Builder Release 05/29/08

OpinioNate

Build 2.0.5129.5086

Instructions:

1. Uninstall the current builder by: Start-->All Programs-->Groundspeak-->Uninstall Wherigo Builder
  2. Install the new builder

The following fixes have been made for the current release:

New Features

• Commands can now be added to locations just like characters and items
  • Added an OnClick event for Items, Tasks and Characters. This allows the author to execute script based on the player clicking on these objects
  • Support for new Action, DriveTo. This will cause a save and close and an execute of turn-by-turn directions on devices that support this (not the ppc or the emulator)
  • Emulator: When only one object exists in the locations, you see, inventory or tasks, a click will go directly to the detail page for that object
  • New author script window to allow authors to edit the author scripting section of the lua file. Main Menu-->Tools-->Author Script

Bug Fixes

• Default buttons enabled for dialog boxes, escape key cancels, enter key presses ok
  • Closing a cartridge was not asking to save first
  • Closing a cartridge was not clearing the Author Scripts
  • Emulator: The cartridge list page was flipping same distance cartridges around. Now, when cartridges have the same distance, they will be sorted by ascending name

Please provide any feedback you have. Thanks!

Well, waited for this release, however will still be off this game as the bug which affects my cartridge is not fixed. I am calling

Show detail screen zone1

but it does not fire up. I just want to show a zone's detail screen to player while he is heading to it, but this does not work.

Sorry, still waiting for new new release.

Well, waited for this release, however will still be off this game as the bug which affects my cartridge is not fixed. I am calling

Show detail screen zone1

but it does not fire up. I just want to show a zone's detail screen to player while he is heading to it, but this does not work.

Sorry, still waiting for new new release.

And I still have the zonesEngine.dll problem.... :angry: .

Here are the logs when emulator hanged at startup:

System.DllNotFoundException: DLL-kirjastoa ZonesEngine.dll cannot load: Sovelluksen käynnistys epäonnistui, koska sen rinnakkaismääritys on virheellinen. More info in event log. (HRESULT-exception: 0x800736B1).

kohteessa Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.InitializeEngine(Byte[] szDeviceId, Byte[] szLogFolder)

kohteessa Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.InitializeEngine(String strDeviceId, String strLogFolder)

kohteessa Player.frmMain.InitEngine()

kohteessa Player.frmMain.Init()

kohteessa Player.frmMain..ctor()

kohteessa ZonesAuthor.frmMain.menuCartridgeEmulator_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.MenuItemData.Execute()

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Command.DispatchID(Int32 id)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded parts**************

mscorlib

version: 2.0.0.0

Win32-versio: 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)

Code: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

WherigoBuilder

Version: 2.0.5129.5086

Win32-versio: 2.0.5129.5086

Code: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/WherigoBuilder.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Kokoonpanon versio: 2.0.0.0

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Xml

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Windows.Forms.resources

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_fi_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

mscorlib.resources

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

ZonesFramework

Kokoonpanon versio: 1.0.2104.4260

Win32-versio: 1.0.2104.4260

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/ZonesFramework.DLL

Player

Kokoonpanon versio: 1.0.3071.23957

Win32-versio: 1.0.0.0

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/Player.DLL

GeoFramework.Gps

Kokoonpanon versio: 2.3.3600.13

Win32-versio: 2.3.3600.13

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/GeoFramework.Gps.DLL

GeoFramework

Kokoonpanon versio: 1.4.3600.3

Win32-versio: 1.4.3600.3

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/GeoFramework.DLL

Microsoft.WindowsCE.Forms

Win32-versio: 2.0.7045.00

Koodikanta: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/Microsoft.WindowsCE.Forms.DLL

Edited by vphakli

I have the same problem with ZonesEngine.dll. It will load on version 04/16 but anything later causes an exception.

This obviously is not backwards compatible, and I spent weeks on my cartridge. I'm not inclined to start over again.

What operating system do you have? XP or Vista? If it's xp, what service pack do you have installed?

David

I have the same problem with ZonesEngine.dll. It will load on version 04/16 but anything later causes an exception.

This obviously is not backwards compatible, and I spent weeks on my cartridge. I'm not inclined to start over again.

What operating system do you have? XP or Vista? If it's xp, what service pack do you have installed?

David

XP V 2.09 (Service Pack 2).

I will try it on my vista machine this evening too.

post-171164-1212188974.jpg

Edited by _canadianbacon_

David

XP V 2.09 (Service Pack 2).

I will try it on my vista machine this evening too.

There has been mentioned before that SP3 was a problem as well. I can't seem to duplicate this and I have only heard a few people that have the problem.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...zonesengine.dll

Also, make sure you've removed all previous versions of the builder if there are any. Check the control panel, remove programs and see if any older versions of the builder are installed. remove all of them via the control panel and the install the new release.

David

Edited by davidloew

I have done all that. Even remove Any registry settings. Removed/Installed all versions since 4/16 (none later than that work).

I just installed the latest version, did a wizard to create a test cartridge, and it would not even save it.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'ZonesEngine.dll': This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.InitializeEngine(Byte[] szDeviceId, Byte[] szLogFolder)

at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.InitializeEngine(String strDeviceId, String strLogFolder)

at ZonesAuthor.LuaFunctions.ReadLuaCartridge(String luaFileName)

at ZonesAuthor.wizards.MyFirstCart.frmFirstCart.CreateNewCartridge(String path)

at ZonesAuthor.wizards.MyFirstCart.frmFirstCart.btnDone_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

WherigoBuilder

Assembly Version: 2.0.5129.5086

Win32 Version: 2.0.5129.5086

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/WherigoBuilder.exe

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

ZonesFramework

Assembly Version: 1.0.2104.4260

Win32 Version: 1.0.2104.4260

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/ZonesFramework.DLL

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I did some testing with the latest builder release. I noticed that <Enter> for a newline is not working in a message box -> mb will close immediately. <CRTL><Enter> did work in the builder. I did not spend the time to test this behavior on my cartridge. But I hope it will work.

The latest builder is still frustrating. Umlauts (öäüéàè) are still not working!!! We had this problem 20-30 years ago. What’s wrong??? Texts without this chars are very hard to read. I really hoped that you would fix this with this release.

The latest builder is still frustrating. Umlauts (öäüéàè) are still not working!!! We had this problem 20-30 years ago. What’s wrong??? Texts without this chars are very hard to read. I really hoped that you would fix this with this release.

Yes, I have the same problem. I could not make any readable text without the complete alphabet: éÉèÈàÀêî...

I will hope for the next release and hope for this bug to be fixt.

David

I have Windows Vista Home Basic and that problem exists there. Builder

ZonesEngine.dll file date is 28.5.2008 10:44.

Build 2.0.5129.5086

Instructions:

1. Uninstall the current builder by: Start-->All Programs-->Groundspeak-->Uninstall Wherigo Builder
  2. Install the new builder

The following fixes have been made for the current release:

(...)

Please provide any feedback you have. Thanks!

Hi,

I did follow the instructions. When adding a media file I got this exception:

System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.

bei ZonesAuthor.frmMain.btnAddObject_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I had a couple of similiar crashes in the version before, always when adding things. System is Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Thanks for help.

I did some testing with the latest builder release. I noticed that <Enter> for a newline is not working in a message box -> mb will close immediately. <CRTL><Enter> did work in the builder. I did not spend the time to test this behavior on my cartridge. But I hope it will work.

Using <ctrl><enter> appears to work, at least so far in the emulator. Is this the intended method for adding <newlines> to a MessageBox or are <newlines> no longer intended to be supported by the Player within a MessageBox?

I'm going to guess it was an unintended side effect of another change. We'd asked that escape cancel a dialog and enter accept it, like most Windows dialogs behave. It sounds like a corner case got missed, namely that enter, if a text box is the active widget, should just produce a newline rather than confirming the dialog.

I've just downloaded and installed the current builder and I am getting the ZoneEngine.dll error

I can't even build the simple cartridge using the wizard. All previous versions of the builder have worked fine on this PC (XP Pro SP2)

Any ideas?

Yes I did uninstall the previous version first :o

I've just downloaded and installed the current builder and I am getting the ZoneEngine.dll error

Since DLL's fail to load when the DLL's it depends on fail to load, that could be the cause of the error.

Can you check if the following DLL's do exist on your system and are registerd correctly?

MSVCR80.DLL

MSVCRT.DLL

(MSVCRT.DLL is standard included on XP systems, MSVCR80.DLL is NOT standaard installed, and should be included in the setup of the builder)

Since DLL's fail to load when the DLL's it depends on fail to load, that could be the cause of the error.

Can you check if the following DLL's do exist on your system and are registerd correctly?

MSVCR80.DLL

MSVCRT.DLL

(MSVCRT.DLL is standard included on XP systems, MSVCR80.DLL is NOT standaard installed, and should be included in the setup of the builder)

After installing the redistributable Visual C++ Sp1 runtime from the microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results...;DisplayLang=en choose the second from the list, Visual C++ 2005, Sp1, x86) the problem with ZonesEngine.dll was solved.

It seems the builder installer does not instal the runtime correctly; so the builder will only run if you happen to have installed another program that uses this package.

Hi,

I did follow the instructions. When adding a media file I got this exception:

System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.

bei ZonesAuthor.frmMain.btnAddObject_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I had a couple of similiar crashes in the version before, always when adding things. System is Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Thanks for help.

Same problem for me. Anybody a suggestion ?

MSVCR80.DLL

MSVCRT.DLL

After installing the redistributable Visual C++ Sp1 runtime from the microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results...;DisplayLang=en choose the second from the list, Visual C++ 2005, Sp1, x86) the problem with ZonesEngine.dll was solved.

It seems the builder installer does not instal the runtime correctly; so the builder will only run if you happen to have installed another program that uses this package.

Great! Now I can use the latest Builder version! Really good info for me, thanks!

I can't make a new cartrige!!!!!! what is going on? help?

************** Exception Text **************

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Collections.ArrayList ZonesFramework.Zone.get_ZCommands()'.

at ZonesAuthor.usercontrols.uBaseAttributes.LoadEventTemplateList(ZObject zObject)

at ZonesAuthor.usercontrols.uBaseAttributes.BuildEventList()

at ZonesAuthor.usercontrols.uBaseAttributes.BindControls()

at ZonesAuthor.usercontrols.uBaseAttributes.SetZObject(ZObject zObject)

at ZonesAuthor.ZObjects.frmCartridge.BindData()

at ZonesAuthor.ZObjects.frmCartridge..ctor(ZObject zObject)

at ZonesAuthor.frmMain.menuNew_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.MenuItemData.Execute()

at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Forms.Command.DispatchID(Int32 id)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

WherigoBuilder

Assembly Version: 2.0.5129.5086

Win32 Version: 2.0.5129.5086

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/WherigoBuilder.exe

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

ZonesFramework

Assembly Version: 1.0.2104.4260

Win32 Version: 1.0.2104.4260

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/ZonesFramework.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hello,

I've installed the builder

Wherigo Builder - Beta

I am from Germany and my OS is a Windows XP with SP 3 installed. .NET Framework is 3.5

The problem is that I can't create a zone with the 'create from map'-option. If I want to use this option I always get an error (Caption: 'No Data', ErrMsg: 'No Data Exists for the choosen Theme, try another theme'). Everytime I change the theme and/or the scale I get the same error.

So how can I get a map?

see you ...

muhQ

Its been over a year since the last update!

And so far none of the issues has been addressed!

Will you release an update soon?

At least to resolve de ISO characters (éÉèÈàÀêî ...) problems. This problem make the builder unusable for language other than english!

Yes, I have the same problem. I could not make any readable text without the complete alphabet: éÉèÈàÀêî...

My alternative builder "Earwigo" (please someone think of a better name...) support "most" accented characters. The only issue is that the Colorado/Oregon use "8-bit ASCII" rather than UTF-8 as used on the PocketPC, but you can get most Western European accents on both of those.

My alternative builder "Earwigo" (please someone think of a better name...) support "most" accented characters. The only issue is that the Colorado/Oregon use "8-bit ASCII" rather than UTF-8 as used on the PocketPC, but you can get most Western European accents on both of those.

I Have googled "Earwigo" and i could not find anything!

Do you know where to find that application?

Is this completely dead and there is no hope of getting new builder out?

See Jeremy's post here. As far as I know that's still operative (although "May" was missed; things sometimes move quite slowly in Frogworld). If you want to test Earwigo, please send me a mail (not a forum PM) via my profile.

Edited by sTeamTraen
Should I wait for a new Wherigo release to come out (a year old) or wait for Earwigo to come out build a cartridge?

Earwigo, which has until now required you to build your cartridges from scratch, is now very close to being able to read cartridges produced by the Groundspeak builder. Certainly I would expect this functionality to be available by the time Earwigo is available for public usage with Groundspeak hosting.

The work on the builder was mostly by one person over the years at Groundspeak. Grounspeak's focus on geocaching is both due to its primary business and paying the bills. I don't know if that person is still with the company or has been assigned other work. The last I heard, they were still trying to figure out where to take Wherigo from where they have it (I made a post about it some time back). There was talk of making it open source, but all that has been put on the back burner until Groundspeak turns its attention back to Wherigo. I haven't thought about this yet, but I wonder if the Waymarking crowd has any such problems or concerns?

(As for me, I've been focused too much on geocaching as of late, trying to log eight hundred some-odd caches I found around New Year's. When I finish, I will also put more time into a side project I have for Wherigo--if I can get the development environment set up.)

Edited by Ranger Fox

The work on the builder was mostly by one person over the years at Groundspeak. Grounspeak's focus on geocaching is both due to its primary business and paying the bills. I don't know if that person is still with the company or has been assigned other work. The last I heard, they were still trying to figure out where to take Wherigo from where they have it (I made a post about it some time back). There was talk of making it open source, but all that has been put on the back burner until Groundspeak turns its attention back to Wherigo. I haven't thought about this yet, but I wonder if the Waymarking crowd has any such problems or concerns?

(As for me, I've been focused too much on geocaching as of late, trying to log eight hundred some-odd caches I found around New Year's. When I finish, I will also put more time into a side project I have for Wherigo--if I can get the development environment set up.)

To me it still seems odd that Garmin releases so many gps unit with Wherigo capabilities and Groundspeak does so little to give the users a useable builder. <_<

I hope your work "bears fruit" as we say here in Denmark. :D

To me it still seems odd that Garmin releases so many gps unit with Wherigo capabilities and Groundspeak does so little to give the users a useable builder. :lostsignal:

yeah. um, about those Garmin units ... how to put this...

Let's just say that the Garmin players have bugs. As in, lots of bugs. Huge man-eating swarms. The "more technically advanced" Oregon contains the least stable Wherigo player known to contemporary science. The older Colorado is otoh still the pinnacle of stability and reliability, but still there are problems that were solved in the PPC player years ago. Garmin apparently never got around to including the changes.

so it's not like they've done their homework either

yeah. um, about those Garmin units ... how to put this...

Let's just say that the Garmin players have bugs. As in, lots of bugs. Huge man-eating swarms. The "more technically advanced" Oregon contains the least stable Wherigo player known to contemporary science. The older Colorado is otoh still the pinnacle of stability and reliability, but still there are problems that were solved in the PPC player years ago. Garmin apparently never got around to including the changes.

so it's not like they've done their homework either

Kudos points for your working, matejcik.

It's my understanding from talking with Groundspeak that they provided the Engine and documentation to Garmin and Garmin didn't bother testing everything right. The Player implementation gets worse with every GPSr Garmin releases. To their defense, I wonder if they're just verifying their implementation against the demo cartridge. They must think everything else would work if the demo does.

It's my understanding from talking with Groundspeak that they provided the Engine and documentation to Garmin and Garmin didn't bother testing everything right.

Quite how they managed to make a non-UTF8 version of the player and use 8859-1 instead, when the Colorado's base software can handle UTF8 just fine (as demonstrated by the availability of the menus in Czech and Russian), I can't imagine. I'm assuming that it was sub-contracted, perhaps more than one level.

Watching billion-dollar companies release products that just don't work can be pretty amusing, if you haven't made too much of a commitment of resources. In the last 25 years I can remember examples of - sometimes very expensive - hardware from Digital, EMC, and Compaq, which should never have been sold, and generally ended up with the customer - in two cases, me - being substantially compensated to keep quiet.

Edited by sTeamTraen