Fortune Favors the Bold

The Moop Along

I normally don't open threads for new releases at The Geocoin Store. I mean, they're good friends, but I feel bad jamming their product around the boards.

However, that being said, I just popped into the store to find this:

fortune_1.jpg

fortune_2.jpg

Fortune Favors the Bold, another STUNNING design from Mackey himself. At 5MM thick and $8.50 each (WOW) I can't imagine this one is going to sit around very long.

Nice job Chris (and Mike)

TMA

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

:angry: Didn't know they'd been posted until Frozen Buns called me last night to ask how long they'd been up! I was a bit surprised, but it's been a long time in the making and the first coin I've ever done with a full 7 elevation layers in the design :)

Now comes the fun part...

Who can tell me what the symbols mean first? The 5 shamrocks are easy, but do you recognize the other ones? Who said that quote? Be the first to get them all correct and you might get something extra nice in the mail someday soon! :)

This is my first post on this forum though I have been absorbing TONS of information for a little while now. I am starting to think that geocoins are going to be the fate of my pocketbook...! oh well. :angry:

The quote on the coin is Benjamin Disraeli (an author and politician who lived in England in the 1800s).

Not sure about some of the symbols (though I do see the horseshoe on there)...and the lion has been associated with courage.

EDIT: Ok, I am going to take a stab a few of the symbols (I think they are an interpretation by the coin designer)...

Symbol on the right hand side is a revised swastika (originally meant as a good fortune symbol before Hitler got his hands on it) that has been "cracked"??

The symbol in the top left is a pair of scissors (often related to changing fate)..even with an "f" worked into it!

Not sure if I'm right on any of them but it's fun trying to guess!

Love this coin...might have to be my second coin ever purchased!

ELTADA

Edited by ELTADA

:angry: Didn't know they'd been posted until Frozen Buns called me last night to ask how long they'd been up! I was a bit surprised, but it's been a long time in the making and the first coin I've ever done with a full 7 elevation layers in the design :)

Now comes the fun part...

Who can tell me what the symbols mean first? The 5 shamrocks are easy, but do you recognize the other ones? Who said that quote? Be the first to get them all correct and you might get something extra nice in the mail someday soon! :)

The Chinese Good Luck Knot - Seen at approximately 1 O'Clock

A Swastica from Niven's tablet number 1231 at approximately 4 O'Clock

The Five Good Fortunes at 6 O"Clock (These five good fortunes are: Wealth, Health, Longevity, Love, and Virtue.)

A Horsehoe at 7:30

Gibo Auja (A Runic Symbol for Luck) at 11:00

Now if only I had a larger image to see some fo the finer details! Thanks for the fun Chris I love this coin, but then again, I LOVE every coin you make!!!

Edited by UOTrackers
The Chinese Good Luck Knot - Seen at approximately 1 O'Clock

The Parasol A Swastic from Niven's tablet number 1231 at approximately 4 O'Clock

The Five Good Fortunes at 6 O"Clock (These five good fortunes are: Wealth, Health, Longevity, Love, and Virtue.)

A Horshoe at 7:30

I'm still searching for the last one...

I'm going to go with UOTrakcers on the last one:

Gibo Auja (A Runic Symbol for Luck) at 11:00

This may also be a rune giving protection.

The "We make our Fortunes.." Quote is indeed from Benjamin Disraeli.

But don't forget the last quote: "Fortune Favors The Bold" is from Virgil.

Edited by Six Little Spookies

I'm going to go with ELTADA on the last one:

The symbol in the top left is a pair of scissors (often related to changing fate)..even with an "f" worked into it!

The last one was the hardest for me to find, but then I came across this GoodLuck.gif It looked runic to me when I looked at it first so I got out my own set of runes but they are just letters, next I tried runes for the number 7 then I finally saw this!It was a lot of fun searching though, I could probably name about 20 lucky symbols now!

The guesses are close enough on most and of course the quotes have been accounted for. Only one (and probably the most hotly debated) is still up for grabs. Famous for it's use in cultures around the world and long before it became known as the swastica, there were a few names for this symbol. More importantly, what it depicted. I'll give a hint, too... it's name includes the word "Fate" in it :)

It was really big with natives of North America until Hitler came along :angry:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Edited the title for the OP, as it appears that weepy-eyed kitties can't spell right. Maybe it's time to have it de-clawed?

Neutered might be a better answer :)

Wow. Talk about off topic :angry: Goofballs . . .

Hey, good thing Chris is more meticulous than you, otherwise it could've been "Fortune Favors The Bald".

Might've effected sales a bit. :)

Chris, IMO, this is by far the best you've done. I mean, I'm talkin' Gotta-go-find-where-my-sock-blew-off-to good. More than excellence on this one...sublimity.

The guesses are close enough on most and of course the quotes have been accounted for. Only one (and probably the most hotly debated) is still up for grabs. Famous for it's use in cultures around the world and long before it became known as the swastica, there were a few names for this symbol. More importantly, what it depicted. I'll give a hint, too... it's name includes the word "Fate" in it :)

Well, there is a swastika-ish design up in the top right celtic knot. Very misunderstood symbol now, and exactly because of Hitler.

ETA: Is it called the fylfot?

Edited by YemonYime

Wheel of Fate?

It was really big with natives of North America until Hitler came along :)

Wheel of Fate?

Close, it was also called the Sun Wheel. I'm looking for the other name. "The .... ..... .. Fate" :angry:

OK how about the Four Forces of Fate?

That's my translation from this:

NIVEN'S MEXICAN STONE TABLET No.1231

This symbolises the four great primary forces issuing directly from the central creator. Each force has an arrowhead showing activity from west to east indicating the circular motion which occurs throughout the universe. The four forces as manifest in our solar system are:

1. A propelling force from the Sun to carry the Earth along her orbit.

2. A repellant force from the Sun to prevent the Earth being pulled into the Sun.

3. An attractive force from the Sun to prevent the Earth from flying out of the Solar System.

4. A magnetic force from the Earth that has an affinity with forces 1 and 3.

This last force is different for each planet, and enables them to maintain their respective orbits around the Sun.

Edited by UOTrackers

I think you're thinking to hard on the origin of the symbol. I'm looking for the meaning of the symbol. Particularly what it "pictures". You can almost see it just in the shape :angry:

Hopi, Navajo, Niven all expressed 3 common elements. 4 Times/Seasons, 4 Directions and ...

:)

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Well with RW being in the Air Force and "Aduentes Fortuna Juvat" (Fortune Favors the Bold) being the motto of the 366th Air Expeditionary Fighter Wing here in Idaho, where he works, we'll have to add this coin to our seeking list. Very nicely done Chris!

OK Chris, let me try this again.

Symbol: The Chinese Good Luck Knot - means good luck.

Symbol: A Swastica (Nivens Tablet, The Four Forces of Fate) Wind

Symbol: The Five Good Fortunes Wealth, Health, Longevity, Love, and Virtue

Symbol: A Horsehoe

Symbol: Gibo Auja

"We make our Fortunes..." Quote is from Benjamin Disraeli.

"Fortune Favors The Bold" is from Virgil.

Letters intersperced within the design spell out PROSPERITY

I think you're thinking to hard on the origin of the symbol. I'm looking for the meaning of the symbol. Particularly what it "pictures". You can almost see it just in the shape :angry:

Hopi, Navajo, Niven all expressed 3 common elements. 4 Times/Seasons, 4 Directions and ...

:)

But Niven wasn't a people, he was a person who discovered the tablets. The people he referred to were unsubstantiated (if I read it right) he called the people Mu, from the lost Island of Mu. I think what your getting at however is four elements? Earth Aire, Fire & Water. The swastica could resemble a windmill meaning wind, but from one translation I found

NIVEN'S MEXICAN STONE TABLET No.1231

This symbolises the four great primary forces issuing directly from the central creator. Each force has an arrowhead showing activity from west to east indicating the circular motion which occurs throughout the universe. The four forces as manifest in our solar system are:

1. A propelling force from the Sun to carry the Earth along her orbit.

2. A repellant force from the Sun to prevent the Earth being pulled into the Sun.

3. An attractive force from the Sun to prevent the Earth from flying out of the Solar System.

4. A magnetic force from the Earth that has an affinity with forces 1 and 3.

This last force is different for each planet, and enables them to maintain their respective orbits around the Sun.

it would be closer to ether, the element of space. I guess the horseshoe could be Earth. but so could the rune. I'm officially confused. I think each symbol could easily represent more than one element, if that's what your going for.