Need Help with Traveling Cache/TB idea?

Nochipra

Hi all,

I wanted to get some opinions on my idea for a traveling cache/TB (not sure which it would be considered?). I have this very small lock n lock box that holds small tradable items that was given to us as a gift and I was thinking of making it into a traveling cache? I have a TB tag that I would attach to the log book inside the container along with some nice swag items which I would activate and then mail to a random recipient. That recipient would then treat it as a regular cache (writing in the log book and doing the usual trading, logging it to the TB number on gc.com) and then mail it to another random recipient. The size of cache is not very big and would fit in a #2 yellow evelope or one size down? I expect it would cost maybe $5 to $8 definitely under $10 within the U.S.

The questions I have are:

Should each person notify the person they are going to send it to, to make sure that they would be able to mail the package to someone else within say a week's time?

Should I have each recipient drop and retrieve the tb number in a cache near each person's home so the the TB gains mileage?

Would Groundspeak approve a cache like this and list it? (probably not?)

I came across this idea when I saw the thread about gas prices being so high and how people are cutting back on their caching because of it and I don't think the gas prices will go down too much so I thought this might be a descent idea. Any thoughts on it are appreciated. Thanks, Nora

The Cache Permanence section of the listing guidelines answers your question about listing this as a geocache. Geocaching.com has not published a traveling cache since spring of 2003. That language has been in the guidelines since then.

So, run with the travel bug idea. Make your travel bug cache small enough so that it can hop from ammo box to five-gallon bucket to pretzel jar. There's plenty of examples of this, including one of the very first bugs I found way back in the summer of 2002.

Thanks for the info. I'm still only interested in this being a "mailbox only tb" though? I just don't know if people would take the time to drop and retrieve the bug in a good size cache rather than any old cache like a micro? I would like to see mileage on it but not sure if it would work right? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.