Supplies

mfwills

I have a great idea for a multi-cache, and am planning my first project. My immediate problem is supplies, specifically containers.

Google returns several sites that claim to offer an array of supplies, but going to them is usually a waste of time. The selection is more often than not very limited (one place has these, another has those, but so far, I have not found a SuperStore), so much so that I am tempted to build my own, except that all I can think of at the moment is PVC pipe, and I am afraid that anything I cobble together will either not be weatherproof or look too much like a pipe bomb.

Wholesalers are also a no-go, as I am not in the market for 250 of a given container. A dozen will probably last me a long time. I did find a couple of places that have "Beach Safes" (rectangular under $13/dz, tubular under $4/dz), but I am concerned over how durable they might be.

So, where to go?

Is there a favorite supplier out there with a truly wide range of containers (not just two or three items), labels, etc., at reasonable prices?

Matt

I have not personally tested them in elements but the dollar store/dollar tree type places have containers very simular to the snap models that you see. There are a couple differant types, some close easier than others. They have the gasket as well.

some folks use ammo cans. They have them here at the local surplus store.

I have not personally tested them in elements but the dollar store/dollar tree type places have containers very simular to the snap models that you see. There are a couple differant types, some close easier than others. They have the gasket as well.

some folks use ammo cans. They have them here at the local surplus store.

I've seen the ammo cans. Still playing with how I want to present caches I'm thinking of, but I'm aiming considerably smaller.

M

Lock n Locks are among the best containers and are available at Walmart and in many supermarkets. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes. You can also get waterproof match boxes at Walmart, which are waterproof and very durable. They are orange though, so you might want to paint or give them a coat of camo tape.

I did find a couple of places that have "Beach Safes" (rectangular under $13/dz, tubular under $4/dz), but I am concerned over how durable they might be.

They are junk and not durable or waterproof. Do not use these. There are more expensive ones that are OK but you're talking 6 or 7 buck each. Forget the cheapies.

I've had good luck with the "lock n lock" containers from Target. Cammo tape from WalMart and cammo paint from WalMart or Loews/Home Depot.

If you do use PVC, get the black rubber caps called "FERNCO" caps. Not only are they cheaper, if you use the regular PVC caps and a cacher gets careless with putting the end back on, it will BE ON - STUCK. I've found several PVC caches that were nearly impossible to get the PVC cap off of them. Had to bang one against a rock several times.

When I am in need of caching supplies, I hit up a circuit of flea markets and peddlers malls. Ammo cans, weird containers, and the such are usually floating around if you know where to look.

Walmart is always my second stop for things like camo tape, 89 cent match stick containers, and cheap log books.

I've never went myself, but Army Surplus stores seem like a good place to look for ammo cans.

I've also bought a few things from eBay for caches and have yet to be disappointed.

I had thought about opening up a Geocache only type store in my area. I know a few cachers that are always lookin for swag, containers, supplies, coins, TBs, and everything else caching.

Just need to get my own supplies first to start it....lol

This experience has prompted my own thoughts in that direction. Some operating capital would be handy.

I really like the Keep2Go tubes, but they're blinking expensive!

I finally decided on Monster Tubes from cachesupply.com and small stickers from chqualitycoins.com.

M

For a seriously weather proof container check these out.

Available at WalMart in two sizes for $5 & $7. I'm doing an underwater cache soon and decided to test these out. I put a piece of paper with a moister indicating dot inside and sunk it for a week. Pulled it up yesterday and it was dry as a bone inside.

http://www.outdoorproducts.com/displayprod...72OP&view=D

That link is just an image.

Going to the website and searching for "watertight" I get the two sizes of box, but neither page displays any information.

Just a picture and a short blurb ("Protects gear from the element"). Nothing else. No dimensions, no pricing, no nothing. Tried on both Mac and Winduhs, different browsers.

Searched walmart.com for "watertight" and got nada. I'll be near a store Tuesday, I'll check then.

Correct, the link is just to the image. There isn't any real info on the manufacturers website and I couldn't find them on WalMart.com either but they are in the stores. You will find them with the camping equipment. They are made of a shatter proof polycarbonate with a stainless hinge pin and a thick rubber gasket. I have the small size and it measures 5 1/2" long, 4" wide and 3" deep. I believe that the larger size is the same depth and probably 6" x 6" if not a little bigger. They do have a sticker on them that says "Not intended for submersion" but I figure if it can sit 7' deep in a lake for a week and not draw moister then it's adequate for my purposes.

A guy on Craigslist had a couple pallets of Ammo Cans that he was selling for $8 and $12 per can, depending on the size. I then called a Army Surplus Store they were selling them for $5 & $7 (plus tax) for the same sizes.

I went to the hunting/camping section of Walmart and asked for cammo tape and their reply was, "We don't carry any cammo."

Edited by cliffsheets

The big W not having camo tape? :D Must just be a local thing. All those stores around here carry it. Its more expensive than the regular duct tape & located in the sporting goods (the other stuff is in hardware.)

I ended up skipping it and buying the camo paint instead. It seemed to be more of a bargain and could be used on many things.

Bumping this because I"m having the hardest time finding cammo tape. I'm in Ohio, and I've checked Walmart (regular, not Super Walmart), Lowe's and Dick's Sporting Goods. NOTHING. I don't want to buy cammo tape online.. any other suggestions?

I have also found camo tape at Dunham's and Kmart. At Dunham's it was in the hunting area. At Kmart it was in sporting goods. Anyplace that has a decent sporting goods area should have camo tape. What part of Ohio are you from?

Steve

edited to add:

As for containers, have you checked out preforms? They are the tubes with caps that they make plastic pop bottles out of. I just did a quick search and the first site I checked has 30 tubes/caps for 18.95. They are watertight and hold up to the elements. Just do a seach for "preform" and you'll find lots of sizes and prices.

Edited by syfun

I thought about KMart too, but I checked the Super K near you and they didn't have any. I am pretty sure I have seen it at one of the KMart stores but I forget which one.

Near me? Which one? I bought 2 rolls from the Kmart on Lapeer Rd in Lake Orion in December. I don't think that's a super K. They had about 6 left after I took 2.

Steve

I thought about KMart too, but I checked the Super K near you and they didn't have any. I am pretty sure I have seen it at one of the KMart stores but I forget which one.

Near me? Which one? I bought 2 rolls from the Kmart on Lapeer Rd in Lake Orion in December. I don't think that's a super K. They had about 6 left after I took 2.

Steve

Sorry, should have clarified a little bit. The Super K near purkinsfamily doesn't have any. I know there is some at one of the K's in the Youngstown area but I am drawing a blank at which one.

Lock n lock containers from retail stores, buy some Krylon Fusion paint the color of the area your gonna place in and your good.

TC mentioned about making your own, I am all into that. Spend and hours walking around Walmart, Home Depot, Michaels, Ace Hardware or AC Moores and you can come up with all kinds of fun containers.

I check discount stores like Ollie's, Big lots and sometimes the Dollar store.

I got some sort of Resin Treasure Chest for $3 at some off the wall discount store. Its had a battery box in the bottom and not sure what it did. I striped it of the box and wires and found I had a nice box with 3 chambers :-). The thing is far from water proof, I put the log in a zip lock baggy and that in a tight container and hid sealed up log it in one of the chambers. The trick here is not finding the Cache, it sticks out like a sore thumb. The trick is to find the log and sign it. Everyone loves it.

If you make your own just take your time and put it together right. Test it out, open and close it a few dozen times. Leave it out in your back yard for a few days and see how it holds up in the rain wind snow sun ect... When you think you got it just right and it is a cache you would like to see then put it out.

As far as a one stop shop, PM me when you find it, Good luck and have fun.

Here some containers I use.

magnetic key holder - walmart - $2 for small and $3 for large.

matchbox holders - walmart - $1, arm/navy surplus store - $2

Altoid Cans - only use these where the cache is placed in a location that is shielded by the rain/snow.

Chapstick Containers - $2 any drug store. They make nice micro containers once you camo them.

Pill bottles - Free.

Pill Fobs - Small looking aluminum tubes that have an o ring and a keychain ring. $1 walmart, $5 walgreens.

Lock and Lock's - med-small size - $2-$4 at walmart.

35mm film containers - Free if you ask for them at Walgreens or CVS photo counter.

Bumping this because I"m having the hardest time finding cammo tape. I'm in Ohio, and I've checked Walmart (regular, not Super Walmart), Lowe's and Dick's Sporting Goods. NOTHING. I don't want to buy cammo tape online.. any other suggestions?

Try a local sporting goods store, preferrably someplace that sells a good supply of archery gear. Lots of bow hunters will use camo tape to break up parts of their bow like the rest and such.

As for containers, you cannot go wrong with lock 'n locks. Walmart is the place cheapest for them, but you can also find Snapware brand containers that are built exactly like the lock 'n locks. I get mine at Bed Bath and Beyond of all places if I want Snapware. Lock 'n locks are very, very popular here and I've dug them out from under snow and wet brush and everything inside is nice and dry. They are simply the best container for geocaching!

Look in hardware department, where all the tape is, that's where my Wal-Mart has it.

Around here they keep all colors and styles of duct tape in the hardware department EXCEPT the cammo. Here they put it in Sporting Goods and usually near the hunting stuff.

Yeah, it makes no sense at all that they can't put it in the same place in every store.

Edited by DiamondDaveG

Try Ace Hardware if there is one in your area.

My immediate problem is supplies, specifically containers.

If you just need basic containers check out garage sales. One of my best suppliers is Folgers. There plastic coffee cans make nice caches that fit plenty of swag. We have purchased candy that comes in these plastic jars that have screw on lids that make great caches. I think we bought those at Sam's Club. Of course we only use these after we have eaten all of the candy. :rolleyes: I usually paint these brown. These are rather large containers and neither the coffee cans nor the candy jars are waterproof.

You can find bison tubes at some recreation stores for a dollar and up. Again these are probably not waterproof.

Peanut butter jars come in three or four sizes and work well, but you have to make sure your process them correctly or individuals with peanut allergies will have serious problems with them (I do mean serious). Plus, if you do not get the entire peanut residue off of them they will attract animals.

The plastic containers that chinese take out comes in works great. The soup containers are a quart and you can drop them full of soup and they don't spill. I have placed 1 and have 2 more ready to go. Take some sand paper and scratch the plastic and then paint with flat black/green/brown spray paint.