Creative SWAG

Jozii

When caching, I often find a lot of "useless" items that nobody really wants. Small plastic toys seems to be the most popular. Often these stay in a cache for a very long time, being largely ignored by people. I assume most people have this experience?

On the more interesting side, there are of course TB's and coins, but what is there beyond all this? Here's a few I can think of:

1. Free container - In an ammo box I once found a smaller empty container and a note saying "Free container". That was one of my more useful discocoveries.

2. CITO kit - I read somewhere about placing a "CITO kit" in a cache, the kit simply being a regular container with a plastic bag in it. That would be nice to find, because I always keep forgetting to bring something to collect trash in while caching.

3. Business cards - While perhaps not the most original, it's always nice to find cards from other cachers asking you to contact them or something. It makes the game slightly more personal.

4. Podcast sample CD - A CD with a sample show from a geocaching podcast. This idea can of course be applied to other stuff than podcast samples (but make sure it's nothing illegal).

5. Creativity cards - Blank cards with instructions on the back, asking people to write about something, draw something, or whatever. For example, a card could ask the finder to write a complete lie, tell a personal secret, draw a cartoon-like picture, etc.

6. Raffle tickets - I once placed 20 "raffle tickets", simply being numbered cards asking people to send me an e-mail to "activate" a found card, in a number of different caches. Later, a draw would be made to select a random winning ticket among the activated ones, and the winner would get a prize.

So, got any cool stuff you've found or read/heard about? Or ideas of your own? Please share them with us :angry:

ive been considering doing similar. i like to create arts and crafts of the non traditional kind. and some of the items im going to be putting in my first cache when its ready will be items like...

altered tins - any small tin that would usually be thrown in the trash ie an altoids tin. it gives a new lease of life by decorating it up in a tasteful but unique way.

atc's (artist trading cards) a small work or art on a card sized the same as a baseball trading card.

hand carved eraser rubber stamp - simple designs carved into an eraser make a good rubber stamp

handmade and bound blank books that have nice decorated covers.

these are only a few things but i say if you enjoy making something, no matter what it is, it will make a nice cache gift.

Unfortunately I'm not very artistic in that way, so creating something similar would be hard for me :rolleyes: Although I love the idea of artistic trading cards. Think you could make and send me one or two? :wub:

I do love to write, though, but I've yet to figure out a crative way to put that into good use for cache items...

I do love to write, though, but I've yet to figure out a crative way to put that into good use for cache items...

Why not pen some creative writing onto small cards that you can laminate? Someone is bound to find them more worthwhile a trade item than a broken McToy?

I'm a puzzle type of guy... I try and find small inexpensive wire entanglement puzzles. Nothing like getting a little puzzle that makes you think and is durable. Made a few of my own (the traditional bent nails puzzle) and left them in a few caches.

I have seen CITO kits in caches ...35MM film canister with a plastic supermarket bag in it and a small printed labled on the container. Those are great, grab it and CITO on the way out!

Unfortunately I'm not very artistic in that way, so creating something similar would be hard for me :rolleyes: Although I love the idea of artistic trading cards. Think you could make and send me one or two? :wub:

here is a link you may find quite interesting and useful

http://www.cedarseed.com/air/atc.html

as you can see, art doesnt have to be traditional art, art is what you make it. can be writing or it can be images of any type, as long as it is your own creation.

im unable to make any trading cards for you at the moment as im going to be away for a while.

usually i would be happy to create some for you or anyone.

I found a cache in Smileyberg KS that had instructions where the log was to contain a joke. I thought that was fun - although not a cache item. You could leave a small journal and ask the finder to write a short narrative about their day, where they are from, a 3 word descriptive of themselves, etc.

I love these ideas for cache items. I've been thinking about what to leave in caches I'm working on. One is going to be Kansas related, with all sorts of Kansas stuff - handmade sunflower pins, misc. Kansas items, and probably some Kansas quarters, cause who doesn't like money!?! It would be nice if finders would leave either state related swag or postcards.

Another cache I've been thinking of is to put in some SAS postcards, where people could jot a note and stick them in the mail box when they reach their destination. Still thinking on this one, but it would be fun to do with my students to map the location of the cachers.

Some of the swag that I have really enjoyed was personalized stuff - art pins, ceramic coins, even silly keychains that were "signed" by the cacher who left them.

The artist's trading cards look interesting. I think I would prefer they remain in the cache where you could see the growing collection when you visit the cache rather than trading them. It would be good to keep them in a special container in the cache container so they weren't all loose and list the size of this container( an envelope would do) on the cache page for these artist's trading cards so they'll bring the right size to fit.

I'll make plastic canvas refrigerator magnets sometimes.

:) I bought some blank cd's at walmart ($5.27 for 5 ) and I'm going to download some music that I have on my computer on them. One country music, one r&r, one christmas etc. I thought that would be kinda personal, but someone might enjoy the music!

That would be a great idea but you would be making illegal copies unless this is music you have recorded. However you could make your own recording talking to the finders of the cache and possibly add some royalty free music. Also, you can find $1 CDs at many dollar stores.

Indeed, that would be illegal. I wouldn't recommend it.

However, CD's with other stuff is cool. How about recording your own CD (not necessarily music), where you introduce yourself or something :)

A journal of some kind would be cool, something more than just a logbook. Or a larger logbook with space for writing longer texts. But I doubt many would actually take the time... How about one where you have to describe yourself in only 5 words or something. Simple, personal and not very time-consuming.

When caching, I often find a lot of "useless" items that nobody really wants. Small plastic toys seems to be the most popular. Often these stay in a cache for a very long time, being largely ignored by people. I assume most people have this experience?

On the more interesting side, there are of course TB's and coins, but what is there beyond all this? Here's a few I can think of:

1. Free container - In an ammo box I once found a smaller empty container and a note saying "Free container". That was one of my more useful discocoveries.

2. CITO kit - I read somewhere about placing a "CITO kit" in a cache, the kit simply being a regular container with a plastic bag in it. That would be nice to find, because I always keep forgetting to bring something to collect trash in while caching.

3. Business cards - While perhaps not the most original, it's always nice to find cards from other cachers asking you to contact them or something. It makes the game slightly more personal.

4. Podcast sample CD - A CD with a sample show from a geocaching podcast. This idea can of course be applied to other stuff than podcast samples (but make sure it's nothing illegal).

5. Creativity cards - Blank cards with instructions on the back, asking people to write about something, draw something, or whatever. For example, a card could ask the finder to write a complete lie, tell a personal secret, draw a cartoon-like picture, etc.

6. Raffle tickets - I once placed 20 "raffle tickets", simply being numbered cards asking people to send me an e-mail to "activate" a found card, in a number of different caches. Later, a draw would be made to select a random winning ticket among the activated ones, and the winner would get a prize.

So, got any cool stuff you've found or read/heard about? Or ideas of your own? Please share them with us :)

awesome suggestions. i'm waiting to place my first cache and with suggestions like these im sure it will be something worth finding!

I was thinking of putting a container of "Tip Jars" or "Pull tabs" in and hte one who got hte winning ticket would get a geocoin of some kind.

I think this would be interesting because it would take 100 people to find it, take the card and email me

Edited by crosschk

I don't know about CD's. I personally would be afraid of putting it in my computer because of virus fears. Not that I'm saying anyone would intentionally put a virus loaded CD in a cache, but they might not know their computer was infected.

Jim

well, you might put the cd in your cd player. it's not as vulnerable to viruses.

on the whole i have a basic disdain for the business card, unless soemone has taken the trouble to make it interesting. your name and the number of caches you have found is not interesting. a laminated card with a poem or drawing by you would be interesting.

anything handmade or custom-produced (like a nice token, not a TB coin but maybe similar) is very desirable.

in caches that are large enough, i leave photo dvds of geocaching photos, or i leave cd's that i have made or produced.

artwork on shrink plastic makes pretty little micro items.

it is my habit to take and destroy illegally burned cds and dvds.

in my area there's a cache who makes beautiful little paintings on stones that are more sought-after than FTFs. there are a couple of cachers who make medallions of composite clay.

i used to hand-pound pennies and engrave my name on them. they were pretty popular.

there are some cachers near me who buy cheap little wooden doo-dads and sign them. every so often they change doo-dad. people like to collect 'em all.

well, you might put the cd in your cd player. it's not as vulnerable to viruses.

<snip>

in caches that are large enough, i leave photo dvds of geocaching photos, or i leave cd's that i have made or produced.

Yeah, I guess a cd player is less vulnerable to viruses, but my cd player doesn't do well with photo cd's. Again it is the self produced cd's that make me really paranoid.

Jim

<snip>

Yeah, I guess a cd player is less vulnerable to viruses, but my cd player doesn't do well with photo cd's. Again it is the self produced cd's that make me really paranoid.

Jim

by "produced", i mean wrapped in cellophane, straight from the manufacturer.

as for the photo dvd, i find it works pretty well in my dvd player. and once again, you can put a home-produced cd in your cd player. many artists these days do their own recording, which is much more affordable.

no need for paranoia. or perhaps you just don't care about new music, which is just fine.

Has anyone herd of Letterboxing?? If not check out letterboxing.org this would be a neat thing to add to your cach and still be somewhat in the same idea as geocaching with a creative twist. I just herd about letterboxing and had no idea it has been around since 1894 and is still going strong. I have some in my area and hope to check them out as soon as time and money allows LOL.

I love to find geocaching stickers - stuff I can stick on my car.

I like to hide things that I could use on the trail. I've built my whole kit by finding stuff in caches: band-aids, sunscreen, extra batteries, whistle, signaling mirror, snake bite kit, emergency poncho and blanket, hand warmers, etc.

The SWAG item I like to leave in regular size caches is my "Signature Preform Micro 'Cache Ready To Go'". It's a soda bottle preform that contains a rolled up log, a note explaining what it is and a pencil. They look like this:

CamoStep01.jpg

Only this one is scuffed up in preparation for painting. The preform is an idea I borrowed from COD (Corps of Discovery) out of Central IL. People either take them to place as micros in their area, or use them for SWAG in other caches.

You might also check out these forum threads:

signature item to put into caches

Signature items, what do you leave?

signature swag

Looking for a low budget signature item

Just to name a few that came up in a search of the forums for "signature item" in the subject line. :rolleyes:

Cache On!

JohnTee

I love to find geocaching stickers - stuff I can stick on my car.

I like to hide things that I could use on the trail. I've built my whole kit by finding stuff in caches: band-aids, sunscreen, extra batteries, whistle, signaling mirror, snake bite kit, emergency poncho and blanket, hand warmers, etc.

I never thought of the geocaching stickers! :rolleyes:

When I find bags of stickers in caches I don't usually look at them.

This will have to change!!! I'd LOVE to put a geocaching sticker on my Jeep!!!!!! :)

And yes...I know I could just buy one...I've clicked all the links and looked at all the cool swag...and therein lies the problem...If I put a geocaching sticker in a shopping cart on one of those websites...it will immediately be joined by 3 or 4 t-shirts, 17 other stickers, a 6 pack of Bison Tubes, travel bug tags, geocoins, write-in-the-rain logbooks, etc., etc., etc. :D

Oh...and I'm pretty sure I read in the guidelines somewhere (after finding a set in a cache once) that you're not supposed to put batteries in caches because they can leak and burst and make yuckies in the box.

I just started putting our sig items. They are custom made lego geocaching minifigs. One of my husband and one of myself. They have gps in hand. You cant see the front of the gps in this image but it kinda does look like a gps (its a computer lego piece with a gauge looking thing that *I* believe is a compass)

theniffssiglrg.jpg

Edited by theniffs

I just started putting our sig items. They are custom made lego geocaching minifigs. One of my husband and one of myself. They have gps in hand. You cant see the front of the gps in this image but it kinda does look like a gps (its a computer lego piece with a gauge looking thing that *I* believe is a compass)

theniffssiglrg.jpg

you can get custom made lego?!?!?

wow, that's cool.

once some guy offered to trade his (unlaminated) business card sig for my cds, which i though was so far beneath my contempt that i didn't bother to respond. i'd trade for those, though. in a heartbeat. do you sign them so people know who they're from? i know some cachers who leave theirs in a stickered baggie so they can be identified.

You can do build a brick or use their lego builder software. I built these, the choices for pieces are limited but I must admit that I think they came out quite well. I have also ordered pieces from bricklink for special edition minifigs that I will be putting together. I dont want to give too many details ! dont want people stealing my ideas.

I like the idea of the 35mm cacnister with a grogery bag in it for a CITO & the similar idea with the glove.

I always have a bag of 35mm canisters & some stores dont have paper so I end up with plastic bags that I dont use. This would be a good recycle idea.

If anyone wants 35mm cans you can get them almost anywhere they do photo processing on the spot such as Walmart. Just ask for the empty canisters. Thanks for the idea. MW

I have something I do that I think is kind of neat. I take old precription bottles that I have cleaned out and removed the labels off of ( you can go to most small pharmacies and get new ones for a nickle or so). On the outside I tape the CITO icon and it says " Street Doc clean up kit" inside I put a shopping bag and a latex free glove. this way the person getting the container gets the glove and bag to do some cleanup and they also get a cache container in the form of a pill bottle. I don't put them in all caches I find but where I see lots of trash around I will leave one or two. Just my two cents worth.

How about a few scratch off lottery tickets?

No way. I'd kick myself myself if I left a scratch off in a cache, only to see a log from a happy finder who just won $100,000.

Actually I have left winning tickets for $2 and $5 because I was too lazy to go and cash them in.

I have been putting novelty money in caches. There are a couple companies that make a realistic million dollar bill. I sign my user name to the back and place it in the log book or wrinkle it up and put it in the bottom of the cache. Once I put one in an official bank envelope. I hope it's a good prank. I have not got any feedback yet.

I have been putting novelty money in caches. There are a couple companies that make a realistic million dollar bill. I sign my user name to the back and place it in the log book or wrinkle it up and put it in the bottom of the cache. Once I put one in an official bank envelope. I hope it's a good prank. I have not got any feedback yet.

That's just mean :grin: But would still be funny if someone actually fell for it :grin: