Earth Cache Forum Section

genegene

I agree joranda, very busy.

I just sent him/her 2 files that might help people in the creation of earth caches. 1 is an official permission slip like form. think of it as a hard copy of the signature of the land owner/manager. The other is a small 2 page basic FAQ for them to have as well.

Now I am waiting to see if he/she/they like it the way its written. If any changes need to be made that's fine by me. Its just a rough draft anyways. If your interested in seeing it, send me an e-mail and I'll forward it to you.

But just seeing Geoaware's name as a moderator along with some others would be nice. It would make it feel real special even if Geoaware only stops by once and a while.

I just sent him/her 2 files that might help people in the creation of earth caches. 1 is an official permission slip like form. think of it as a hard copy of the signature of the land owner/manager. The other is a small 2 page basic FAQ for them to have as well.

Now I am waiting to see if he/she/they like it the way its written. If any changes need to be made that's fine by me. Its just a rough draft anyways. If your interested in seeing it, send me an e-mail and I'll forward it to you.

But just seeing Geoaware's name as a moderator along with some others would be nice. It would make it feel real special even if Geoaware only stops by once and a while.

Geoaware is also on holiday at the moment.

Anyone can feel free to contact me for help. I've been able to help people all over the country.

I am offering my help as well. While not a geologist and I have never claimed to be one, I have become very educated on what it takes to make a earth cache a active earth cache. I have helped several geocachers on setting up earth caches in the last few months, and I am proud to say each EC I have helped with was published :rolleyes: .

Geoaware is also on holiday at the moment.

Anyone can feel free to contact me for help. I've been able to help people all over the country.

Edited by Cav Scout

I'm always willing to answer questions about earthcaches, too. Like the others, I've had my hand in helping a lot of other people research and develop their earthcaches. I may just enjoy doing it a bit more because that's the nature of teachers :rolleyes:

I'm a high school science teacher with certification in Earth & Space science and a non-teaching minor in Geological Sciences (plus more hours that don't have a piece of paper attached to them just for fun). My point is that I like vugs, waterfalls, springs, sinkholes, table rocks, thunder eggs, etc-- and while I don't know everything about every kind of natural feature on the earth, I do enjoy learning new things myself and I do know how to help someone else figure it out and write it up.

I think almost anyone who has ever created an earthcache would be happy to help someone else.

I know G.S. is watching this forum topic (P.M.'s) so please post your thoughts on this so G.S. can make there final decision.

Even if you don't care please let them know here.

A.) like it

B.) don't like it

C.) don't care

genegene

Edited by genegene

I like the idea. When we created our EC I had a few questions that I needed to ask. It took me a while to search through all the forums with the right keywords to find the answers. Would have been really nice to have a section of the forum to start my search within.

Not to mention somewhere I could post a question and not worry that I would get only one or two responses before the topic moved to the next page of the General area.

-J

And, to get back on topic, I think an Earthcache Forum would be a good idea. I only own one Earthcache, but would enjoy discussions about Earthcaches. A friend who owns several Earthcaches, who doesn't participate in these Forums at all, would probably participate in discussions about Earthcaches.

I own 16 earthcaches and I would come to the gc.com fourm way more if there was a section devoted to them. I now tend to help newbies with EC devlopment all the time in my regional fourm.

So are we already done pushing for this spot? :D

I would hazard a guess that given the lack of response from TPTB that most who expressed an interest in a forum for earthcaching are done pushing.

Might I suggest an email campaign to influence Geoaware to excerpt some pressure on TPTB for a earthcache forum on GC.com. That might carry more weight than the requests of the members that have responded so far.

It's a shame that there isn't a forum already. This is the only kind of cache that we can't ask our reviewers about. Given the obvious interest by TPTB in earthcaches by allowing them in the first place and then spinning the reviewing of them off to Geoaware - it seems a forum would be a no brainer.

As I recall it didn't take very much interest to create Hiking and Backpacking forum, which to me is more of a stretch than an earthcache forum (not that I don't enjoy the hiking and backpacking forum - which I do).

For those that aren't aware (no pun intended, but I'll take it) of how to contact Geoaware you may do so via his profile.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

So are we already done pushing for this spot? :D

I would hazard a guess that given the lack of response from TPTB that most who expressed an interest in a forum for earthcaching are done pushing.

Might I suggest an email campaign to influence Geoaware to excerpt some pressure on TPTB for a earthcache forum on GC.com. That might carry more weight than the requests of the members that have responded so far.

It's a shame that there isn't a forum already. This is the only kind of cache that we can't ask our reviewers about. Given the obvious interest by TPTB in earthcaches by allowing them in the first place and then spinning the reviewing of them off to Geoaware - it seems a forum would be a no brainer.

As I recall it didn't take very much interest to create Hiking and Backpacking forum, which to me is more of a stretch than an earthcache forum (not that I don't enjoy the hiking and backpacking forum - which I do).

For those that aren't aware (no pun intended, but I'll take it) of how to contact Geoaware you may do so via his profile.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

It is also a shame how easy it is to add an additional topic section to a forum. A few clicks in admin mode, a title, and you're done.

I am with the OP on this one. I would be all over an EC forum.

I have kicked the idea of an EC forum around a bit in my own mind as of late.

I do think earthcaches belong where they are as geocaches and that is hardly about the numbers. I will drive 40 miles off route for any earthcache and that does not lend well to big numbers. I could care less about the numbers and would not even mind them being outright eliminated from the game. But I think that earthcaches are just different (and complex) enough to warrant their own area and I also don't like having to weed through so many unrelated topics to find relevant discussions.

So what can I do to help get this started?

- Rev Mike

Current threads about Earthcaches that could be moved to an Earthcache Forum, if there was one . . .

There are probably more. These are just the ones I saw on the first page of other Forums . . .

I bet an Earthcache Forum would generate a lot of interest. :D

I'm a new cacher so I'm still in the "find the 500+ finds within 20 miles of my house" mode but the few earthcaches I've done have been my favorites. Once I finish the caches in my area (a year or two) I'm sure I'll start specifically targeting earthcaches for my "long" trips and then just do traditional caches around them.

So...for now, frankly I could care less about an earthcache forum however I do support one (it boggles my mind why anyone wouldn't). I feel like I'm at work. Oh boy, today I have a 9 o'clock discussing the proposed change of handtowels used in the restrooms.

But more importantly, Kitfox mentioned it in a previous post and I posted it even earlier than that.

This frankly comes under the radar of just plain stupid. It takes like 30 secconds for a moderator to add a new forum. And why wouldn't they just do that and be done with it?

Maybe they don't realize that if it starts WWIII or the apocalypse they can just remove it with the same ease?

Of course they would have to take the time to write the following post on the general forum.

"Due to "Insert your favorite reason here (lack of use, the incredible amount of time, energy, monetary resources needed to run such a conterversial forum as earthcaches, etc.)" GS has decided to remove the earthcace forum."

When I first joined, I thought these forums were very poorly moderated but now I'm starting to change my mind. I bet the moderators aren't allowed to just open a new forum without permission. If that is true, it explains a lot and is not a good thing overall, in my opinion.

Edited by Morning Dew

There have been many posts to this thread that have advanced good and polite explanations of how an Earthcache forum would be beneficial. And then there's Morning Dew's post.

Do you think that belittling those with a different opinion, and calling Groundspeak "just plain stupid," is going to advance your cause? Good luck with that.

By the way, volunteer moderators do NOT have the ability to create, rename, move or delete a forum section. These are Groundspeak's forums.

So are we already done pushing for this spot? :ph34r:

Eh, keep pushing, why not. TPTB are probably still watching. I created a forum thread here suggesting that Mytopo.com topographic maps should replace topozone.com (which was bought out by trails.com, who wanted a $49.99/year subscription to view topo maps that were previously available on the internet for free). Not only did TPTB not answer that thread, no one did at all ;)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I created a forum thread here suggesting that Mytopo.com topographic maps should replace topozone.com (which was bought out by trails.com, who wanted a $49.99/year subscription to view topo maps that were previously available on the internet for free).

Aha, so it's your fault! That link for MyTopo.com is jarringly in between the links for the two different Google maps -- they used to be together, but now MyTopo has barged in between them. Yet another little thing that drives me crazy -- I'm glad I have someone to blame for it. :ph34r:

There have been many posts to this thread that have advanced good and polite explanations of how an Earthcache forum would be beneficial. And then there's Morning Dew's post.

Do you think that belittling those with a different opinion, and calling Groundspeak "just plain stupid," is going to advance your cause? Good luck with that.

By the way, volunteer moderators do NOT have the ability to create, rename, move or delete a forum section. These are Groundspeak's forums.

I apologize for any confusion my post might have caused. I'm not sure how well you read it, though. Please take the time to reread it.

This is not my "cause", as I said clearly in my post.

And most importantly, I in no way intentionally belittled anyone or any organization. I used the word "This" meaning the concept, idea or process. You quoted my writing out of context and then implied that I was writing about GS. I was not refering to GS. I just want to clear the record on that.

If I were refering to GS I would have used GS, they or them.

Finally, again, I apologize if you or anyone else took it the wrong way.

Edited by Morning Dew

I apologize for any confusion my post might have caused. I'm not sure how well you read it, though. Please take the time to reread it.

This is not my "cause", as I said clearly in my post.

And most importantly, I in no way intentionally belittled anyone or any organization. I used the word "This" meaning the concept, idea or process. You quoted my writing out of context and then implied that I was writing about GS. I was not refering to GS. I just want to clear the record on that.

If I were refering to GS I would have used GS, they or them.

Finally, again, I apologize if you or anyone else took it the wrong way.

I understood everything that you said. I didn't see anything bad. Maybe when the moderator first read it then responded without re-reading it and seeing that it wasn't negative. :blink:

I would not be surprised if GSP is talking about this in there circle of e-mails.

Do not be upset if it looks like nothing is happening, some times things take time to get the bugs out and the final details worked out.

Just keep those opinions coming in.

If you belong to a local group tell them to post here as well.

If you are looking for a way to discuss EarthCaches...you could join the EarthCache Friends group on facebook?

:laughing:

Ummm... But I am avoiding Facebook and all similar type places as much of my browsing is done using a company computer and they do not allow access to that site.

Can we have a forum section instead?

J

I created a forum thread here suggesting that Mytopo.com topographic maps should replace topozone.com (which was bought out by trails.com, who wanted a $49.99/year subscription to view topo maps that were previously available on the internet for free).

Aha, so it's your fault! That link for MyTopo.com is jarringly in between the links for the two different Google maps -- they used to be together, but now MyTopo has barged in between them. Yet another little thing that drives me crazy -- I'm glad I have someone to blame for it. :)

I almost didn't see this! Yep, I'm guilty. :laughing: