In your front yard caches

I've started noticing cachers placing caches in their (literal) front yard, often as "TB hotels" or for XL-sized swag and trackables. Some of these have been in place for a while and there seem to be new ones popping up from time to time.

For those of you that are currently nestling your cache between the plastic flamingoes and the garden gnomes: what sort of horrible stories can you tell me? What is the dark side of placing a cache so very close to where you sleep at night? What has gone wrong?

For those of you that have searched for (and found or not) caches on the manicured turf of your fellow cachers: what sort of mishaps have you encountered? Nosey neighbor call the cops? Sprayed by sprinklers? Bitten by dogs?

I'm sure there are plenty of happy stories about these kinds of caches, but I'm looking for the range of possible problems and worst-case scenarios. ...and maybe a good story too.

I personally have not done any "front yard" caches, but I would feel awkward about looking for a cache on someone else's front or back lawn simply because I would feel like I'm being watched by whoever is in the house or in neighboring houses.

Second, I would never place a cache so close to my house or anyone else's because I do not want random people there all hours of the day or night. I know the geocaching community is relatively friendly, but there is always the possibility of bad seeds running amok. :anibad:

At the risk of sounding paranoid, I think Placing a cache in a location where someone may be tempted to look in the windows or check out the storage shed in the back would put me on edge. I know most people avoid temptations that cause them to commit crime, but there are a few who may decide to see if the window is unlocked to look for other "treasures." Wherever there is temptation, there is always a risk something may get stolen or burglarized, it just isn't a risk I would be willing to take.

I would be concerned that the cacher may get the coordinates wrong, or have enough bounce that they'd be accidentally snooping through your neighbor's property instead of yours (unless you have major acreage).

Off the top of my head, the three I've seen recently gave info on the cache page along the lines of "it's not in the flower bed" and the other two had pictures pointing you right to it. I think one has the address in the description if not all of them. That is something that you would want to have covered as the hider.

My first front yard cache was a DNF and since then I've tried to avoid them. I arrived at the cache location knowing that the cache was in a yard. It wasn't obvious which of the two yards the cache was in. So I looked for some indication that a geocacher lived in one of the two house. One of the houses had a nice flower bed out front with a bunch of those garden gnomes and statues of woodland creatures in it. A great place to hide a cache but there was no indication that a geocacher lived there. The other yard had a couple of junked cars sitting in the front yard. Another possible, all tho less desirable, geocache hiding location. I ran in to the same problem here. There was no indication what so ever that a geocacher lived there.

Another one was a multistage cache where one of the stages is in a front yard. The GPS lead me to a fence dividing two yards with bushes on each side of the fence and driveways next to the bushes. Again there was no indication which yard. Another DNF.

If you have a front yard geocache and you live on city lot or place the cache near the edge of your property how hard is it to print out the geocaching logo and place it in a window of your house. That way I can be sure it is your garden gnomes that I am violating or it is your rusted old cars that made me update my tetanus shot. I'd also like to be sure that it is you who is coming out of your house to greet me and not your neighbor coming to accuse me of stepping on and killing his award winning azaleas. I honestly don't recall stepping on any bushes. It must have been another geocacher.

In order to discourage front yard caches, we are about to release a travel bug whose mission is to ONLY travel to front yard caches or be traded at events. It's a pair of tacky plastic flamingos (with an invitation to add to the flock). You wouldn't want to wake up with a flock of plastic flamingos on your lawn, would you?

Before I get hate mail, I should explain that we had a BACKyard cache and it's now archived. The road dead-ended in our back yard and that is where we placed a gimmicky cache - a huge log (fallen tree) that you signed with a sharpie marker. It was very well received by the cachers who found it, but many would not look for it because of all the reasons already mentioned by others in this thread.

On a positive note, we met many people from all over the country! If you do decide to place the cache in your yard, make it painfully obvious and maybe even silly. Be prepared for visitors at any time! Look at caches like "Big Boy" by Team Desert Eagle in Jenison, Michigan. That was a perfectly executed front yard cache. Good Luck!

Big Boy cache page

Edited by Team LaLonde

Though I'm typically averse to highly-visible areas of any sort, I have to say I had no trouble at either of the two front yard caches I've done. One was sitting obviously on the person's front porch. The second was the last stage of a fairly complex multi, so only determined people would ever get to the person's house. I actually thought I was in the wrong place the first time, but then someone tipped me to look again at the cache's name, which was a giveaway. This time, I noticed all the caching stickers on the cars parked in front. I had a great long talk with the cacher there. No regrets.

I just heard about a front yard cache someone is working on that would be a terrible, TERRIBLE shame to miss (it's also set to be the end of a multi).

In order to discourage front yard caches, we are about to release a travel bug whose mission is to ONLY travel to front yard caches or be traded at events. It's a pair of tacky plastic flamingos (with an invitation to add to the flock). You wouldn't want to wake up with a flock of plastic flamingos on your lawn, would you?

Before I get hate mail, I should explain that we had a BACKyard cache and it's now archived. The road dead-ended in our back yard and that is where we placed a gimmicky cache - a huge log (fallen tree) that you signed with a sharpie marker. It was very well received by the cachers who found it, but many would not look for it because of all the reasons already mentioned by others in this thread.

On a positive note, we met many people from all over the country! If you do decide to place the cache in your yard, make it painfully obvious and maybe even silly. Be prepared for visitors at any time! Look at caches like "Big Boy" by Team Desert Eagle in Jenison, Michigan. That was a perfectly executed front yard cache. Good Luck!

Big Boy cache page

In my opinion this one is the best front yard cache I've seen yet.The other blantantly obvious one by SEWdaugh in this thread is a close second. :unsure:

That to me is the key with a front yard cache.Blantly obvious so there's NO confusion/shotguns out windows and so forth.

I have a tendency to do a lot of caching late at night. When I run across a front yard cache, and all the lights are out, I have fun by intentionally tripping over things and generally making a bunch of noise. I'll also bring out my BFL (Big Freaking Light) and "accidentally" shine it in all the windows of every house within 500 feet. :blink:

I often find these caches have been archived by the time I get around to logging them. :unsure:

Did one of them a couple of weeks ago. Never again. Yes, it's nice to say "This cache is hidden on private property, but you do not need to leave the street to find it, and you do not need to worry about poking around in someone's yard as the cache owner lives here and welcomes fellow cachers.", but the coords put us 42 feet away, in someone else's front lawn. So, we did poke around in someone else's front lawn first. Not a ood idea, unless you have large arcreage. Or a geocaching logo near the cache (though even then, it may take a while to see it.)

We have one named Junk In The Trunk (GC14JHF) and haven't had too many issues with it. The only nearby neighbor asked about it and it was explained to him to which he responded, "I thought that's what it was." His yard is a full .1 mile away and the same with other surrounding neighbors so even with a bad bounce given the open area there should be no issues. If the person reads or looks at the page they will see enough description and images to place them where they need to be. It's also hour restricted so if someone reads the descriptions they have enough sense to know when and when they cannot do it. Thus far kids seem to love it because we stock it well and regularly. We don't use it as a tb hotel but it is large enough to handle most oversized tb's that might come along. To my knowledge we've only seen one cacher drive up, turn around, and leave. It's a pity because if they actually gave it a shot they wouldn't have been left disappointed.

Thus far the only issues with the cache itself include people taking the huge pencil we have to sign the big log book, not closing the aptly large ziplock bags, and worse yet not closing the 'lock and lock' portion of the lid they have to open in order to take off the lid. (Regular cache issues that happen everywhere) Then you have the regular trade a quarter for a big swag item or worse yet a paper clip. We do encourage photo's but nothing yet.

Edited by Sileny Jizda

Did one of them a couple of weeks ago. Never again. Yes, it's nice to say "This cache is hidden on private property, but you do not need to leave the street to find it, and you do not need to worry about poking around in someone's yard as the cache owner lives here and welcomes fellow cachers.", but the coords put us 42 feet away, in someone else's front lawn. So, we did poke around in someone else's front lawn first. Not a ood idea, unless you have large arcreage. Or a geocaching logo near the cache (though even then, it may take a while to see it.)

I'm generally a hike in the woods for ammo boxes type of guy, but I've actually done several caches in yards, but only in rural or semi-rural areas. For example, there's a driveway micro in my own suburban town, which I plonked on the ignore list from day one.

The last one I found (around last XMAS), I had a similar experience that the Dolphin had. Coords were off, and me and my partner actually looked in the wrong yard across the rural road for a while. Fortunately, we didn't get accosted. :unsure:

But the last finder before me on this cache, who I believe was 13 years old at the time, was accosted by the tenant of the cache owner, who apparently was never told about the cache. You better believe I emailed the cache owner a few days out before stopping at that one. :blink:

No horror stories here!

I have found a dozen or so and have had either a regular cache or a TB Hotel on my front porch for years.

My latest one, Irondale Pit Stop GC14B0Z, has been active since July 2007 with no complaints and lots of compliments.

I hear cachers opening it (lots of folks re-visit it that don't log each visit) at all hours of the day or night. It's a 28" tall ammo can that contains both swag and TBs, so there's no missing the sound of it being opened.

I let the cacher decide if they want to meet me and rarely open the door unless they call or knock. About 75% do, and I have had a chance to visit with old friends and meet new ones while they go through the cache.

One thing I have noticed - when the cache owner is there watching folks don't trade used Sharpies for geocoins!

Fortunately I am friends with all of my neighbors as well as with the local police, so they know about it and don't care.

By offering free wi-fi access to the local cops and firefighters so that there is often a police car parked in the alley behind my house I don't have to worry too much about prowlers!

I did have one funny experience... got a call from a cacher friend who said "Me and the kids have searched your porch for 15 minutes, is it behind the white cabinet?"

When I could stop laughing I told her the cabinet is on my neighbor's porch!

Other than that there have been no incidents, just lots of fun.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

There's one in Penticton, BC where a caching couple hollowed out a spot in their fence and rigged up the board so it moves. Got the FTF on that one at 9:45pm and ran into another cacher on the way. I'm not really a huge fan of residential caches. There's one here in Kelowna, BC where it's smack in the middle of a residential street and it's just a junction box screwed to a telephone pole. Not an impressive cache at all. That and it's not in the best area of the city.

No horror stories here!

I did have one funny experience... got a call from a cacher friend who said "Me and the kids have searched your porch for 15 minutes, is it behind the white cabinet?"

That sounds like a horror story to me. The could easily have been arrested. How do you think your neighbor would feel about that? I'm glad i don't live next door to you if you have that little respect for them.

This is precisely why 'front yard' caches should be against the guidelines. They are just a bad idea, period.

I was just starting a marathon day of caching a few summers ago when I drove up to a travel bug hotel at a geocacher's house about 100 miles north of my home. I had some bugs that wanted to move that way, and there were a few in the cache's inventory that wanted to move back south. I rolled up to the row of townhouses at about 7:30 a.m., dressed in full geocaching gear for a day of hiking.... a vest, tactical belt and all sorts of gadgets hanging off me everywhere.

The cache was right next to the front door of the owner's townhouse. There was no porch to speak of, just a small concrete pad in front of the door. I got down on my knees and spread the cache contents all over the pad so that I could spot the bugs I wanted to trade. It was at that moment that the door flew open and the cache owner emerged, rushing out because she was late for work. I am not sure who jumped higher and who screamed louder.

They are uncomfortable for cachers to do,

For SOME cachers....well even MANY cachers. But not all.

Some people, like me, would be uncomfortable with skydiving. So I don't do it.

There is a local one here that you can do without leaving the sidewalk. Also, in the description, the owner explained that the neighbors know. Of course I didn't find it right away, and actually looked in the wrong area of the yard. Got to talk to the owner....it was pretty comical.

Other home caches have the house number or other obvious clue in the hint. Of course, I don't think I'd want one in my front yard....but, for the most part, I don't mind looking for them in others' yards (especially since most of them I've seen are TB hotels....always a good incentive).

Now, if the coords take me to a place where it can be in one of two possible yards....I usually drive on.

I have always been uncomfortable with front yard caches due to the "risks" that can be involved. I have done a couple in MI before moving to DE and they were well done...but I did them in broad daylight with company and the CO knew we were coming.

I now live in the country and have a backyard cache (on 11 acres placed by another cacher who lives here) and it seems to be well received even though it is only about .1 from the buildings. And the description states how far they should have to venture onto the property to find the cache. HOWEVER...there are really no close neighbors. And oddly...to date I have never seen one of the many cachers that have shown up.

Point is...I can see it from both sides of the fence...if it is in a residential neighborhood it is wise to either a) make if VERY clear where it is or :unsure: let ALL your neighbors know. If it is out in the middle of no where, you know the place...even Domino's doesnt deliver...then it should be ok as long as everyone on the property is aware.

No horror stories here!

That sounds like a horror story to me. The could easily have been arrested. How do you think your neighbor would feel about that? I'm glad i don't live next door to you if you have that little respect for them.

This is precisely why 'front yard' caches should be against the guidelines. They are just a bad idea, period.

You are totally uninformed and off base. As I mentioned, I am friends with my neighbors, they thought it was funny. This particular neighbor is the Baptist preacher at my kids church.

When I BBQ in the back yard my neighbors often wander over to visit and maybe eat.

The city cops are every one of them friends or at least acquaintances, including the Chief and Mayor.

If that's not your experience with your neighborhood I recommend that you try it!

And if it's not then caches on your property may indeed be a bad idea for you... but that doesn't make them bad across the board.

If you bother to read the cache page it could not make it any more clear where the cache is - I give coordinates, my address, my phone number, invite them to call me if they are uncomfortable and tell them it is on the porch right below my house number, and that you can see it from the street.

Most of the yard caches that I have done have similar levels of contact info... the point of having it in your yard is to meet people.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I would always pass on a front yard cache. Like everyone said, just too many things can happen...wrong house, etc etc.

Now, this cache was an exception, and was very enjoyable. No worries about permission, very easy to tell if you're in the right place, and so on.

A nice tribute. Very interesting and touching.

GCQH5F - One in memory of Leo Leblanc

Have a quick look through the pictures in the logs also.

<><

Edited by gcfishguy

have found quite a few yard caches. still feel awkward on someone's property-even if I know them. the only cache I hid on my property was temp caches for a nearby event. I have too many perm. caches around that the 500ft rule wouldn't allow me a cache at my house. I really don't want one there anyway-nothing historic or neat about my house!! just a cat or two that'll stare at ya.

Hey Castle Mischief:

Thank you for opening this thread. I'll be launching my own front yard cache this weekend, and have been reviewing everybody's comments to see how they feel on this subject. The one I'm planning, will be right off the street, so people won't have to prowl around, but I'm surprised at how many have voiced their opinions about feeling creepy walking onto someone else's property. I've only looked for one cache so far myself and it was very much out in public, so I didn't have to worry about neighbor's eyes upon me. Because of your question to the community and their responses though, I've gotten a whole different perspective on this issue. When I post mine, I'm going to point out that it is on private property and might mark the cache with the Groundspeak logo to make cachers feel a little more at ease, so they can enjoy the game, rather than feeling like they are somehow intruding.

I've only done one front yard cache and don't think I would do any more.

You do feel weird and my concern is some neighbor would call the police. Even if the cache is say sitting on the front porch and your neighbors know you aren't home and someone is on your front porch or in your front yard going through a container that could be a good reason to call the cops.

I've only done one front yard cache and don't think I would do any more.

You do feel weird and my concern is some neighbor would call the police. Even if the cache is say sitting on the front porch and your neighbors know you aren't home and someone is on your front porch or in your front yard going through a container that could be a good reason to call the cops.

Live a clean life and you don't have to fear the cops. I get checked out all the time while caching, no big deal, I am glad to see them on the job!

We have a cache at our home (GC18TKV) and it has been a great addition.

We have met many great people during the time it has been active, even one who was visiting from Australia! Most have been really challenged by the hide and it's fun to sit there and watch them hunt it, getting perilously close yet missing it. Most eventually find it, and no one has really expressed concern too much.

I made it a point to put a Geocaching sticker on the front door window to let people know they are at the right house.

I've always liked the idea of having a cache on my property. I don't think there would be any issues with cachers feeling like they were in the wrong spot or that they were being watched, as we are far enough away from neighbours. I've always been intrigued with the idea of being able to do a fun big container without non-cachers being a problem. It would really be cool to take people into our back yard, where we have a creek running through the property.

I've never done it, though, because I don't want to post my coordinates on the internet.

I've done quite a few caches in people's yards, and they've always been fun for me. I like caches in people's yards, because they tend to be in fun places, or in unique containers. I like the idea of meeting the cache owner while searching, but I think I've only done that twice (both with friends who knew we were coming).

I think a lot of it has to do with personality. If you're the type that is outgoing and doesn't mind meeting strangers, it can be easier than if you just want to go your caching way without feeling that people are watching and wondering what you are doing.

For those of you that have searched for (and found or not) caches on the manicured turf of your fellow cachers: what sort of mishaps have you encountered? Nosey neighbor call the cops? Sprayed by sprinklers? Bitten by dogs?

I've only encountered one, myself... and once I realized the cache had to be in someone's front yard and there was no way for me to reach it from the crb, I declined to log it.

Though in hindsight, I've probably logged a few that were, technically, on gas station property or similar... though that seems a little less foreboding to go onto "private" commercial property than in to someone's front yard, IMO.

I have a front yard cache. Lately been thinkin about moving it since everyone goes to the neighbors rock flower bed. M neighbors are very good about it. They do not mind at all.They are an older couple and have enjoyed watching cachers look for my cache. The title of this one should tell you what side of the road it is on, but most dont get it....lol

The other reason why I was thinking of moving it was because I wanted put out a bigger container that can hold some pretty big stuff.

After reading some of these stories here, I have decided to move the container. Not in a bad way though, but to expand it. May make it a multi or a puzzle just to make it interesting.

My Front yard cache

A fellow cacher was helping me do some work on my Jeep one day and he had a cache hidden in a bush just off his driveway. When we were done with the Jeep he told me to be sure and go find it, so I did, but there was no log in it.

He'd brought the cache in the previous day to re-stock it and forgot to put the log back, and it was sitting on his work bench. I'd been looking at it all day and recognized it as a log sheet, but assumed it was from an old cache of his. So he handed it to me, I signed it, and put it back in his cache for him.

I've found other caches near houses where I didn't know the owner, and have never felt uncomfortable. I figure that if the owner doesn't mind people poking around their property, I don't mind finding the cache. If they want to watch me from their window that's okay too, it's no different that finding a cache with a friend that's already found it and he sits back and watches you look.

For those of you that are currently nestling your cache between the plastic flamingoes and the garden gnomes: what sort of horrible stories can you tell me? What is the dark side of placing a cache so very close to where you sleep at night? What has gone wrong?

We don't have a garden gnome, they give computers bad mojo.

We've had a cache in our yard since 2002, many finds and a lot of good conversations with cachers. I'd say the only downside is that we have had a few people put in the wrong coordinates and wind up in our neighbors yard. Now we have lots of geo stickers and such around the house to make it clear which house is ours.

If I was to do it all over again I might not put one out now. But that doesn't mean that I'm tempted to archive the one we have. It does make it really easy to tell other cachers how to find our house if we are meeting there for some reason. I just give them the GC# of the cache.

I had seen a cache, at one point, that was basically a giant ammo can in someone's front yard... one of those where there was no mistaking what it was, and large enough that it could house bicycles, children, etc. Unfortunately I've not been able to locate it, since. I think that's pretty much a "defining" front yard cache... at least there's very little danger of someone wandering in to the wrong yard. *laugh*

It was kind of in the same vain as this one:

0ca57fd4-1780-4692-a137-8c0390db1b74.jpg

(keep in-mind the pole in the foreground is three or four feet high, itself)

I've found other caches near houses where I didn't know the owner, and have never felt uncomfortable. I figure that if the owner doesn't mind people poking around their property, I don't mind finding the cache. If they want to watch me from their window that's okay too, it's no different that finding a cache with a friend that's already found it and he sits back and watches you look.

Interesting perspective... I guess I've always just been one of those more "paranoid" folks, figuring that maybe someone's an unwilling participant in said cache... or, well... at least one of the other neighbors is kind of curious about why people are suspiciously snooping around someone else's property and then decides to involve the authorities.

At the same time, I've often though about putting a cache very close to one of our residences, possibly on the property... and we have a couple of stumps just prime for the obvious hide. Though, as someone else had already mentioned... there's also the creepy "stalker-like folk" that have worried us, too. Certainly would be optimum for cache maintenance, though... *laugh*

I had seen a cache, at one point, that was basically a giant ammo can in someone's front yard... one of those where there was no mistaking what it was, and large enough that it could house bicycles, children, etc. Unfortunately I've not been able to locate it, since. I think that's pretty much a "defining" front yard cache... at least there's very little danger of someone wandering in to the wrong yard. *laugh*

That's a cool rock covering. What sort of material is it made out of, do you know?

The giant ammo can that you're talking about may have been Big Boy, which is unfortunately archived. :rolleyes: Pretty cool cache. They've put out another in the same spot, but so far no pictures, so I don't know what sort of container they have this time. :wub:

That's a cool rock covering. What sort of material is it made out of, do you know?

I seem to remember it being stucco'd or something a bit lighter than that... I seem to remember it being chicken wire'd over the top of a plywood frame or similar, but I might just be delusional here (it's been a while since I've claimed that cache, admittedly).

The giant ammo can that you're talking about may have been Big Boy, which is unfortunately archived. :rolleyes: Pretty cool cache. They've put out another in the same spot, but so far no pictures, so I don't know what sort of container they have this time. :wub:

Ah yes, that's it! Thanks for linking me back to that one... now I can add it in to my bookmark lists, where it belongs (last time I saw it was before I had bucked up for my membership).

If I ever acquire a sizable fortune, I'm going to buy a full-size metal shipping container, stencil the GC logo onto it, and publish it as the world's largest cache. It can sit at the top of my driveway, beside my Porsche-only garage. :)

And someone will take your "Porsche traveler" and leave the ever popular paperclip. :)

We don't automatically reject front yard caches and the SO really wants to place one at the back of the fence as soon as another one gets archived. That said there have been a few that really bothered me. One was actually a mystery cache mislabled as a regular and you had to read the cache page to complete it. Paperless cachers don't do so well if they don't have that page. One was a cache placed by a medical geocacher at his office. I think he pointed out cachers to patients, had the coords 40' off in a wide open area and the container was a sprinkler head similar to other sprinkler heads on the property. That day I really didn't want to meet the cache owner. :)

We did one in Presido TX that was an easy find and several in art yards here in Austin. In all cases we had a good description on the page and felt comfortable approaching the house. Actually I feel the same way about caches in buisnesses. There had better be a really good description and a 1.5/1.5 rating or I am likely to pass it by.

Darn geocahers come snooping in my front yard I GOT SOMETHING FOR THEM: and I have had quite few victims check out the Trophey Gallery.

Seriously I told all of neighbors of my plans and if they objected or had a problem with it at any point I would remove it. Now my neighbors are starting to have some "fun" with the visitors and I am getting great feedback from the caching community including a nomination for best traditional cache in South Carolina. This cache has even give me the opportunity to meet several geocahers.