MapSource 6.14.0.1 Beta

Download available here.

Very nice graphics, but it does not display custom topo maps I made. I am curious to see if others experience any similar results.

Thanks for the link.

I tried two custom map sets 1] Above the Timber's Colo Topos and 2] IndyJpr's Utah Topos. #2 caused 6.14.0.1Beta to error. I then used MapSetToolKit to delete the Utah Topos from the registry. Mapsource 6.14.0.1Beta then opened fine.

From my perspective this is a major Mapsource upgrade. Theirs a class of road used for city streets and important gravel roads, which all but disappeared before, now those back country roads jump out. Kudos Garmin!

It is not drawing street names and other labels; tooltips are broken as well: you get only tiny little square with '-' inside. When I installed it, it worked for a short while but then I tried to change font and I have not seen a single label ever since (tried to uninstall and reinstall). Software obviously knows about names because when you right click, you get them. From Red90's screenshot it is obvious that this problem is not specific to my computer.

There are also problems with screen repainting in many cases and you have to zoom in and out to get screen to refresh. Painting is rather slow as well, definitely slower than it used to be and I'd say that Google maps are faster. My computer is few years old but definitely still quite capable.

It seems like painting labels is major problem for Garmin lately, first Colorado (it is still not 100% working in current firmware version) and now even MapSource is affected.

One feature I would love to see in next non-beta version would be elevation depicted by color like it is on Colorado (green-yellow-brown) and ability to see terrain shading even on maps without DEM (City Navigator), it would probably require new basemap but that could be good marketing strategy to promote Colorado.

I am rather disappointed with Garmin. This should be called ALPHA when such a major feature is not working. On the positive side, it gets installed along side current MapSource so you are not really risking anything by trying it.

UPDATE: I have tried to install the software on my work computer and it did not show any label from the beginning.

Edited by Tomas4x4

Download available here.

Very nice graphics, but it does not display custom topo maps I made. I am curious to see if others experience any similar results.

Thanks for posting this. Finally roads look like roads and not the same as paths.

I can live with the slower graphics and without the labels for now. I am sure that they will re-appear with the next release.

Edited by Mike Hartland

I am sure that they will re-appear with the next release.

I am not sure.

Garmin remove more and more.

Live tracking removed from MapSource (nRoute do not have all the function of MapSource)

Not able to see POI on Nüvi above 80m

No street labels..

Edited by jotne

I just upgraded to the beta version from 6.13.2. In addition to the previously mentioned issues, I noticed two things: (a) the graphics are different. Text such as place appears blurred in the beta version compared to 6.13.2; (:rolleyes: waypoint symbols are different: I have waypoints with the standard dot (medium city) that now appear with a much larger green circle in the beta version.

Did these changes just occur, or did they get introduced in a version between 6.13.2 and the 6.14 beta version?

I just upgraded to the beta version from 6.13.2. In addition to the previously mentioned issues, I noticed two things: (a) the graphics are different. Text such as place appears blurred in the beta version compared to 6.13.2; (:rolleyes: waypoint symbols are different: I have waypoints with the standard dot (medium city) that now appear with a much larger green circle in the beta version.

Did these changes just occur, or did they get introduced in a version between 6.13.2 and the 6.14 beta version?

The blurring is an intermediate step; if you wait long enough it should clear up (at least that's what I am seeing). I think everything you are seeing starts with this Beta version.

I can't get the new beta version to work because of the NTDBData error, but I was able to re-install the previous version and get it to work.

That would be related to Ibycus Topo maps.

Note that this beta should not overwrite the "regular" version. I am able to run them both at the same time.

The main change is to make the graphics Nuvilike....
Do you suppose that the handhelds (60/76, Vista) will also get this Nuvi like transformation?

BTW, the screenshots you posted are truly worth 1000 words.

Thanks

I doubt it. The screens don't have enough resolution. Plus Garmin does not normal "add" features to models unless they are very new.

Can I get the beta version to work with Ibycus Topo maps installed, or do I need to remove them?

No. There is a "bug" that prevent certain custom maps from working. AFAIK, nobody knows the reason.

IMO, it does not matter as there is more broken with this beta than working. There is no point using it. Go back to the regular Mapsource.

Can I get the beta version to work with Ibycus Topo maps installed, or do I need to remove them?

No. There is a "bug" that prevent certain custom maps from working. AFAIK, nobody knows the reason.

IMO, it does not matter as there is more broken with this beta than working. There is no point using it. Go back to the regular Mapsource.

Thanks Red, that's what I was waiting to see if anyone was going to say before I tried it for myself. You probably saved me a lot of headaches with my custom maps.

After I installed the Beta I lost my maps. they won't show.

When following a route devised using the new beta version of Mapsource, my Vista Hcx failed to show my TOPO UK map, and denied having them, when I looked in the map setup page. All it showed was the basemap, which was not much use in the terrain I was walking. As soon as I stop navigating the contours etc. are back.

As nice as it appears, I will give the beta release a miss until the full product is ready.

After I installed the Beta I lost my maps. they won't show.

When following a route devised using the new beta version of Mapsource, my Vista Hcx failed to show my TOPO UK map, and denied having them, when I looked in the map setup page. All it showed was the basemap, which was not much use in the terrain I was walking. As soon as I stop navigating the contours etc. are back.

As nice as it appears, I will give the beta release a miss until the full product is ready.

I lost the maps in Mapsource on my Laptop.. I went back to the last version..In all the years I've been updateing Mapsource this has never happened.

I lost the maps in Mapsource on my Laptop.. I went back to the last version..In all the years I've been updateing Mapsource this has never happened.

Once again....

It is NOT an update. It installs a second, completely different version of Mapsource. At any time you can run the old version. The new version does not affect the old one......

Isn't it just possible that one of the reasons for this update is to keep 'certain custom maps' from working?

Ken Z

Why is the beta version so much smaller? The 6.13.7 install exe takes up 46,606 KB while the beta install is only 11,266 KB.

The betas only have English language included. The release versions have multiple languages making the final version bigger.

Isn't it just possible that one of the reasons for this update is to keep 'certain custom maps' from working?

Ken Z

From what I've read I believe it's to do with the ProductCode/Family ID and ID values of the maps that get loaded into the registry. Garmin appear to have tightened up on what Mapsource will accept as valid.