"Reserved" First to Find

I guess after reading all these posts.. I need to clarify a bit. For me it's not about the whole FTF thing, it's more about putting a cache out there and requesting people not find it until the someone else aka the honoree) does... it just so happens that the honoree will be first, but what's to prevent the next step of someone updating a cache listing to reflect that an honoree should be to 10th person to find the cache because they alway like being the 10th person? FTF is irrelevant in the context of this discussion to me.

In that case, I still think the best option is to make it unavailable to others -- disable the cache after nine finds until the honoree finds it. That's weird, but it ought to work.

Hm, there's an idea. If you really want to reserve "the honor of being the first to complete the cache" (avoiding FTF now) on a published cache, disable it on publication. Will that prevent people from rushing out to it?

It would make no difference to the FTF junkies because they would not know that it was disabled until after finding the cache.

It would also not stop those racers that did see that it was disabled from getting angsty because the honoree made the find first.

well, then. if it isn't a competition, it won't matter who gets there first.

It apparently would matter to the cache owner, or they wouldn't have made a polite request on their cache page to wait until so & so found the cache. It's possible it mattered to the honoree. I haven't checked their logs to see their reaction.

I told you, in a previous response to this thread, the reaction when this has happened. Nothing. But a lot of you can't accept that we are happy with the way it works out.

So one last time for the record:

no one's log gets deleted.

no one is run off the island.

Although we understand the idea of giving someone coordinates ahead of time, we choose not to do it this way.

And finally, to those who have insisted that we "can't" do what's been described, yes we can! We just can't do a lot of the other things people seem to think we're doing.

Not to track off topic a whole lot, but how is it possible to have FTF logs before the cache is even published? I see that alot in my area.

Some cache owners have another cache owner 'test drive' their cache to make sure that there aren't any problems. Some cachers that prefer the FTF race get angsty when this happens.

Not to track off topic a whole lot, but how is it possible to have FTF logs before the cache is even published? I see that alot in my area.

Some cache owners have another cache owner 'test drive' their cache to make sure that there aren't any problems. Some cachers that prefer the FTF race get angsty when this happens.

I can understand the test drive scenario and makes sense. What I have noticed is a trend that the same handful of people are always the FTF/STF logging them and making a big deal of it. I wonder if the cache owners sometimes call their buddies and let them know about the cache coordinates before its published to make sure that only that one person gets the FTF and no one else. To me that defeats the entire purpose and creates an unfair advantage for the FTF, sort of a "wink wink" heres the cache, make sure you go out and get credit for the FTF.

I can understand the test drive scenario and makes sense. What I have noticed is a trend that the same handful of people are always the FTF/STF logging them and making a big deal of it. I wonder if the cache owners sometimes call their buddies and let them know about the cache coordinates before its published to make sure that only that one person gets the FTF and no one else. To me that defeats the entire purpose and creates an unfair advantage for the FTF, sort of a "wink wink" heres the cache, make sure you go out and get credit for the FTF.

If they are finding the cache prior to it being listed and the celebrating their FTF, they deserve an eyeroll.

when i beta test a cache, i sign the log as the beta tester, making sure not to claim FTF.

since i don't keep track of my FTFs, it matters little. often when i am first, i sign several pages in. nobody has to know the truth but me.

when i beta test a cache, i sign the log as the beta tester, making sure not to claim FTF.

since i don't keep track of my FTFs, it matters little. often when i am first, i sign several pages in. nobody has to know the truth but me.

Here are some examples, I omitted the logs to protect identities. Logs FTF before published and in the last one it was 2 days prior. :)

Cache Logs

June 1 by XXXXX (673 found)

[view this log on a separate page]

May 21 by XXXXX (573 found)

May 20 by IowaAdmin (3 found)

Published

May 19 by XXXXX(1595 found)

May 19 by xxx(542 found)

Cache Logs

June 6 by XXXXX

June 5 by XXXX(261 found)

June 4 by XXXX (261 found)

June 2 by XXXX (271 found)

bug drop

May 31 by XXXX (271 found)

May 25 XXX (2911 found)

May 20 by IowaAdmin (3 found)

Published

May 19 by XXX (542 found)

May 18 by XXX (327 found)

FTF

You can date your log with any date you want (I believe). I don't think there's any check that the date you choose is before publication. Without the text of those logs, my guess is that those were beta testers who claimed FTF.

Edited by Dinoprophet

You know I really dont care about FTF, it would be nice to have a few and I can see myself getting into it. The issue I have is that I see a trend that only a handful get the FTF's and the caches for those are many times hidden by the same little circle of people. Its like the race analogy.

Im in a race with you, you have been doing it for awhile, have a Porsche, and a good sponsor, me on the other hand am new to the race, no sponsor, only a few races under my belt and I drive a pinto. Not a very fun race for me so to speak.

Thanks for you input, Cache ON!

Edit: I have done some searching about this and it seems it has been discussed at length, even to point that I have figured out that we have a small handful FTF junkies around here that would soon run you over than get STF title.

Edited by jbhodj & Drake

Around here there have a handful of "tribute" caches in honor of the 1000 finds milestone. The caches are ammo cans painted gold and typically have some special FTF swag added specifically for the honoree. In most cases the caches were published with a request that the honoree be allowed to find it first. I am happy that I live in a geocaching community where this is not an issue and the request is always honored.

Well, I am glad you live in such a perfect community where everyone does nicey-nice and sings "Kumbaya" while holding hands... :o

My point is and will always be that if you publish a cache it's open for everyone to find. It does not make the other-than-intended finder rude or otherwise not nice. It just means they do not participate in or even do not know about your little mini-game. It's that simple.

It's been repeated more than once what someone can do to ensure that the honoree gets the FTF...why is this so hard to follow?

Well, I guess it goes to show that the adage that folks in NY State get a bad rap for being unkind and rude. Who would have thunk that we can actually respect a hiders wishes and play nice.

If someone got the FTF instead of the intended recipient, there would be nothing to do, but a loss of respect for that individual.

Why anyone would WANT someone to "reserve" them a FTF is beyond me. Must be the kind of people who install a new game and use cheats straight away :o

Fair enough for a milestone or celebration (or prize) you might want to give them the co-ordinates first by paper or email or whatever - but on a published cache that is just lame!

If someone got the FTF instead of the intended recipient, there would be nothing to do, but a loss of respect for that individual.

I find this so juvenile. Sorry. Just my lowly opinion.

+1

Juvenile is parents and coaches calling for soccer games to end in a tie because, sigh, their don't want their kids knowing what its like to lose.

In this case, you guys can do what you want. If someone has a request, I am going to respect the request, esp. if I know the intended recipient.

If I had no respect for anyone and was a numbers hog, then I would throw all that in the wind, get the caches first and say oh well sucks for you! But good for me!

THIS COMMUNITY of cachers that honored the individual, all respect each other. I was going to put one out, but am on travel and don't have enough time to get new caches out, nor have the time to maintain them, so I did th right thing by not trying and offered a congrats--I will go after some of them when I get the chance.

So the crux of this thread is this.

Go for it, throw all caution to the wind, do whatever it is you feel like, who cares about tributes, its all about ME, ME, ME!

What part of it do you find juvenile? Surely, it's not the 'loss of respect' part. How could it possibly be juvenile to quietly think less of a person based on his/her behaviour?

I agree.

I'd rather have no respect at all from a person that views who finds a cache that importantly than to worry about keeping it.

I will not pander to those that far in left field.

Go for it, throw all caution to the wind, do whatever it is you feel like, who cares about tributes, its all about ME, ME, ME!

Or you could not go after it and let the "honoree" get a hollow FTF victory.

Such an honor, indeed. :o

Better still, you could realize that you have ZERO, NADA, NONE, ZIP, ZILCH reason to complain if someone gets a FTF before your intended recipient if you publish the cache. It's not rude or boorish for someone to not go along and play your little game if the cache was already published.

If anything it's the lack of forethought of the cache placer. They could have thought ahead on this. If this person had to have their precious cache found by the "honoree" first they had many options to follow to ensure that without restricting other people's games.

How is this so hard to comprehend for you people? Do we need to say this in simpler terms for you to get it?

I agree with another person that posted here. If I were to encounter people who were so wrapped-up into this that it mattered as much to them as it does to you, I'd find that cache out of spite just to irritate them. No, I wouldn't take the presents or whatnot, but I'd take pleasure knowing people got their knickers in a wad over something terribly silly.

Or you could not go after it and let the "honoree" get a hollow FTF victory. ...

I think that I've found the disconnect. Edited by sbell111

There is a series of caches around here honoring certain cachers who get FTFs a lot... and they're not allowed to be FTF on the cache named for them. I think it's fun and creative.

Creating a cache to honor someone and requesting that they get the FTF isn't a big deal. Especially if it is for cachers who have a good reputation, high numbers... they're not going to let it sit for days on end without finding it. Around here, they're usually found within 30 minutes or an hour, since most of the cachers around here get phone alerts and have flexible schedules, lol.

fortunately this stupid practice hasn't made its way into my neck of the woods; i have enough caches on my ignore list.

around here it is common to leave a gift for a specific cacher in the cache for whenever they get to it. occasionally there's a prize for the second or fifth or seventeenth finder, but still (thankfully) no reserved FTFs.

if people want to hand out false honors and bask in the flatulence, i won't interfere.

..but i will make jokes at their expense.

What part of it do you find juvenile? Surely, it's not the 'loss of respect' part. How could it possibly be juvenile to quietly think less of a person based on his/her behaviour?

Whether you do it quietly or not, saying you have less respect for someone who grabbed a FTF on a cache that was supposed to BE RESERVED for someone else is so juvenile. If you don't like that word, then try childish. Our nation is going to fall from power because of idiotic behavior like this.

Whether you do it quietly or not, saying you have less respect for someone who grabbed a FTF on a cache that was supposed to BE RESERVED for someone else is so juvenile. If you don't like that word, then try childish. Our nation is going to fall from power because of idiotic behavior like this.

Not sure I'd go as far as putting this among the reasons our nations will fall from power but until FTF is officially acknowledged as something by Geocachers as a whole, it is always going to shrouded in misunderstanding.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

People who place a cache to honor the achievements of their fellow cachers, politely request that the honoree is allowed to find it first, and are disappointed if another cacher disregards their wishes hate America? :o

BTW, I look at every new cache to be a gift from the cache owner to the community. Therefore, I think that it's childish if someone can't respect the cache owner's request and allow an honoree to find the cache first. In my opinion, the mature thing to do would be to accept the giver's wishes in order to partake of the gift.

Edited by sbell111

In a nutshell:

A Local cacher recently hit the 3000 milestone (The cacher did it VERY quickly)

Several other cachers got together and placed caches in honor of this great feat and posted "Please let so and so be the FTF"

It is truly a great feat and the cacher has hidden oodles and oodles of caches. Not only do they find them, they hide them.

The question I have is... Should the caches that were placed been "reserved FTF" for the cacher meeting the milestone? They were just that... (requested in the cache posting). I think that if they wanted to place caches for one particular person to find they should have done it privately.

And once again.. the cacher being honored deserves it.. but it still seems incorrect...

Thoughts?

The caches placed in this cacher's honor by the other cachers, along with the request re FTF that the cache owners made on their cache listing pages, sounds great to me! I see no problems at all! And, it certainly does NOT seem at all "incorrect" to me! It all sounds like just plain old harmless fun, but it does go to show that there will always be someone who will come along and try to make a big deal out of something which is harmless, someone who maybe needs to start to learn how to let go of things.

In a nutshell:

A Local cacher recently hit the 3000 milestone (The cacher did it VERY quickly)

Several other cachers got together and placed caches in honor of this great feat and posted "Please let so and so be the FTF"

It is truly a great feat and the cacher has hidden oodles and oodles of caches. Not only do they find them, they hide them.

The question I have is... Should the caches that were placed been "reserved FTF" for the cacher meeting the milestone? They were just that... (requested in the cache posting). I think that if they wanted to place caches for one particular person to find they should have done it privately.

And once again.. the cacher being honored deserves it.. but it still seems incorrect...

Thoughts?

The caches placed in this cacher's honor by the other cachers, along with the request re FTF that the cache owners made on their cache listing pages, sounds great to me! I see no problems at all! And, it certainly does NOT seem at all "incorrect" to me! It all sounds like just plain old harmless fun, but it does go to show that there will always be someone who will come along and try to make a big deal out of something which is harmless, someone who maybe needs to start to learn how to let go of things.

No matter how reasonable of an argument you make, they aren't going to let go until some takes away their keyboard. Trying to explain to them that it's not about someone handing a person a FTF, but more of a cache that is honoring a person is like trying to nail a raw egg on a tree. It ain't ever going to happen.

El Diablo

No matter how reasonable of an argument you make, they aren't going to let go until some takes away their keyboard. Trying to explain to them that it's not about someone handing a person a FTF, but more of a cache that is honoring a person is like trying to nail a raw egg on a tree. It ain't ever going to happen.

El Diablo

You can honor someone with a cache really easy and there's no issue in it.

When it comes to "requesting" that others hold off until they find it then there's the issue.

El Diablo

You can honor someone with a cache really easy and there's no issue in it.

When it comes to "requesting" that others hold off until they find it then there's the issue.

You don't get it, and obviously will never get it. I'm sorry about that. One day hopefully you will discover this is a game of fun. It's not a life or death matter, just fun. I just don't understand why someone would see a cache published in honor of someone else requesting they be allowed to log it first would cause so much nashing of the teeth.

El Diablo

FTF is only considered an honor because you got there first, or someone got there first. if it didn't mean anything, people wouldn't want to get them. the only reason they mean anything is because they're hard to get.

it isn't an honor to be handed a hollow prize; it's an embarrassment. or it ought to be.

still i wouldn't ever interfere with somebody's claiming of a false honor.

i might draw cartoons about it, or write a little song or make their name a verb meaning "to hand out trophies you didn't earn" or i might put out a series of 1/1 trashcaches and reserve EVERY FTF for that person. you know, 'cause they seem to need the extra help.

here you go, sweetie. this one's alllll yours. you found it! yay! next week we'll work on getting those shoes tied. yes, you can have a trophy for that too.

i went on a FTF hunt once and came up several hours short. the cache owner didn't like something about the first finder's methods or something and tried to award ME with the FTF. i declined the "honor" pretty publicly and still refer to it from time to time. it's a popular joke around here.

FTF is only considered an honor because you got there first, or someone got there first. if it didn't mean anything, people wouldn't want to get them. the only reason they mean anything is because they're hard to get.

it isn't an honor to be handed a hollow prize; it's an embarrassment. or it ought to be.

i might draw cartoons about it, or write a little song or make their name a verb meaning "to hand out trophies you didn't earn" or i might put out a series of 1/1 trashcaches and reserve EVERY FTF for that person. you know, 'cause they seem to need the extra help.

here you go, sweetie. this one's alllll yours. you found it! yay! next week we'll work on getting those shoes tied. yes, you can have a trophy for that too.

i went on a FTF hunt once and came up several hours short. the cache owner didn't like something about the first finder's methods or something and tried to award ME with the FTF. i declined the "honor" pretty publicly and still refer to it from time to time. it's a popular joke around here.

You also don't get it. It's not about giving someone a false honor of being FTF. It's about placing a cache in their honor celebrating some milestone. I'm sure that claiming a FTF is the farthest thing from the honoree's mind. They are just proud to log a cache placed acknowledging them.

As stated before, asking that others let that person be the FTF that cache is like asking people invited to a birthday party not to eat the cake before the birthday person blows out the candles.

Every cache published belongs to some individual, not to the public. They placed the cache so the public could enjoy finding it. I don't understand what is wrong in honoring any request they might make. Throwing a fit in the middle of the floor like a 3 year old, is exactly how it sounds...childish.

El Diablo

You also don't get it. It's not about giving someone a false honor of being FTF. It's about placing a cache in their honor celebrating some milestone. I'm sure that claiming a FTF is the farthest thing from the honoree's mind. They are just proud to log a cache placed acknowledging them.

As stated before, asking that others let that person be the FTF that cache is like asking people invited to a birthday party not to eat the cake before the birthday person blows out the candles.

Every cache published belongs to some individual, not to the public. They placed the cache so the public could enjoy finding it. I don't understand what is wrong in honoring any request they might make. Throwing a fit in the middle of the floor like a 3 year old, is exactly how it sounds...childish.

El Diablo

I agree. I also think it is childish and frankly very mean to start insulting the person being honored by implying that they are stupid and need to have their hand held or their shoelaces tied for them, because someone else chooses to honor them this way. If you can ignore the cache, why can't you ignore this thread, rather then outright insulting the hider or the finder?

Oops, time to call Vinny again...

El Diablo, it is you who do not get it and do not patronize me. I get it quite well, thank you very much.

We know people want to honor others. Fine. We get it.

We know that people would like to have said honoree find it first. Fine. We get it.

However the point is, when a cache is published it is fair game for anyone to find (and possibly get that FTF) and no amount of whining, claiming boorish behavior will change that fact. It does not make that cacher a bad person in any way. They were having fun and found the cache before the honoree. If having their fun somehow spoiled what others wanted, too bad...they should have thought of other ways to hand that cache to the person they honor.

It is not the end of the world, despite what people like you would have us think. It seems to me that people like you are the uptight ones...we are having fun and it is you all who are crying about being "polite" in cache hunting.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

FTF brings a different image to different people.

To some, it's a race to see who can get there first. This image carries the assumption that the race is open to all and should not be "rigged" for any specific person. After all, is it a race if someone has an unfair advantage? The honor comes from getting there before anyone else.

To others, FTF has nothing to do with a race, and it merely means that someone signed the log book first. In this version, the honor can come from having friends that will let you log the cache before the general community.

So, there are lots of ways these two definitions clash. Once a person is locked in on one of the views, its tough to see the other one.

Different people play the game differently.

El Diablo, it is you who do not get it and do not patronize me. I get it quite well, thank you very much.

We know people want to honor others. Fine. We get it.

We know that people would like to have said honoree find it first. Fine. We get it.

However the point is, when a cache is published it is fair game for anyone to find (and possibly get that FTF) and no amount of whining, claiming boorish behavior will change that fact. It does not make that cacher a bad person in any way. They were having fun and found the cache before the honoree. If having their fun somehow spoiled what others wanted, too bad...they should have thought of other ways to hand that cache to the person they honor.

It is not the end of the world, despite what people like you would have us think. It seems to me that people like you are the uptight ones...we are having fun and it is you all who are crying about being "polite" in cache hunting.

I never claimed it was the end of the world. Nor did I call anyone boorish. Also I see crying on both sides of the fence.

I agree with what Moose Mob just said. We are both set in our opinions, and the other isn't likey to change our minds. So we'll just have to agree to disagree and move on. No hard feelings. :lol:

El Diablo

I never claimed it was the end of the world. Nor did I call anyone boorish. Also I see crying on both sides of the fence.

I agree with what Moose Mob just said. We are both set in our opinions, and the other isn't likey to change our minds. So we'll just have to agree to disagree and move on. No hard feelings. :lol:

El Diablo

Fair enough.

I agree. I also think it is childish and frankly very mean to start insulting the person being honored by implying that they are stupid and need to have their hand held or their shoelaces tied for them, because someone else chooses to honor them this way. If you can ignore the cache, why can't you ignore this thread, rather then outright insulting the hider or the finder?

Oops, time to call Vinny again...

what i'm doing HERE is having a great deal of fun with this issue. happily, this addlepated practice hasn't reached my neighborhood.

with a few well-placed jabs, maybe people will think twice about bringing it in.

you've heard of hyperbole, right?

oooh, oooh! i've just had a BRILLIANT idea!

my next cache is going to have a reserved FTF in "honor" of someone i'll choose for their particular quality of finding a cache months after it comes out, if at all. someone who doesn't check their email, preferably.

the FTF will then have the right to name who the second finder will be, and so on down the line. if you find the cache out of turn, your log will not only be deleted, but you will have to verify a subsequent visit IN YOUR TURN!

this'll be fun.

oooh, oooh! i've just had a BRILLIANT idea!

my next cache is going to have a reserved FTF in "honor" of someone i'll choose for their particular quality of finding a cache months after it comes out, if at all. someone who doesn't check their email, preferably.

the FTF will then have the right to name who the second finder will be, and so on down the line. if you find the cache out of turn, your log will not only be deleted, but you will have to verify a subsequent visit IN YOUR TURN!

this'll be fun.

It actually sounds interesting! The only down side would be someone that takes forever to log it. Of course as the cache owner if that happened you could just designate the next person and cancel out the current one.

El Diablo

The only down side would be someone that takes forever to log it.

I think that was the point.

yes, it was.

i'm going to name it "this one's for you, (insert name here)" and the only people who will be able to log it are the people whose name occupies the title and anyone who comes WITH them. the real trick will be getting yourself named as the designated finder.

I know what his point was. I'm fairly intelligent and can usually figure out what people are trying to convey in their posts.

His basic idea is an interesting one. I know he was being sarcastic, but it's still a thought worth exploring. Note I said the basic idea, not exactly as he has layed out.

El Diablo

I know what his point was. I'm fairly intelligent and can usually figure out what people are trying to convey in their posts.

His basic idea is an interesting one. I know he was being sarcastic, but it's still a thought worth exploring. Note I said the basic idea, not exactly as he has layed out.

El Diablo

no, i'm really going to do it.

crashco and i are working on a new set of caches that we are designing to punish FTF hounds.

we're about to have exclusive rights to post caches on a beautiful trail system with a $6 day use fee.

if you come after we've installed the set, you'll get a whole bunch of varied hides in different habitats, and because it's private (not-for-profit) land that we are intimately connected with, we'll be able to do some fun things with the hides. loads of fun for your $6. you'll be able to cache all day and maybe have time to use the terrain park, too.

...unless you want the FFs, in which case it'll be $6 per person, per cache.

we'll be releasing the caches one at a time, each one as soon as there's a FTF.

I would like to hear a Reviewers take on the basic idea of hiding a cache and then designating who can log it next.

As far as your idea of charging money to log a cache, I don't think will fly.

El Diablo

there are lots of caches at day use areas (state parks leap immediately to mind) where there's an admission fee.

the verdict from the reviewer is that since the trail system is a 401c nonprofit with a conservation designation, a trail pass is just as permissible as if it were a state or city park with an admission fee.

I don't understand what is wrong in honoring any request they might make.

Some folks can't help being childish. It's how their parents raised them. The best you can do is pity them for their hollowness.

wait, wait! i can't tell which side of the debate you're on! it's hurting my head!

i was raised by parents who didn't let kids win games just to let them win. my dad used to offer to stop and teach me what i could have done differently, but anytime i beat either of my parents, i knew i'd earned it.

when i play games against kids, i give them the option of having me play hard or not. almost all of the time they want me to play hard. they know they're probably going to lose, but they cherish the idea that they might beat me on even footing. there's an honor and respect to earning your wins the hard way.

a twelve-year-old stands a little taller when you take him on as an equal and he kicks you from one end of the field to the other.

I don't understand what is wrong in honoring any request they might make.

Some folks can't help being childish. It's how their parents raised them. The best you can do is pity them for their hollowness.

wait, wait! i can't tell which side of the debate you're on! it's hurting my head!

i was raised by parents who didn't let kids win games just to let them win. my dad used to offer to stop and teach me what i could have done differently, but anytime i beat either of my parents, i knew i'd earned it.

when i play games against kids, i give them the option of having me play hard or not. almost all of the time they want me to play hard. they know they're probably going to lose, but they cherish the idea that they might beat me on even footing. there's an honor and respect to earning your wins the hard way.

a twelve-year-old stands a little taller when you take him on as an equal and he kicks you from one end of the field to the other.

You know, me you, sbell, A&T, and clan have pretty much dominated this thread. We have all voiced our opinions. None of us are going to change our opinions. We are now getting into personal areas that aren't going to bring any good to this thread. A&T and I agreed to disagree and move along without any hard feelings. I think that's a good idea all around.

Why don't we just let this thread die? Better yet maybe a Mod will close it. The original question has been answered. Now we are just arguing with each other.

It's been a nice debate, but we are getting borderline on disrespectful to each other. I respect everyone here.

Lets call a truce. :lol:

El Diablo