It's GeoLuau time! 8/16/08 Port Orchard

Shop99er

It's GeoLuau time and you know what that means!

Maybe you don't! Maybe this will be your first year at GeoLuau!!

GeoLuau means lots of food, games for the kids and adults, a Pirates Scavenger hunt with REAL pirates!!

It's a day to join with other cachers right outside of Gorst (where America shops) at Jarstad Park.

Bring the kids, bring the dog, bring something to eat and join us for a full afternoon of ALOHA!

I have heard rumors that there will be all sorts of that favorite Hawaiian dish... SPAM!!

Here's the link to the event listing

GEOLUAU 5

Please make sure you click the big HERE on the event to get your fancy smanchy badges and read more about the event.

SEE YOU THERE!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia;

In the United States, the residents of the state of Hawaii and the territories of Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) consume the most Spam per capita. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of Spam each year and the numbers at least equal this in the CNMI. Guam, Hawaii, and Saipan, the CNMI's principal island, have the only McDonald's restaurants that feature Spam on the menu. Burger King, in Hawaii, began serving Spam in 2007 on its menu to compete with the local McDonald's chains.[7][8]

In Hawaii, Spam is so popular it is sometimes dubbed "The Hawaiian Steak." [9] It is traditionally reheated (cooked), resulting in a different taste than Spam eaten by many Americans on the mainland, who may eat Spam cold.[10] One popular Spam dish in Hawaii is Spam musubi, in which cooked Spam is combined with rice and nori seaweed and classified as onigiri.[11

Some call the gelatinous pink pork "Hawaii's soul food."

Sorry Jen, but how can there be a Hawaiian theme without Spammy goodness.. :rolleyes:

I was on Guam during WWII for a couple of weeks trying to catch up with my ship. All we had to eat was SPAM and powdered eggs. But that is not why I won't be at the GeoLuau. I am having ear surgery on August 12th. Hope they leave enough to keep my glasses on. I will be available to help Steve set GZ before then Dick, W7WT

Ewwwwww. While I appreciate all of the wonderful information, you guys are not making me any more willing to be within a 10 mile radius of this "gelatinous pink pork" (gag, choke, ick). Whoever started this (Brian) needs to wear a SPAM hat at the event or something. There have been, what, 3 other Luau's already? No SPAM has made an appearance so far. No need to change things up now.

Ladies and jelly spoons....

start your engines, shield your eyes and get ready for

GeoLuau 5's

first annual

SPAMtasm!!!

We're still working out the details on how it's going to work but SPAM will be had!

More details when we have them.

Edited by Shop99er

In the United States, the residents of the state of Hawaii and the territories of Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) consume the most Spam per capita. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of Spam each year and the numbers at least equal this in the CNMI. Guam, Hawaii, and Saipan, the CNMI's principal island, have the only McDonald's restaurants that feature Spam on the menu. Burger King, in Hawaii, began serving Spam in 2007 on its menu to compete with the local McDonald's chains.[7][8]

In Hawaii, Spam is so popular it is sometimes dubbed "The Hawaiian Steak." [9] It is traditionally reheated (cooked), resulting in a different taste than Spam eaten by many Americans on the mainland, who may eat Spam cold.[10] One popular Spam dish in Hawaii is Spam musubi, in which cooked Spam is combined with rice and nori seaweed and classified as onigiri.[11

Sorry Jen, but how can there be a Hawaiian theme without Spammy goodness.. :D

Speaking from experience. Spam is available and McDonalds and 7-11 here in Hawaii. If you don't have spam.. why not call it a BBQ?

Sorry Jen, but how can there be a Hawaiian theme without Spammy goodness.. <_<

Speaking from experience. Spam is available and McDonalds and 7-11 here in Hawaii. If you don't have spam.. why not call it a BBQ?

My Dad (career Navy and spent time in HI) taught me to fry spam for a different taste. I used to have spam sandwiches all the time, sometimes fried, sometimes cold, with mayo and relish. It also used to be the meat of choice with eggs and toast for breakfast.

Edited by TotemLake

Sorry Jen, but how can there be a Hawaiian theme without Spammy goodness.. :grin:

My Dad (career Navy and spent time in HI) taught me to fry spam for a different taste. I used to have spam sandwiches all the time, sometimes fried, sometimes cold, with mayo and relish. It also used to be the meat of choice with eggs and toast for breakfast.

Fried Spam sammiches....ummmm :grin:

SPAMtasm

We are still knocking the sharp edges off of how we are going to do this but here's a rough idea of what to expect.

Rules

1) Contestants will receive a SPAMtasm kit upon registration. Kit will include, in a gallon zip lock bag, one can of SPAM, one plastic spoon, one plastic knife, one plastic fork, three toothpicks and a paper plate.

2) Anything in the kit may be used in the sculpture.

3) Any item NOT included in the kit may NOT be used in the sculpture (NOTE: $50 bills, US currency are the exception)

4) All subject matter must be "family friendly". Don't make us call your mother!

5) Bribery of the judges is permissible but does not guarantee a winning entry (see rule #3 above)

6) NO geocaching icons may be used as subject material. This includes the GC logo, Signal the Frog, the generic caching G, an ammo box, bison tube, film canister, Altoids tin or anything otherwise associated with Geocaching. Exceptions to that rule would be a stump with an ammo can hidden inside it. Items that do include geocaching icons, those items must be less than 50% of the overall sculpture.

Criteria for judging

Artistic Merit

Originality

Level of Difficulty

A point value from 1 to 5 will be awarded to each sculpture in each of the catigories above.

Artistic Merit will include all artistic forms including abstract and impressionistic. In other words it needs to look like art. If it's a duck, it needs to look like a duck. If it's a Picasso of a duck it needs to look like a Picasso of a duck... although I'm not sure Picasso ever painted or sculpted a duck.

Originality will be things that are well thought out, possibly prior planning went into it. Things like Stonehenge is an original thought. A house shape is not. A VW bug up on blocks is an original though. A car shape is not.

Level of Difficulty will be determined on, well, how difficult was it to carve a block of SPAM into what ever shape it ended up in. If it still looks like a block of SPAM then it's not all that difficult. If it's in the shape of Saturnwith the rings.... then that's pretty dadgum difficult.

A trophy will be awarded to the winner. Second and third runners up will also receive a little somethin somthin.

Pre registration will be necessary for entery (the web masters are feverishly working on the new page right now) so we will know how much SPAM to buy.

Since you guys are all about Spam. You should check out Bobby's Hawaiian Style Restaurant. I didn't know about until Sassy told me she saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives show on the food network. On the show they cooked a spam burger that she really wants me to go eat. I would go if somebody could tell me what it tastes like! I can't get passed how it looks.

Just go try it, ya sissy!! :grin:

I don't know if we can handle another event in the north 48. I have heard an unsubstantiated rumor that we have too many events up here as of late. As anybody can see by the lack of attendance :rolleyes: I like a lot of events, back in the day we had to drive 3 hours and plan our schedule around events. Now events work into my schedule. This sounds like a job for Grievous Angel! She makes our cache pages anyways and has held the most successful PP event.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Geo Luau thread....

I don't know if we can handle another event in the north 48. I have heard an unsubstantiated rumor that we have too many events up here as of late. As anybody can see by the lack of attendance :rolleyes: I like a lot of events, back in the day we had to drive 3 hours and plan our schedule around events. Now events work into my schedule. This sounds like a job for Grievous Angel! She makes our cache pages anyways and has held the most successful PP event.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Geo Luau thread....

As if you think your gonna get out if that easy...look at Snookies SPAM debacle as an example. One little thing said can EASILY blow up in your face..good luck with that bow out move. :lol:

Ewwwwww. While I appreciate all of the wonderful information, you guys are not making me any more willing to be within a 10 mile radius of this "gelatinous pink pork" (gag, choke, ick). Whoever started this (Brian) needs to wear a SPAM hat at the event or something.

There have been, what, 3 other Luau's already?

No SPAM has made an appearance so far. No need to change things up now.

aRE yOU sure :rolleyes: ?

True story:

Last summer at GenCon (a large gaming convention back in Indanapolis) my husband was asked to judge at the first national SPAM carving championships.

The sponsors? the game company that put out the "Redneck Life" game.

There were some AMAZING carvings there. I'll see if I can get some photos to post.

I've got some "Spamalot" (bunny puppet, offical coconuts) items I'd be happy to donate as prizes. I can proably get you some redneck life games as well :rolleyes: (email me if you want 'em so I can put them int he mail just in case I can't make it for some reason -- or gas gets to $9 a gallon...)

-brumbjorn (who is relieved she is not "it" for this :lol: )

Edited by brumbjorn

Harriet...when did you say that Bobby's event is? I'd like to get it on the NW Yahoo Calendar....

GA just emailed me and said its going to be on Tuesday July 2. Seems the banquet room is quite the popular place and its booked for forever.

Tuesday is July 1. Not that this helps Shop99er's attendance. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you guyze gots to be so down on the Spam. I love Spam and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I'm corfuzzled though (but wha's new really?) when did you say your hosting the shin dig at Bobby's, Harriet?? I'm like Shopp, I gotta git it on the calendar so I can plan accordingly.

I <3 Spam.

hawaii-spam.jpg