMENT section. If you agree, please back me up in a reply. Thanks!! :)

I'd much rather see Cache ratings first, and I think it's been made clear that that will not happen, so I doubt a photo rating system ever would either.

I'm all about taking pictures and sharing my caching adventures! The photo features on the site are great, but one thing that it is missing is a COMMENT section. If you agree, please back me up in a reply. Thanks!! :)

I'd much rather see Cache ratings first, and I think it's been made clear that that will not happen, so I doubt a photo rating system ever would either.

I don't want other cachers commenting about my photos.

As for the Cache rating system, I actually asked Jeremy about a system, when I met him at Geowoodstock 6. He did mention that he had given plenty of thought lately, and was considering a voluntary system where cache owners can choose to implement the feature, if they wanted to. They would also have the option to remove the rating system if they wanted too.

So what is the point of uploading them, if you are not interested in what others think of them? From what I can see, yours are pretty good, but of course, you don't want to know that! :)

I can't speak for Kit Fox, but I also don't want cachers commenting on my photos so I'll answer the question based on my reason :) . While I know some (maybe many) people consider online logs are for the cache owners benefit, I consider my online logs are for my benefit. I use them as a record of my time caching and that includes pictures. I don't really want or care to have others comment on my pictures.

So what is the point of uploading them, if you are not interested in what others think of them? From what I can see, yours are pretty good, but of course, you don't want to know that! :rolleyes:

Thanx for backing me up Fuchsiamagic, that was pretty funny! :D

I definitely agree that we should have the option of not having people comment.

But even you naysayers must admit that those of us who do want the feedback should have the option.

The way I see it is win/win, if they did add the feature it would by default be disabled. -Sk8er

I definitely agree that we should have the option of not having people comment.

But even you naysayers must admit that those of us who do want the feedback should have the option.

The way I see it is win/win, if they did add the feature it would by default be disabled. -Sk8er

Ya know... Technically you're now asking for two features... the ability to comment and the ability to select if it's enabled or not... that's an extra database column in the user database, for sure! :rolleyes:

I agree... it'd be a cool feature. But, I'd much prefer cache ratings, first... which, I'm sure, will also require the ability to turn that display on or off on a per-cache basis or open up a whole new can of worms about ignore lists (ie. making it difficult for people to "attack" the rating of cachers they don't like -- at least without sock puppets), and probably a few other issues as well...

So what is the point of uploading them, if you are not interested in what others think of them? From what I can see, yours are pretty good, but of course, you don't want to know that! :rolleyes:

If someone wants to comment about my pictures, they are free to contact me via my GC profile. In my opinion, the comments would be a great spot for "users unknown," to post silly comments. Take a moment to read all the silly comments / debates beneath Youtube videos. Is that what we want here?

My wife and I take picture of our experiences at geocaches, to share with everyone. I often pick geocaches to hunt based on the photo galleries. My favorite caches usually have the most images.

I see the comments section as a "teenager / myspace" addition to geocaching. We've made it 8 years without a photo comment section.

I'm not uploading my pictures because they're anything grand or need to be rated by someone. These are like a visual journal of my experience at the cache.

I guess the best way to tell if your pictures are great, are if they land on the banner page. :D

If someone wants to comment about my pictures, they are free to contact me via my GC profile. In my opinion, the comments would be a great spot for "users unknown," to post silly comments. Take a moment to read all the silly comments / debates beneath Youtube videos. Is that what we want here?

My wife and I take picture of our experiences at geocaches, to share with everyone. I often pick geocaches to hunt based on the photo galleries. My favorite caches usually have the most images.

I see the comments section as a "teenager / myspace" addition to geocaching. We've made it 8 years without a photo comment section.

I'd like to think that we cachers are of a better breed and I would not foresee the comments becoming a problem. But worse case, you could always delete them. :rolleyes:

I can't speak for Kit Fox, but I also don't want cachers commenting on my photos so I'll answer the question based on my reason :rolleyes: . While I know some (maybe many) people consider online logs are for the cache owners benefit, I consider my online logs are for my benefit. I use them as a record of my time caching and that includes pictures. I don't really want or care to have others comment on my pictures.

As much a contradiction (to my other posts) this might sound, I pretty much agree with the above post almost perfectly... my only contention (if you could call it that) is that I probably couldn't care less if people comment on my photos... though I'll admit that it's also kinda fun, especially with personal friends.

I tend to use pictures document my own journeys and such, and they're often fun to look back on as memories... and, I don't really care if someone wants to comment on my pictures or what-not, so I put them on flickr to share with my non-caching friends, a bunch more strangers, as well as to be able to include them in any logs, other websites, or whatever.. But it boils down to it that I pretty much take and post my pictures for me.

Edit: grammar

Edited by russellvt

I'd like to think that we cachers are of a better breed and I would not foresee the comments becoming a problem. But worse case, you could always delete them. :rolleyes:

Stick around. You ain't seen nuthin' yet. :D

Edited by TotemLake

Hardly. This is a MUCH more mature audience - as evidenced by the crowd I met at GWVI and local events.

I think what you'd see would be more akin to the comments secions below photos on flickr. All positive, interesting comments, very welcomed by the photo takers.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want people complementing you on your photos. That's all photos get on flickr. There generally aren't youtube-like inane rants, trust me.

The "We've made it 8 years without..." negative attitude is the reason the Web Site Forum here is worthless. ANY suggestion gets knocked down immediately. Back up your claims with evidence. I see no evidence that photo comments would be immature. Cache logs aren't..

Edited by benh57

I'd like to think that we cachers are of a better breed

I always wonder why people think that. Cachers are just people from the general population -- there is no "better breed" litmus test to be one. There are all kinds of people in the world, and there are all kinds of cachers -- good, bad, and in-between.

I'd like to think that we cachers are of a better breed

I always wonder why people think that. Cachers are just people from the general population -- there is no "better breed" litmus test to be one. There are all kinds of people in the world, and there are all kinds of cachers -- good, bad, and in-between.

As someone else also said, I think this can best be summed up (particularly WRT YouTube vs. GC) as "teenagers."

For the most part, I'd also agree that the general population here seems to be a much more mature and easy-to-know sort of group, to me. I'd not make that same assessment at some many of the "social networks" that flood the net as we all know, though... and, again, I think there's a general demographic difference between here and those aforementioned sites (well, in the sense of overall maturity/friendliness level, at least). It might just be a perception thing or what-not, but... that's the way I feel.

Hardly. This is a MUCH more mature audience - as evidenced by the crowd I met at GWVI and local events.

I think what you'd see would be more akin to the comments secions below photos on flickr. All positive, interesting comments, very welcomed by the photo takers.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want people complementing you on your photos. That's all photos get on flickr. There generally aren't youtube-like inane rants, trust me.

The "We've made it 8 years without..." negative attitude is the reason the Web Site Forum here is worthless.

Last time I checked other cachers were entitled to opinions other than yours.

ANY suggestion gets knocked down immediately. Back up your claims with evidence. I see no evidence that photo comments would be immature. Cache logs aren't..

Please enlighten me as to how I should "back my claims with evidence," when I was stating an opinion? Apparently you haven't seen some of the cache logs that i've seen, or the forum threads about said logs.

The "We've made it 8 years without..." negative attitude is the reason the Web Site Forum here is worthless. ANY suggestion gets knocked down immediately. Back up your claims with evidence. I see no evidence that photo comments would be immature. Cache logs aren't..

A tiresome argument which should be avoided. If an idea cannot stand up on its own here, it won't serve as a good function for the site. I believe evidence had already been provided, but let's also point at Youtube and Flickr. I've seen both good and bad comments on pictures. IMHO, the pictures provided are about the adventure to and at the cache, thus any comments should be about the cache. A picturesque view might be why the hider took you there.

Edited by TotemLake

My thought on the topic is this: geocaching.com isn't MySpace or Facebook or a photo-hosting website. Therefore, why boggle the site up with more resources and such so people can tag and comment on photos. Plus, it would eventually get to where people are posting "TFTP!"

No thanks. I like it the way it is now.

My thoughts exactly. But let's just say that there were negative comments. Anybody who has used myspace knows that when you click on a picture to view it you don't even see the comments unless you scroll down the page. So if you don't want to see them, you don't have too.

No need for that kind of option.

There is no "need" for photos on a traditional cache (for example). But it is a great feature and I know that there are plenty of cachers that would "want" a comment section.

It's a great option in your opinion. And though I'm sure there are people who would like that feature, this thread has also proven there are people who don't want a comment section.

There is no "need" for photos on a traditional cache (for example). But it is a great feature and I know that there are plenty of cachers that would "want" a comment section.

It's a great option in your opinion. And though I'm sure there are people who would like that feature, this thread has also proven there are people who don't want a comment section.

In the same vain and by the same logic (?), I'm sure there are plenty of options already on the site that certain people would say "there's no need for" or that people "don't want." It doesn't mean they shouldn't be there or they're not useful or "nice" to/for others, though.

In the same vain and by the same logic (?), I'm sure there are plenty of options already on the site that certain people would say "there's no need for" or that people "don't want." It doesn't mean they shouldn't be there or they're not useful or "nice" to/for others, though.

And that's fine, but at the same time this isn't a photo-sharing site. This is a geocaching site. To add all of these features that people want (and there's plenty more than the photo comment section idea), that requires people to be working on them and all that. Personally, I'd rather see the good people at Groundspeak working on things that do well with geocaching.

Like I previously said, my personal thought and opinion is that this site isn't MySpace or Facebook, which is a great spot for the photo comments.

I also do some photography to make money. However, most of the stuff I post here is done via a point-and-shoot, so my goal isn't to hear if someone thinks my photo is of top quality. I only post photos because I feel it adds to a log or something along those lines. I don't put them up for reaction. That being said, I also don't want to have to worry about turning this feature off on each of my photos. (Because if this feature was there, I don't think it should be turned on or off across the board... what if someone wanted to just get comments on one photo and not the other etc.)

These are all just things to think about on the other side of the coin, rather than just saying this is a great thing etc.

And that's fine, but at the same time this isn't a photo-sharing site. This is a geocaching site. To add all of these features that people want (and there's plenty more than the photo comment section idea), that requires people to be working on them and all that. Personally, I'd rather see the good people at Groundspeak working on things that do well with geocaching.

So the question is what things go well with geocaching?

If this were purely a geocache listing site it would only have geocache listings. There would not be any online logs to report whether you found the cache or not, let alone any way to upload photos to the site. When TPTB created this site they decided that it would be nice to allow users to not only log their finds online but to write about their experience in the log. Shortly afterwards it was decided to allow cachers to upload pictures to go along with their cache logs. Later they add a feature where cachers could track items they put into caches. They could write about items they found and could post pictures here as well.

The logs and the pictures have become an impotant part of geocaching to many people. TPTB have created different ways to view the gallery of photos associated with a cache, a trackable item, or an individual cacher. They redesigned the home page of Geocaching.com to display selected images that cachers have posted. While there are many people who are satisfied with justed being able to find caches and perhaps logging online, for others the idea that we can share our geocaching experiences with the pictures we have taken doesn't just go well with geocaching but has become an important part of the reason they do it.

Geocaching.com is not a photo sharing site. It is not a blogging site. It is not even a social networking site. There are other sites on the internet that are better if you want those functions. However, implementing ideas from other sites as part of the Geocaching.com site can make geocaching more enjoyable to more people. People are suggesting ideas that they believe do go well with geocaching. Already many people use the picture galleries to help pick out caches they would like to find. There are several threads in the Geocaching Topics forum where people share their pictures from cache sites and often you'll see people commenting on the pictures here, perhaps saying thing like "this cache is going on my to-do list." If implemented right a system that allows comments and tags to be added to other people's photos could help people pick out which caches they was to search for.

If this were purely a geocache listing site it would only have geocache listings. There would not be any online logs to report whether you found the cache or not, let alone any way to upload photos to the site. When TPTB created this site they decided that it would be nice to allow users to not only log their finds online but to write about their experience in the log. Shortly afterwards it was decided to allow cachers to upload pictures to go along with their cache logs. Later they add a feature where cachers could track items they put into caches. They could write about items they found and could post pictures here as well.

The logs and the pictures have become an impotant part of geocaching to many people. TPTB have created different ways to view the gallery of photos associated with a cache, a trackable item, or an individual cacher. They redesigned the home page of Geocaching.com to display selected images that cachers have posted. While there are many people who are satisfied with justed being able to find caches and perhaps logging online, for others the idea that we can share our geocaching experiences with the pictures we have taken doesn't just go well with geocaching but has become an important part of the reason they do it.

Geocaching.com is not a photo sharing site. It is not a blogging site. It is not even a social networking site. There are other sites on the internet that are better if you want those functions. However, implementing ideas from other sites as part of the Geocaching.com site can make geocaching more enjoyable to more people. People are suggesting ideas that they believe do go well with geocaching. Already many people use the picture galleries to help pick out caches they would like to find. There are several threads in the Geocaching Topics forum where people share their pictures from cache sites and often you'll see people commenting on the pictures here, perhaps saying thing like "this cache is going on my to-do list." If implemented right a system that allows comments and tags to be added to other people's photos could help people pick out which caches they was to search for.

Well put. I'll qualify it by saying I know for a fact it is recognized that socializing is a big part of geocaching. That's why the Friends feature was implemented even if it isn't quite workiing right at the moment. (I hope they don't abandon that project). So it is evolving as you have stated a few times.

Should it be opt-in/opt-out? I'll leave that to the great debate.

It could be implemented as a 1-5 rating system and simply leave the comments out. That could meld in well with a rating system for the cache (if one is developed at all).

Very well said, thanks for taking the time to reply! :rolleyes:

Very well said, thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

I think that photo features and other personal connectivity like that is a big part of geo$ing because everybody does not know everybody and it is a good way to meet and know more about the other person and the ability to make connect with them on a texted base level and laugh about what other $ers are saying and doing...it is a community and in a community you communicate!!!

I think that photo features and other personal connectivity like that is a big part of geo$ing because everybody does not know everybody and it is a good way to meet and know more about the other person and the ability to make connect with them on a text base level and laugh about what other $ers are saying and doing...it is a community and in a community you communicate!!!

True that!

I guess the best way to tell if your pictures are great, are if they land on the banner page. :)

That's not necessarily true. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous ones that have never made it to the banner. Some people have uploaded a lot of great pictures but have never had one make it to the front page- yet. Sometimes it may be who you know that helps...but I think it's mainly just a matter of catching someones eye at the right moment. I've had one picture make it- and I don't upload too many. Strange thing is- I thought it was good, but not the best one I did that trip. Sure is cool when one does make it tho. :mad:

On topic- comments may be nice, might even post one once in a while. Ratings? Ugh.