A moving cache

I was out caching with our son yesterday, and he asks me:

"Has anyone ever made a moving cache, one that is in a different location every day?"

Since we've only been doing this for a week now, I had no idea what to tell him.

So, has anyone ever did this?

Thanks,

SRV4ev

I was out caching with our son yesterday, and he asks me:

"Has anyone ever made a moving cache, one that is in a different location every day?"

Since we've only been doing this for a week now, I had no idea what to tell him.

So, has anyone ever did this?

Thanks,

SRV4ev

Moving caches used to be published all the time. For a number of reasons, they are no longer allowed.

Moving caches are no longer allowed. There are some of them left. The moving caches are now TB's and coins.

Yes, a small number still exist. Example

I don't know when they were disallowed, but I'd say by the end '03 at the latest.

Editing to add, moving caches still exist on alternative geocaching websites, and I'm familiar with a few regional geocaching organizations who have their own moving caches tracked on their organization's websites.

Also, I just noticed the Weird N.J. Rolling Rock cache that I linked to is on a bookmark list of 15 moving caches.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Let's clarify what Jersepe says. No new moving caches can be published.

TB's and coins have replaced the spirit of the original moving caches by providing an ability to follow something around via a website function.

But there are still some of the original moving caches that have been allowed to remain in circulation.

I witnessed this one's reunion with its owner at Geowoodstock 6 last week.

Edited by wimseyguy

We have 2 in the Pikes Peak region that have survived (Front Range Moving Target and Pikes Peak Traveler). They cause some grief for cachers passing through the area or for people who don't read the descriptions, but I'd say these are some of the most popular caches in our area.

There's a lot of bookmark lists with traveling caches that are still in play. This is the most complete one that I know of: Traveling Caches by Hemlock

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#perm

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

I came across one of the moving type in Florida last year. It was in a 'static' cache (ammo can). First I thought it was just a bag of cra....er swag. But upon closer inspection there was a card saying something about it being a cache. I ignored it and threw it back in the ammo can and went on my way.

I don't know when they were disallowed, but I'd say by the end '03 at the latest.

Pretty good! The guideline against moving caches was added in the March 2003 Guidelines update.

There's a moving cache in my review territory right now. I always watchlist them until they move out, after an experience with a prior moving cache being placed in an off-limits park. In the past two weeks two people have DNF'd this moving cache due to being the second person to reach the spot. And a large crowd logged the moving cache at an event, as if they were discovering a cool trackable.

When I first read the title, not having heard of a moving cache, I thought it refered to a cache that is moved by the finders.

Has there ever been a cache where the finder moves it to a new site and posts the new location when they post the find. That might be kind of neat. It could even have a theme. It would have to be in a place where there are many oppurtunities, like a park, and the cache could move along the trail. It could be where the finder moves it under the closest palmetto 500 feet ahead. The same finder could not find it a certain number of times in a row, say 3.

It would be kind of fun cause you could sort of find a fresh cache on regular basis. Kids might find it fun.

or maybe not. :angry:

When I first read the title, not having heard of a moving cache, I thought it refered to a cache that is moved by the finders.

Has there ever been a cache where the finder moves it to a new site and posts the new location when they post the find. That might be kind of neat. It could even have a theme. It would have to be in a place where there are many oppurtunities, like a park, and the cache could move along the trail. It could be where the finder moves it under the closest palmetto 500 feet ahead. The same finder could not find it a certain number of times in a row, say 3.

It would be kind of fun cause you could sort of find a fresh cache on regular basis. Kids might find it fun.

Thats one type of a moving cache. They are no longer published on this site.

Also, I just noticed the Weird N.J. Rolling Rock cache that I linked to is on a bookmark list of 15 moving caches.

Weird N.J. Rolling Rock doesn't move anymore. (I think it was my fault... :rolleyes: ) But, dang, I found four of those 15! (Plus one in New Hampshire that is now archived.)

It's New Jersey for pete's sake! How many weird places can there be? (Sorry, you set yourself up for that). True though, I found it at the tomb of the 12 nuns in February 2004, and it doesn't move too much.

I would say that there are 'moving' caches out there and there are a series of 'FTF' caches, where the actual cache container moves after each find so that the next cacher is the FTF.. these caches are limited to a specific area, but you need to look to find the cache since it may be in a different location. I think these would count as a moving cache....

FTF Nerk Ahia

FTF Beta

FTF Savannah

FTF Sugarcreek

Edited by Lovey Pigs

Traveling Caches aren't disallowed, they're just not getting published. There really should be a difference there.

To Quote:

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published.

Less likely, but still able to get a publish!

The "most likely" provides wiggle room for exceptions like the Ohio examples cited above, where the cache "moves" up and down the railings on a 75 foot long bridge, etc.

I would not hold out hope that a moving cache would be published today if it's designed to jump from park to park, or even from one corner of a park to a different corner of the same park.

There is one in Savannah/Pooler, GA. Tommy's Trippin' in Tom Tripplett Park. It only moves within the park, doesn't come out to events or anything like that. The finder can move it or leave it, but regardless, the owner asks that ALL logs include the current coords to help eliminate confusion, even if you're just posting a note. Also, it's listed as a Mystery cache, not a Traditional to help head off people from going to the listed coords.

Link to Cache Page

Pretty sure there are some bookmark lists of active grandfathered Moving Caches. Here's one my search fu turned up:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=1a957e59-0482-4dd6-9f96-c864a578296f

Why have they discontinued them? I have spent a long time making a trackable ammo can. I can't find it any where that says " you can't make this a trackable geocache" in the guidelines. Am I missing something?

You could create a Moving Cache, but it would be a Travel Bug. Take an ammo can, load it up, attach a TB dog tag to it, and send it out. I've found a TB like this.

Why have they discontinued them? I have spent a long time making a trackable ammo can. I can't find it any where that says " you can't make this a trackable geocache" in the guidelines. Am I missing something?

Can't say why, except possibly the headache and manpower needed to try and keep "moving" caches from conflicting with other caches.

As for the guideline, it was quoted above but here's a link that should take you right to it:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#perm

They should just have a cache type for them. Like a virtual, but it doesn't show up on the map. Instead there would be a list like when you bookmark something. It would show up in the cache finds, but in order to find it, you must have the tracking number like a geocoin or travel bug. Anyone else thinks this is a good idea?

Thats one type of a moving cache. They are no longer published on this site.

Travelling caches are picked up by a finder who claims the find and then moves it to another location and posts the new coords on his find logs.

A popular travelling cache in Canada is Bernie's Travelling Cache http://coord.info/GC2179 . As I recall, the owner of Bernie would prefer that Bernie be hidden and that cachers go out and retrieve it, but he has reluctantly realized that everyone wants to see it and sign the log , so it gets most of its finds at events.

We first saw him at a special event in Fredericton NB in Dec 2009. He had been shipped to the event by another cacher.

Now here is our Bernie story

In April 2010 we took nearly 3 weeks to drive the 800 miles to Ottawa. We started with the big events in Fredericton where cacher Zor gave us Bernie at the Sunday brunch.

We cached the following week and our next stop was a big event the following weekend in Sherbrooke for 15000 finds for Opus Terra. I had let it be known in advance that we had Bernie so at the event it didn’t take long for people to start asking about Bernie. When someone made the big announcement, there was a line-up to sign. Over 30 cachers signed the log book. WE shouldn’t have been surprised with the interest. The previous day we had been surprised by two cachers at a cache while on our way to Sherbrooke. When they found out who we were, they asked to sign Bernie right away rather than wait for the event, and I had to dig Bernie out of the trunk of the car.

The next week we cached in the area and the next weekend we showed up in Quebec City for an event for Sunnygirls. Again cachers knew we were coming and lined up to sign. One cacher drove 2 hours from Montreal, signed the log, and stayed 15 minutes and drove immediately back to Montreal.

The next weekend we went to two events in Ottawa area. At the breakfast event, everyone knew we had Bernie and he was excitedly grabbed from my hands as I walked through the restaurant. That evening was the big OMAX event in Gatineau with at least 200 cachers in attendance. Bernie was again a big hit. We left it there with a local cacher.

PAul

We have one in our area that does very well. It's called Town and Country

The object is to move this traveling cache to any one of the 36 parks, preserves, reservations and/or sanctuaries listed in the book entitled: Walks & Rambles in Westchester and Fairfield Counties

The owner maintains it religiously. I found it in 2003 , and could have moved it quite a few times. I still can if I want to. It keeps coming around.

...Has there ever been a cache where the finder moves it to a new site and posts the new location when they post the find....

Some finders confuse normal caches for that. They pick it up, and move it to a new spot then post the new location in their logs. Keeps things interesting.

In the Paleozoic era of caching I placed a cache like that. It was a PITA. The moment you ask people to 1) move the cache and 2) Provide the new location they immediately have problems following instructions. There is are reason that vital body functions are autonomous.

I once thought it would be cool to have a cache attached to or hidden inside a moving object or vehicle that follows a fixed route and schedule. For instance, somewhere on a train car...

Then I realized it would involve all sorts of permissions, probably require paying a fee (ticket, etc.) just to find it and then there are the problems of car changes, uninformed maintenance/cleaning crews, and other hiccups that would take the cache out of commission permanently or for long periods of time. There's also the whole 'suspicious activity' factor.

Ah well...

Edited by J Grouchy
I once thought it would be cool to have a cache attached to or hidden inside a moving object or vehicle that follows a fixed route and schedule. For instance, somewhere on a train car...

There is this one on an auto ferry that crosses a 500 foot wide river. It was published in 2004 but I don't think something like that would get published today.

A guy in Southern England used to have a large geocache in the boot of his car, the car had a GPS which would periodically upload it's location to his own website; to find the cache you had to visit his website to find out where the car was and if you found the car you could text him and he would come and unlock the boot for you to sign the cache.

Sadly it was archived years ago and wouldn't be alowed anymore :-(