Testy people in Eastern Iowa

Jake_E_Cro

What's with all the people being so testy in eastern Iowa lately? I have been party to and have seen several instances of people being really defensive and/or really short with each other lately.

I myself received what appeared to be a hostile email on the day I posted my last cache. The author of this email was a little harsh, accused me of trying to puff myself up, and I still don't know why. The description I posted in my cache was strictly self deprecating. I was making fun of myself for hiding nothing but micros when my original purpose in geocaching was to get off my duff and get some exercise and to get out to new and interesting places rarely seen by others.

The next episode was a few days later when I tried to pay a compliment to some cachers because I saw their great methodical ways of attacking a cache. I was impressed by their methods: they used tools, they split the area up logically and did a great job of covering the area in a short amount of time. When I logged on the next day, there was an email with a defensive email asking what they had done to offend me. I explained to them that there was no offense taken nor implied in my message, I was just trying to pay them a compliment.

I even saw a posting the other day, when someone felt like they were pondscum because they saw a cacher froma distance who may or may not have heard them calling and did not come back to say "hello." Maybe the other fellow was busy, or didn't hear, or maybe he was feeling anti-social that day. No reason to take offense.

Could it be the divide between the numbers guys and those who like to traipse off into the woods for theclassic ammo can that is causing this problem of offense taking? If so, can't we just let it go, and say you hunt those and find enjoyment in it, and I will hunt these and find enjoyment in it. That way we can all enjoy it without angering everybody.

I don't know the details of what your talking about, but I guess its like anything, some people are easy going and some are not. Sometimes people get defensive about little things that mean nothing. I sometimes think people would be upset if you wrote in a log the park was muddy, or it was a hot day when searching, or logged a DNF :rolleyes:.

What's with all the people being so testy in eastern Iowa lately? I have been party to and have seen several instances of people being really defensive and/or really short with each other lately.

Since being downsized out of a job as a teacher, I may not be giving any more tests but I may be a bit testy if I don't find employment soon. Actually I myself don't know of more than one person in Iowa that I thought was out of line in his response to someone else.

I promise, you will not get any impolite e-mails from me. :P

Since being downsized out of a job as a teacher, I may not be giving any more tests but I may be a bit testy if I don't find employment soon. Actually I myself don't know of more than one person in Iowa that I thought was out of line in his response to someone else.

I promise, you will not get any impolite e-mails from me. :)

I can't believe the area schools aren't arguing over who gets you -- Good luck with the search. I know it can be harder once you have some experience under your belt--unless you're a "coach" too.

(It's just got a little better here in Indiana--Science is on the statewide mandatory testing list now, so the pressure is on to have good science teachers).

I generally don't cache more than maybe 10 miles east of the I-29 line, except for points south of Council Bluffs. I had a run-in with one cacher there that soured me on northwest Iowa... I'm well aware I'm overreacting, but there's no shortage of caches to find on the other side of the Nebraska-Iowa state line, so it doesn't hurt anyone.

I know a fair number of cachers in the CB area though, they seem like regular people. :rolleyes:

Edited: Oh - wait. You're talking about eastern Iowa. Never mind. Sorry!

Edited by Sioneva

Edited: Oh - wait. You're talking about eastern Iowa. Never mind. Sorry!

Hey now, plenty of friendly folks out this way. :huh:

I realized I was babbling! I've never been out to Eastern Iowa, so I can't pass judgement. Sorry about the nonsensical posting. :huh:

I just checked Jones county, except for the recent bad weather we're all in a pretty good mood.

Cache on!

Are you sure you checked all of us? :lol::rolleyes:

We have a 5th one now. He started about a month and a half ago. Seems like a really cool guy. I exchanged a couple of e-mails when he had some questions on one of my caches. But really nice fellow.

Sadly Jake I think I know who is "testy" and there is a lot of stuff leading up too it. I think it land's in more than just the eastern Iowa realm. In fact I know it does.

I'd say don't sweat it. If they are moody today maybe they will just get a better night's sleep and get up on the right side of the bed. B)

We have a 5th one now. He started about a month and a half ago. Seems like a really cool guy. I exchanged a couple of e-mails when he had some questions on one of my caches. But really nice fellow.

Until I got to the email part I thought you were hinting at the fact you just had your fifth kid! :lol: Seemed liked an odd way to announce it, but then again I've read your cache pages.

:rolleyes:

Edited by BlueDeuce

Until I got to the email part I thought you were hinting at the fact you just had your fifth kid! :) Seemed liked an odd way to announce it, but then again I've read your cache pages.

:)

Nope still just one and he's a handful. :huh: But he's one of the best bushwacker's I've seen in action.

I got some logs from a new local about a month ago. He lives right in town here. Very nice guy. So If my records are correct there 5 cachers (that's not counting family members) in Jones now. :D