Garmin eTrex H Problem?

Hey people,

I recently purchased a Garmin eTrex H to help with my caching, and I love every bit of it... Well, apart from one thing.

I have noticed that cache ID's can either be 6 or 7 characters long. I have also found that the eTrex H can only store waypoints up to six characters. This has already caused a problem as I have had caches loaded on to the GPSr with the first six digits the same, and the device then overwrites the existing waypoint when I try and put the similar one on. (If that makes sense).

What can I do, probably in terms of software, that will allow me to download the caches I want, change their waypoint names to be six characters, and then upload all of these to my Garmin.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS. I have tried GSAK - but I'm not too keen on it as I am not familiar with it :anibad: and I don't like the way it doesnt show the difficulty or terrain ratings for me.

Thanks

Hey people,

I recently purchased a Garmin eTrex H to help with my caching, and I love every bit of it... Well, apart from one thing.

I have noticed that cache ID's can either be 6 or 7 characters long. I have also found that the eTrex H can only store waypoints up to six characters. This has already caused a problem as I have had caches loaded on to the GPSr with the first six digits the same, and the device then overwrites the existing waypoint when I try and put the similar one on. (If that makes sense).

What can I do, probably in terms of software, that will allow me to download the caches I want, change their waypoint names to be six characters, and then upload all of these to my Garmin.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS. I have tried GSAK - but I'm not too keen on it as I am not familiar with it :anibad: and I don't like the way it doesnt show the difficulty or terrain ratings for me.

Thanks

I'm not a GSAK user, but I'm sure it can do what you want and much more. EasyGPS will do what you want.

Mmm.. I've just been using EasyGPS to download the LOC waypoint files for each geocache. One problem, though. Each time I download the LOC file, it opens it up in a new instance of EasyGPS instead of the existing one I'm working from.

Is there a solution to this? Otherwise EasyGPS would be perfect, as it automatically reduces the waypoint names to six characters.

Thanks

Mmm.. I've just been using EasyGPS to download the LOC waypoint files for each geocache. One problem, though. Each time I download the LOC file, it opens it up in a new instance of EasyGPS instead of the existing one I'm working from.

Is there a solution to this? Otherwise EasyGPS would be perfect, as it automatically reduces the waypoint names to six characters.

Thanks

Well, becoming a Premium Member would allow you to download five .gpx pocket query files of up to 500 caches each and have all 500 in one instance of EasyGPS. You could do this every day.

As a regular member, do a search around the area you where you want to cache. You can download 20 cache files at a time in .loc format from here and open them all with one instance of EasyGPS.