Etrex and City Navigation - practical or not?

eTrex can mean two things:

eTrex = yellow eTrex (does not support map loads)

eTrex = "eTrex form factor" handhelds (vista, legend, venture as opposed to 60, 76, etc form factors).

There are eTrex form factor handhelds that will autoroute; works fine except the screens are small and the beeps are not always easy to hear.

eTrex can mean two things:

eTrex = yellow eTrex (does not support map loads)

eTrex = "eTrex form factor" handhelds (vista, legend, venture as opposed to 60, 76, etc form factors).

There are eTrex form factor handhelds that will autoroute; works fine except the screens are small and the beeps are not always easy to hear.

Naturally I meant the ones that support maps.

I am asking because we have taken our I5 on the airplane several times but the knocking about seems to have damaged it - now it fails to turn on when plugged into the car charger (it still works on batteries though).

I have an Extrex Vista HCX and am trying to decide about getting City Navigator.

So it beeps - then how do you know whether to turn right or left? Presumably you have to see the screen. Is an arrow presented to show the direction of turn? How can the screen be kept visible - especially in California where it is illegal to attach anything to a window or windshield? Maybe just have it in shirt pocket and pick it up and look at it (while driving) when it beeps? May not be the best solution!

It beeps. But is it practical?

My experience with vista hcx + CNNA is OK not great.

It is great for routing when I walk in crowded downtown to find the shop I need.

For car use, it is usable but compare with car-oriented GPS (I still use the old, but very featureful streetpilot GPS), it falls short on

a) only beep, so you have to look at the screen CLOSELY, as everyone has talked about.

:anibad: it gives a single beep, that occurs too close to the intersection you should turn, leaving you little time to read GPS and react.

The car GPS is way better in this part in that it gives you 2 to 3 (speech) warnings depending on your speed and how close from turn to the coming turn, very intelligently timed. Plus the larger screen can show you how many time and distance till the next turn.

So I find city navigator useful mainly for walking navigation, on the city road.

Absolutely, the Vista HCx works exceptionally well for navigation. I also have a nuvi I thought I would only use it but after having it bounce around in the jeep once I decided the Vista would be a better choice. I have my Vista loaded up with Topo 2008, CN 2009, and IBYCUS 1.3 maps.

Thank you. This still leaves questions unanswered:

1) Is an arrow displayed?

2) How do you keep the screen on view - or do you?

Finally, how did you get CN 2009 into the Vista? I can't find CN 2009 on DVD anywhere. Did you purchase both CN 2008 and the 2009 update? Thanks!

My experience with vista hcx + CNNA is OK not great.

It is great for routing when I walk in crowded downtown to find the shop I need.

For car use, it is usable but compare with car-oriented GPS (I still use the old, but very featureful streetpilot GPS), it falls short on

a) only beep, so you have to look at the screen CLOSELY, as everyone has talked about.

:anibad: it gives a single beep, that occurs too close to the intersection you should turn, leaving you little time to read GPS and react.

The car GPS is way better in this part in that it gives you 2 to 3 (speech) warnings depending on your speed and how close from turn to the coming turn, very intelligently timed. Plus the larger screen can show you how many time and distance till the next turn.

So I find city navigator useful mainly for walking navigation, on the city road.

Thank you. A single late beep does not sound that helpful!

Is it possible with Vista HCX to request route calculation and review the route before starting out (kind of like a portable mapquest) ?

Absolutely, the Vista HCx works exceptionally well for navigation. I also have a nuvi I thought I would only use it but after having it bounce around in the jeep once I decided the Vista would be a better choice. I have my Vista loaded up with Topo 2008, CN 2009, and IBYCUS 1.3 maps.

Thank you. This still leaves questions unanswered:

1) Is an arrow displayed?

2) How do you keep the screen on view - or do you?

Finally, how did you get CN 2009 into the Vista? I can't find CN 2009 on DVD anywhere. Did you purchase both CN 2008 and the 2009 update? Thanks!

Yes, an arrow does pop up and it will say, "TURN RIGHT ON US-40" on the screen near the top and count down in distance and time (once you are close enough). I wedge mine inbetween the dash and the windshield. It's stays *pretty* secure :anibad:

I bought CNNA 2008 and upon registering it online, Garmin gave me link to download the 2009 update for free. I am currently running CNNA NT 2009 on my eTrex Legend HCx and absolutely love it!

Feel free to ask any other questions and I'll try to answer then or hopefully someone else could too.

Robert

I use City Navigator, and Topo maps, on my Vista HCx. I find the City Navigator maps to be very helpful for me. I suppose if I could afford to get a Garmin Nuvi, then I would not have City Navigator maps on my Vista HCx, but if someone can only afford one GPS unit, auto-routing on the eTrex units that support it works just fine. :anibad:

Is it possible with Vista HCX to request route calculation and review the route before starting out (kind of like a portable mapquest) ?

Yes, you can, that partially solves the inconvenience if you you have good memory (I typically can remember only next 2 or 3 turns while being the driver).

You can also press the page button to review the text directions while driving. All of these helps if you are not driving in downtown.

I have learned over time to make very few assumptions about what people mean but do not say.

So it beeps - then how do you know whether to turn right or left? Presumably you have to see the screen. Is an arrow presented to show the direction of turn? How can the screen be kept visible - especially in California where it is illegal to attach anything to a window or windshield? Maybe just have it in shirt pocket and pick it up and look at it (while driving) when it beeps? May not be the best solution!

So mount it somewhere other than the windshield, like in the instrument cluster. Turn on either highway mode or turn preview screens; either one with give you simplfied information that is easier to glance at while driving.

The forums are full of threads where people discuss use of handheld mapping GPSr for automobile navigation. Whether or not this is a practical solution for you is a question only you can answer.

If you want to see how one autoroutes you can

. There are likely better examples, but I wasn't looking that hard.

I think the key to success in using handhelds for auto navigation is making smart choices of data fields. Dist to Next is essential. If you have this as one of your data fields, you always know how far it is until you have to make some maneuver. If you just glance at it once in a while, as you do your speedometer and rearview mirror, you know when you’re getting close and need to pay attention. Using this method, the beeps become superfluous.

I don’t know about the Vista, but the 60/76C(S)(x) units allow you to add the next turn preview page to the page sequence so you can leave it showing continuously while navigating if you wish. (The page only shows up while navigating.) This is very helpful in difficult areas. That page not only shows an enlarged view of your next maneuver, it also gives you a continuous readout of distance and time until that maneuver. This goes a long way toward offsetting the smaller screen size. This is the same page that normally pops up just before a turn, and that’s how I usually use it. But if the going gets difficult, having the next turn preview continuously in view really helps.

I have a 76CSx, and before that a 76CS. I've been using them for turn by turn navigation since 2004. I don’t leave home without it. There are trade-offs compared to a dedicated automotive unit, but I'm completely satisfied with the 76CSx.

I've used my handhelds to get through San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego, and many other cities where I didn't know my way around. Worked great using the methods described above.

Edited by roybassist

I recently bought and sold a nuvi because I prefer my Vista HCx in the car. I keep it around my neck in a car or motorbike, I can easily hear it beep on my bike.

When a turn approached it beeps, magnifies the turn with extra info and also lights up and stays lit up until the turn is completed.

What I like about the Vista is that the map page can have user configurable fields that display better info than a car gps.

it gives a single beep, that occurs too close to the intersection you should turn, leaving you little time to read GPS and react.

My 60CSX and 60CS both beep once as you approach the turn and twice when you arrive there. I would have thought the eTrex does the same thing. If not that is pretty dumb.

Legend HCx has an upcoming turn beep, and a turn emminent beep....They are able to be changed....default is single beep for upcoming, double for emminent...There are a few louder and more annoying tones there also...

You can also turn them off individually....So, Check your settings..

Dark

I bought CNNA 2008 and upon registering it online, Garmin gave me link to download the 2009 update for free. I am currently running CNNA NT 2009 on my eTrex Legend HCx and absolutely love it!

Feel free to ask any other questions and I'll try to answer then or hopefully someone else could too.

Robert

Hi Robert (or anyone),

I purchased CNNA NT 2008, unlocked it to my Vista HCX, and registered it online.

However, I see no way to obtain the 2009 update. :)

Can anyone advise me about this?

Thank you.

I purchased CNNA NT 2008, unlocked it to my Vista HCX, and registered it online.

However, I see no way to obtain the 2009 update. :rolleyes:

A lot of people have had a problem with this. Many have had to call Garmin, and some of them have been told initially that there would be no free update. By being persistent and calling until they get someone at Garmin who knows they are supposed to get it, they eventually get it. This thread tells the story pretty well. I encourage you to read it before you call, so you will be sure of the situation.

However, I see no way to obtain the 2009 update. :rolleyes:

A lot of people have had a problem with this. Many have had to call Garmin, and some of them have been told initially that there would be no free update. By being persistent and calling until they get someone at Garmin who knows they are supposed to get it, they eventually get it. This thread tells the story pretty well. I encourage you to read it before you call, so you will be sure of the situation.

Thank you. I have done so. And I emailed Garmin to request the update. However, I see no basis for arguing that I am "supposed" to get the update, except that other people got it. Is there any "official" policy information I can refer to? Many thanks.

I am asking because we have taken our I5 on the airplane several times but the knocking about seems to have damaged it - now it fails to turn on when plugged into the car charger (it still works on batteries though).

I have an Extrex Vista HCX and am trying to decide about getting City Navigator.

I have the same GPS as you with the TOPO maps and City Navigator. I used the Auto Routing on my trip to Sacramento for Geowoodstock 6. The program was both practical, and invaluable to me. The auto-routing worked flawlessly. If there was one thing I could change is the ability to disable the POIs they provide. At closer zoom levels, they can take over the map screen.

The prompt tones can be changed, and they work great for letting you know your next move (turn, etc) The software has a great feature where it calculates the distance to your next move based on your current vehicle speed. It is real nice to know that I have a right turn coming in three minutes. Besides the beeps, you'll also see a visual representation of what you need to do next.

I have zero complaints. It was a great investment.

And I emailed Garmin to request the update. However, I see no basis for arguing that I am "supposed" to get the update, except that other people got it. Is there any "official" policy information I can refer to? Many thanks.

I would suggest you call rather than email. I don't know of any "official" policy information regarding a free update.

I never suggested that you argue that you were supposed to get the update; only that some people have gotten the update only by continuing to call until they got someone at Garmin who acknowledged that they were supposed to get one. The posts by CondorTrax in particular illustrate that point.

Obviously, people can only report what their experience has been. You’ve seen what other people have reported. Until now, it seemed that everyone who should get the update got it, though some of them have had to argue for it. Garmin is free to change their policy any time they want, and maybe they have. But I would still call and make the best case I could for a free upgrade. If you don't ask, they can't say "yes."

It seems very odd that they would put a cutoff date to end the free update. They have handled this whole update business very badly.

some people have gotten the update only by continuing to call until they got someone at Garmin who acknowledged that they were supposed to get one. The posts by CondorTrax in particular illustrate that point.

<snip> Until now, it seemed that everyone who should get the update got it, though some of them have had to argue for it.

Based on the following new post, apparently the above is still the case:

update:

I tried to register CN NT online, not able to. Called Garmin support and told them what I have and he needed serial number from Vista HCX unit and code from CN NT 2008. I gave him both and link on "my garmin" webpage popped up for free download 2009 update or $10 for DVD version mailed. Great service!!

I recommend a call- Oh, and I didnt buy the CN NT 2008 through Garmin, got it off ebay for $81 shipped. So, $91 total for 2009 Version, cant go wrong.

Thanks highrolla7, for posting that.
I would still call and make the best case I could for a free upgrade. If you don't ask, they can't say "yes."
Looks like this was good advice, and still is.

It seems very odd that they would put a cutoff date to end the free update.
And now it appears that maybe they didn’t, after all. Or maybe this is just Garmin’s ongoing evolution of the update policy. Who knows?!

Success! I called and selected the support option for outdoor equipment. After a short wait (given as 15 minutes, actually about half that) I got a support rep on the line. I started out by praising the equipment and explained that I just recently ordered the DVD from Amazon. "According to the forums, people are seeing an update link at My Garmin". He said yes, I am entitled to the update! He asked if I had unlocked it and if I had the update link (yes/no). He said he would check to see what it would take to bring up the link. He was not able to achieve that, but he offered to send me the DVD for a shipping cost of $10 (plus 78 cents sales tax). Hurray! B)