Benchmark ALR

OzGuff

I have a cache with an additional Logging Requirement -- you have to have found/logged at least 100 benchmarks before logging the cache. Do you think I should make the ALR a little more strict by only accepting benchmark finds that also include an uploaded photo of the benchmark?

That's a pretty tough ALR! I wouldn't expect to see very many finds on that cache.

My opinion is that benchmark logs should be required to have pictures. One of the reasons in this case would be to prevent people from logging random finds on marks just to meet you cache's quota.

If the cache has been published, could you post a link or GC number for it please?

According to Holograph's statistics page as of the end of April, only 187 people were qualified to log your cache. That will be updated shortlly, I'm sure. The number who live in your area or travel through will be rather small. That's a very tight requirement and I would have put the number much lower.

On the other hand, the requirement to photograph the benchmark is probably good for your cache rules since many cachers who are new to benchmark hunting have not learned enough to understand what they are looking for or not looking for. Having a photo helps sort out who is doing it right.

Edited by Bill93

FYI -- I went ahead and added the photographic evidence requirement to the ALR. Only one cacher had logged the cache as a find, and she had 99 photos of the 150 benchmarks she had found/recovered. (And has photos for more but just hasn't loaded them.)

Keep in mind that the statistics are not exhaustive for Geocaching.com logs, only for NGS logs. I don't know of any way to find out how many people have recorded 100 or more GC logs.

Holo, what do you mean that your statistics "are not exhaustive for Geocaching.com logs, only for NGS logs"? You do report people who log on Gc.com but not with NGS. Do you mean that you only report on people who have requested to be on your list?

Another issue is that there are fewer people on your list who would qualify for OzGuff's cache than one would think from first glance, because as you note, "The Geocaching total includes all log records (found, not found, destroyed, and notes)." So someone might have 130 Gc.com logs, but only 85 are "found," they would not qualify for OzGuff's requirement.

It'll be interesting to see whether any of our regulars here manage to bag that cache!

Patty

Another issue is that there are fewer people on your list who would qualify for OzGuff's cache than one would think from first glance, because as you note, "The Geocaching total includes all log records (found, not found, destroyed, and notes)." So someone might have 130 Gc.com logs, but only 85 are "found," they would not qualify for OzGuff's requirement.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that GC.com benchmark stats on a cacher's profile page ONLY include found benchmarks. Clicking on the benchmark icon then brings you to a list of ALL benchmark entries -- found, not found, destroyed, notes -- but the number reported on the profile page is only for found benchmarks.

Am I mis-reading something here?

Forgive me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that GC.com benchmark stats on a cacher's profile page ONLY include found benchmarks. Clicking on the benchmark icon then brings you to a list of ALL benchmark entries -- found, not found, destroyed, notes -- but the number reported on the profile page is only for found benchmarks.

Am I mis-reading something here?

I don't know where Groundspeak gets the number that's displayed on the profile page. I just checked my profile page and the details behind it, and they don't add up. Groundspeak says I have 83 finds, but in fact I have 103. (We're jut talking Groundspeak here; I have many more actual benchmark finds that I've never logged on Geocaching.com.) I also have 30 NF/dest/notes, for a total of Groundspeak 133 logs. Two of those logs were made in May, so Holograph correctly has me listed with 131 logs on his statistics page as of the end of April.

Patty

The statistics page does show about a hundred Geocachers who do not report to the NGS, but they are listed either because they have requested to be listed, or because someone else has noted active benchmarkers who should be added. It's likely that the statistics page does show all of the most active benchmarkers, but there are probably many in the middle ground who are not on the list.

Obviously, most of the ones who have reported to the NGS are listed, although there are a few dozen that I haven't managed to identify because there were no Geocaching logs that corresponded to the NGS GEOCAC recovery reports, or there were no initials on the reports.