Fortune Favors the Bold

The Moop Along

Who can tell me what the symbols mean first? The 5 shamrocks are easy, but do you recognize the other ones? Who said that quote? Be the first to get them all correct and you might get something extra nice in the mail someday soon! :)

OK Chris, let me try this again.

Symbol: The Chinese Good Luck Knot - means good luck.

Symbol: A Swastica (Nivens Tablet, The Four Forces of Fate) Wind

Symbol: The Five Good Fortunes Wealth, Health, Longevity, Love, and Virtue

Symbol: A Horsehoe

Symbol: Gibo Auja

"We make our Fortunes..." Quote is from Benjamin Disraeli.

"Fortune Favors The Bold" is from Virgil.

Letters intersperced within the design spell out PROSPERITY

You got it! We have a winner!! Niven's finding are still much debated, but the source I originally based the design on goes back to the story of the Tower of Babel and was later repeated in cultures all around the world and particularly in North and Central Americas. The swastica is said to depict the "the four winds of fate". It symbolicly and pictorially depicted both wind and direction of movement.

Benjamin Disraeli of course was the former Prime Minister of Britain and I love that quote. It seemed very fitting to pull the two coins together :)

The horse shoe I decided to tip on an angle because theories of luck seem to be split 50/50 on whether the points should be pointing up or down for luck :D

Good job!!! Thanks for putting in the super-fast research and sorry I couldn't answer back sooner when I got a bit tied up this weekend :D I have your addy and I'll send along something fun soon :D

Nope, the symbol is truly invisible to the naked eye, but quite obvious to the minds eye :)

Just got off the phone with the geocoinstore and they are indeed sold out of their initial order. I guess they ordered small and waited to see how it was received, but now they're completing the full order. There's even rumor of another metal/enamel combo possibility :)

Anybody ready for the bonus round? There's another invisible symbol on the lion's head side that directly relates to the Tempting the Fates coin. Can you see it with your mind's eye? It's there twice! :)

AHHH! Lion's head SIDE... I was originally looking just at the lion... need to expand my search area a little bit :)

Who can tell me what the symbols mean first? The 5 shamrocks are easy, but do you recognize the other ones? Who said that quote? Be the first to get them all correct and you might get something extra nice in the mail someday soon! :D

OK Chris, let me try this again.

Symbol: The Chinese Good Luck Knot - means good luck.

Symbol: A Swastica (Nivens Tablet, The Four Forces of Fate) Wind

Symbol: The Five Good Fortunes Wealth, Health, Longevity, Love, and Virtue

Symbol: A Horsehoe

Symbol: Gibo Auja

"We make our Fortunes..." Quote is from Benjamin Disraeli.

"Fortune Favors The Bold" is from Virgil.

Letters intersperced within the design spell out PROSPERITY

You got it! We have a winner!! Niven's finding are still much debated, but the source I originally based the design on goes back to the story of the Tower of Babel and was later repeated in cultures all around the world and particularly in North and Central Americas. The swastica is said to depict the "the four winds of fate". It symbolicly and pictorially depicted both wind and direction of movement.

Benjamin Disraeli of course was the former Prime Minister of Britain and I love that quote. It seemed very fitting to pull the two coins together :)

The horse shoe I decided to tip on an angle because theories of luck seem to be split 50/50 on whether the points should be pointing up or down for luck :D

Good job!!! Thanks for putting in the super-fast research and sorry I couldn't answer back sooner when I got a bit tied up this weekend :rolleyes: I have your addy and I'll send along something fun soon :D

Wow Yay I won the first round! Thanks so much, you know I REALLY wanted to. I love looking at your coins and finding the hidden surprises!

Ok, my husband and I practically stood on our heads to find this. Here is our guess:

The symbols all have a bit of the royal blue background showing through making them look like they are "cradled" in "C"s (for Chris I presume?). In fact, when you look at them, they all look like they would fit perfectly in the "C" made in the top of the skull of the Tempting Fates coin.

ELTADA

Two inverted pentograms?

We have another winner!!!

The pentagram, a symbol of protection as well as the personal symbol of King Solomon (an historical figure admired as being both bold and brave) is repeated twice. Once among the 5 symbols, and once among the 5 clovers...

FATE.jpg

FORTUNEPENTA1.jpg

FORTUNEPENTA2.jpg

Good job :D PM me your snail mail and I'll put something in the mail out to you soon! Thanks for playing everybody :rolleyes:

Two inverted pentograms?

We have another winner!!!

The pentagram, a symbol of protection as well as the personal symbol of King Solomon (an historical figure admired as being both bold and brave) is repeated twice. Once among the 5 symbols, and once among the 5 clovers...

FATE.jpg

FORTUNEPENTA1.jpg

FORTUNEPENTA2.jpg

Good job :D PM me your snail mail and I'll put something in the mail out to you soon! Thanks for playing everybody :rolleyes:

Well sure, now I can see them :)

My minds eye must be blind cause there is no way I would have ever saw that...

Got my two today and man are they gorgeous! I thought they would be antique silver, tho. :grin: The ones I got are antique gold or bronze. Not complaining, no but the picture sure looked silvery. :D

Oh, and they are really hefty too! Got some serious weight to 'em. B)

Sooooooo, anyhoo, I have a spare available... :grin:

CF30

P.S. Antique silver would look great on this coin. As well as antique copper.... B)

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Mine came in today too. The pictures look silvery because there was a lot of light pouring in on the coins and it bleached out some of the color. The blue enamel in the pics looks like a light ocean blue, but in real life, it looks more like a deep royal blue. The back side also has a three dementional quality because of all the layers of text and graphice, that really doesn't show up in a pic. Really impressive. I just love these :grin:

Edited by nashuan

I got mine today and love, love, love it! What a great job!

CF, I thought they were going to be antique silver also! I'm not complaining either, but the pictures look antique silver.

What a beautiful coin!

they are NOT silver? well... that's interesting.

i didn't think the word graphics on the back were part of the coin either, that was just the name. the back is so pretty too.

maybe mine/marky's will be in the mail when i get home from this hell hole i call work. they have already hit ebay.

lara

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Nope, the symbol is truly invisible to the naked eye, but quite obvious to the minds eye :grin:

Just got off the phone with the geocoinstore and they are indeed sold out of their initial order. I guess they ordered small and waited to see how it was received, but now they're completing the full order. There's even rumor of another metal/enamel combo possibility :grin:

So you mean these coins aren't actually Sold Out right? Cool. That's great news.

TMA

I had heard from a really good source that there was thought of other combos depending on how well this one did. I also thought it was going to be silver but after they came in and weren't I looked back at the pic and on the laptop if I tilt the screen back and look at it from the bottom at a sharp angle I could see the gold (maybe bronze, I can't tell the diff.) I love this coin. The are beautiful, as would be expected from Mr. Mackey.

Nope, the symbol is truly invisible to the naked eye, but quite obvious to the minds eye :rolleyes:

Just got off the phone with the geocoinstore and they are indeed sold out of their initial order. I guess they ordered small and waited to see how it was received, but now they're completing the full order. There's even rumor of another metal/enamel combo possibility :lol:

another colour combo? i am voting on the antique silver and lighter blue - like the photo looks like. i think a dark metal, like copper and the dark blue would not be a good combo because there isn't enough contrast between the two.

rsg

I had heard from a really good source that there was thought of other combos depending on how well this one did. I also thought it was going to be silver but after they came in and weren't I looked back at the pic and on the laptop if I tilt the screen back and look at it from the bottom at a sharp angle I could see the gold (maybe bronze, I can't tell the diff.) I love this coin. The are beautiful, as would be expected from Mr. Mackey.

I could have sworn when I placed my order that it said the metal finish was Antique Silver. I know the picture was different, but I figured it might be Chris's version or another one the store made.

I could have sworn when I placed my order that it said the metal finish was Antique Silver. I know the picture was different, but I figured it might be Chris's version or another one the store made.

that sounds vaguely familiar. i don't think that photo of the silver one could have been gold, no matter how much i tilt my monitor!

still a gorgeous design. have to keep my eyes out for more of this person's art work.

rsg

Received my coins today. I am pretty sure that when I ordered them it said antique silver on the order page. I love mine in the antique gold, as I prefer gold over silver anyhow. And I would LOVE a copper version of this coin if another color combo is made ;):) This is a beautiful design and has a very nice weight to it, GOOD JOB Chris!!!!!

I had not heard of these coins and just happened to see it and I thought I wonder why I had not heard of this coin it looks great. SO I bought a couple and now I see the thread. Was this coin not really talked about or did I just miss the topic. Either way I love the coin and I'm glad I got to add it to my collection.

I received my Fortune Favors the Bold coin today and it's wonderful! I am new to geocoin collecting and I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I can get the specs on this coin? I wanted to keep a spreadsheet to help me remember what the material(s) are, size, whether there are limited quantities, etc. I think this particular coin is Antique brass or bronze but need some confirmation...can anyone help me?

Thanks!

I received my Fortune Favors the Bold coin today and it's wonderful! I am new to geocoin collecting and I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I can get the specs on this coin? I wanted to keep a spreadsheet to help me remember what the material(s) are, size, whether there are limited quantities, etc. I think this particular coin is Antique brass or bronze but need some confirmation...can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Specifications-Approximately 1.75" Across, 5MM thickness, Antique Gold. I believe this finish may be reminted plus one more.