New Log Function Idea

Willy

I searched the forums, so please pardon if this has been raised before ...

What I'm proposing is the ability to add comments to logs much the way blogs allow folks to comment on articles. For example, a member makes a find on a cache, and writes something which invites comment. The cache owner or another member could click a "Comment" link and post a response.

Folks could get email notification (if desired) of comments and replies to comments. The viewing of such comments might be restricted to the separate log entry page with a simple notification on the main cache page that "This entry has comments." Spoilers could be encrypted.

Two events happened recently to inspire and reinforce this idea. In one, a local cacher posted an excellent log for one of my caches which included a question. I logged on, clicked on his name, went to his profile and emailed him directly. I then thought how cool would it be if I could just answer via a publicly viewable comment so that others could see the response.

Today, I placed a new cache and would have liked to comment on both the FTFr's and STFr's log entries to congratulate them, thank them for visiting, and to gently needle the STFr :angry:

I can imagine that this might open up some abuses, but those could be addressed by allowing cache owners to delete comments, and by allowing any member to report offensive posts.

Overall, I think making log entries a defacto forum for the cache would be an overwhelmingly positive influence on the community.

Whaddya think?

No thanks. I really wouldn't want to see the logs devolve into chitchat, and I sure don't want my PQs cluttered up with it. And I don't want to have to become a forum moderator for my cache pages. 02.gif

Perhaps a radio button on the report a new cache page to enable this function. Those of us who like the idea can enable it, the rest of you can keep em the way they are.

...I then thought how cool would it be if I could just answer via a publicly viewable comment so that others could see the response...

You already can do this. Under "log your visit" simply select the "write note" option.

Various suggestions of how to add similar features have been suggested and rejected. It seems that the majority don't want to see cache listings turned into blogs or chat rooms or forums. Besides, it isn't necessary when what you want is already possible.

:wub:

not only would i not want it enabled for the logs i write, but i would wan tit disabled on the caches i place. not just disabled as in invisbile to me, but disabled, as in nobody can leave comments like this.

you want to comment? write your own log.

Log: TFTC TNSL.

Comment 1: Nice log, don't strain yourself!

Comment 2: Buzz off, nobody asked you.

Comment 3: This is a 3/4 cache with a 2-mile hike in a great area, it deserves a much better log.

Comment 4: It's none of your business though is it?

etc.

Yeah that would work. B)

not only would i not want it enabled for the logs i write, but i would wan tit disabled on the caches i place. not just disabled as in invisbile to me, but disabled, as in nobody can leave comments like this.

you want to comment? write your own log.

Sign me up for this option as well.