Need help in Iraq

My son just got to the Air Base by Balad Iraq which has 50 caches on it. I loaded his (my old system) with the caches before he left he turned it on today and said the closest cache was 40 miles away even though they are on the base with him. He gave me his coordinates and they are off the base on the other side of the Tigris River about 25 miles away.

Is there anyone on the same base that reads this fourm that may be able to help him? Is there any way the GPS can be off that far? Does he just need to leave it on for a while? He really wants to do the caches while he is over there when he gets time off. I even gave him 4 TB to drop while over there.

Thanks for the ideas I will try to get some of the latest loggers to help him. The GPS is a Garmin 76 CSx. This is what I was telling he but just wanted to make sure I was not forgetting anything. Here is what I told him -

I think something in wrong have you tried to recalibrate the unit yet, you might turn it on and leave it for an hour or two make sure it is outside. What is the accuracy? The coordinates you gave me puts you about 10-20 miles southeast of the airbase across the Tigris River before you get to Al Khalis. The ones I sent you are on the Air Base I can see them on the Satellite picture. Friday Night Lights is right next to the swimming pool by a track/football field and its coordinates are N 33° 56.902 E 044° 23.193

My son just got to the Air Base by Balad Iraq which has 50 caches on it. I loaded his (my old system) with the caches before he left he turned it on today and said the closest cache was 40 miles away even though they are on the base with him. He gave me his coordinates and they are off the base on the other side of the Tigris River about 25 miles away.

As others have mentioned, maybe the GPS needs a good 10 or 15 minutes to recalibrate (they can after taking "long trips" like that... especially around the other side of the globe, which our's often don't see.

Also, since this is a "war time" thing, perhaps they've re-introduced some of the variable timings in the non-military GPS systems (or even in online maps) on that side of the globe for "safety" (or in "the big six forbidden countries") ... though I doubt the technology's that granular, it's certainly a possibility from the manufacturer (though it used to vary by meters, not miles... at least that was here)

May you son also return safely... God Bless.

I wish I could offer some help here but all I can do is agree with what was already said. However, the reason for my input on this thread is that I felt really compelled to post to you and your son.

I wanted to Thank You both for your sacrifices that each of you are making in order for the rest of us to live in freedom. Although we have never personally met please let your son know that he will be in our prayers and thoughts during his time of service and you as well. May each of you be blessed with his safe return home soon.

Please keep us posted as to how he is doing and how many smilies he obtains while over there. :wub: It would be really cool if he could send a picture or two of some of his finds that you could share with us.

Janet...aka..the better half of the "Flatouts" :rolleyes:

<snip>...

I wanted to Thank You both for your sacrifices that each of you are making in order for the rest of us to live in freedom. Although we have never personally met please let your son know that he will be in our prayers and thoughts during his time of service and you as well. May each of you be blessed with his safe return home ....<snip>

Without entering into a contentious debate I would suggest that this post breaches the Groundspeak Forums Guidelines, in particular:

8. Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda: It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. As a result, we intend to limit forum discussions that promote a commercial, social, political or charitable agenda insofar as the agenda does not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. Therefore, threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted. Please note that our Volunteer Forum Moderators are authorized to exercise their discretion in providing some reasonable latitude for forum discussion postings relating to local events and issues in local discussion forums. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include or permit the inclusion of limited commercial content in this forum, in its sole discretion.
(My emphasis)

The posting is promoting a political and religious agenda and is outside the scope of a Geocaching forum.

<snip>...

I wanted to Thank You both for your sacrifices that each of you are making in order for the rest of us to live in freedom. Although we have never personally met please let your son know that he will be in our prayers and thoughts during his time of service and you as well. May each of you be blessed with his safe return home ....<snip>

Without entering into a contentious debate I would suggest that this post breaches the Groundspeak Forums Guidelines, in particular:

8. Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda: It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. As a result, we intend to limit forum discussions that promote a commercial, social, political or charitable agenda insofar as the agenda does not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. Therefore, threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted. Please note that our Volunteer Forum Moderators are authorized to exercise their discretion in providing some reasonable latitude for forum discussion postings relating to local events and issues in local discussion forums. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include or permit the inclusion of limited commercial content in this forum, in its sole discretion.
(My emphasis)

The posting is promoting a political and religious agenda and is outside the scope of a Geocaching forum.

To Groundspeak : I apologize for breaking a forums guideline and will re frame from doing so in the future. I didn't realize I was...I was just being human in the moment.

To everyone else: I also apologize if my OP offended you, it was not my intent. Again, I was only being human.

Edited by Flatouts
<snip>...

(My emphasis)

Give her a break!!!!!!!!! She is not promoting anything, she is just saying she will pray for him. She is not asking you or anyone else to pray, and I dadgum well can't see any political agenda.

Edited by DWBur
(My emphasis)

Please leave the forum moderation to the moderators. If you have an issue with a post, please use the [REPORT] button.

Thank you.

(My emphasis)

Please leave the forum moderation to the moderators. If you have an issue with a post, please use the [REPORT] button.

Thank you.

Thanks Quiggle... nicely said... I'll (semi) retract my own post, though I think it's apropos.

You might also have him check to make sure he is using the correct units. Geocaching.com uses the WGS84 coordinate system and if the gps is set to NAD27 they may show him in a different location.

Eek... lost my previous reply here (and apologies for others for multiple replies, etc -- I've yet to quite figure out how to consolidate and/or delete things -- but I'm probably missing something simple).

But, interesting point... though shouldn't conversion happen nearly "automagically?" I've yet to really switch a GPS out of native modes, but my Garmin's "stuck" in WGS84 since about the time I purchased it, while my older Magellan is in MGRS (if I recall correctly, at least). Still, both of them seem to "do the right thing" with respect to other common coordinate systems... and even so, would that effect accuracy?

...though, in a way, I guess it's all almost approaching "magic" to me, anyway. ;-)

Edited by russellvt
(My emphasis)

Thank you.

So I cannot express an opinion nor raise a concern, however calmly written?

As for reporting it to a moderator using the [REPORT] button as you suggest, I did.

I know that when we visited Australia recently, we couldn't get our location for the longest time. I'm still not sure what the issue was, but I think it had something to do with our gps still assuming that we were in Washington State. My husband had to tinker with it for a few minutes, and then Viola! it worked (don't know what he did, messed with some setting or other). :wub: I don't think it's the same situation with your son, though, since his is only off by 40 miles, not 7800 miles! :rolleyes:

A GPS signal is very weak and can be overpowered by a local terrestrial signal. I doubt the civilian signal has anti-jamming. Were the others that found them using cilvilian receivers?

You don't want these to fall on your base.

One type of military GPS

Aha! That was the term I was looking for earlier... an anti-jamming mechanism. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised, myself, if something similar were currently in-use out there. ;-)

I had a military unit that could take a chip replacement to account for the variable timings they once placed in the GPS systems... guess they probably have similar in current military-grade GPS' these days, well.

Edited by russellvt
(My emphasis)

Thank you.

So I cannot express an opinion nor raise a concern, however calmly written?

As for reporting it to a moderator using the [REPORT] button as you suggest, I did.

Probably not the wisest thing to do....

I have 2 friends on the airbase in Basra, and they also seek some caches to while away the boredom between rocket strikes..

While I dont agree 100% with the reasons for the armed forces being there, they are there by order, and not personal choice.

P.

No, it wasn't.

Quiggle has asked nicely for people to stay on topic. I've had a long day at work and I am tired. If people continue to post off topic and bring their personal feelings about the soldiers into this, I am going to get cranky.

Cranky isn't good. I like being happy. Please help me stay happy by staying on topic.

Is there anyone on the same base that reads this fourm that may be able to help him? Is there any way the GPS can be off that far? Does he just need to leave it on for a while? He really wants to do the caches while he is over there when he gets time off. I even gave him 4 TB to drop while over there.

Is he perhaps searching by name, rather than by nearest?

Thanks for all your input he has not had time to try again. I also send him the pointer to this thread, form an email from him:

I will try to recaliblate it. I haven't had time to leave it on more than 5 minutes and it says accuracy to 38 but I didn't look to see if that was feet or miles. I will try again tomorrow. I will try to go to the site again. I need to print out the description/hint pages. I tried to use the palm pilot but the screen keeps messing up and won't hold a calibration more than about 10 minutes. Oh well, I appreciate the thought, thanks for trying.