Fix re-routing Issue

Since the Colorado 400T is a GPS with auto routing capability, I want one issue to be fixed:

• Be able to re-route much quicker and more accurate.

For example, If I am going to point A, and on my way to point A I take a detour, this thing take forever to tell me that I am not following the original route, some times it does not reroute at all!

Take a look at this picture. I am about a block away from the original route! For navigation, this is unacceptable to me.

Of course, there is the long list of issue that need to be fixed: the barometer not recording when the unit if off, shutting itself off, etc, etc.

Edited by raxxal

Since the Colorado 400T is a GPS with auto routing capability, I want one issue to be fixed:

For example, If I am going to point A, and on my way to point A I take a detour, this thing take forever to tell me that I am not following the original route, some times it does not reroute at all!

Take a look at this picture. I am about a block away from the original route! For navigation, this is unacceptable to me.

Of course, there is the long list of issue that need to be fixed: the barometer not recording when the unit if off, shutting itself off, etc, etc.

Not knowing the Colorado (I've got a 60CSx) - here's a couple of questions:

What map product are you using to navigate?

What was your EPE at that point? Were you "locked on roads" ??

I know my 60CSx does that occasionally, and I'm not sure why. One time it kept wanting me to u-turn to go the opposite direction on the highway, even though my destination was 100 miles ahead in the direction I was traveling. Once I sat still at a traffic light for a minute or 2, it cleared up...

I've seen the same problem on my Colorado. What happens is this (I think):

- You deviate from your current route but don't exceed some internal off-route threshold distance (seems to be about .25 miles)

- The new road you are driving on is parallel to the active route and continues inside threshold

There should be some logic in the routing algorithm that sees you are closer to another road, ignores the off-route threshold distance and recalcs. I'd be curious to see what a Nuvi does in the same situation.

GO$Rs

It looks like the estimated position error is large enough that it thinks you are still on the freeway. Was the GPS down in the seat or up on the dash with a good view of the sky?

I would check the lock to road setting to be sure -- its kinda weird that the arrow is right over the road you are on, but it still shows the freeway as a route. I'll have to mess around with mine a bit and see what it does if I get off the freeway and stay on the access road.

I've played with the routing a bit, and sometimes it knows pretty quickly when I've taken an alternate route, and sometimes it doesn't. Haven't figured out if it looks at time, speed or direction or a combination to determine when to re-route.

At least in my case it didn't appear to be position error that was causing the problem. I never use lock on road and my cursor was definitely on a different street than where the current route ran. I was in a place where the roads were laid out Manhattan style and the route took me down one street while I followed another parallel to it. The unit never recalculated the route until I got to the next cross street and moved a little further away from the route.

GO$Rs

Not knowing the Colorado (I've got a 60CSx) - here's a couple of questions:

What map product are you using to navigate?

What was your EPE at that point? Were you "locked on roads" ??

I am using Navigator NT 2009. No, I was not locked on roads. I have the Etrex Vista, and this little thing it reroute very quickly. Why not the Colorado. I called Garmin, they told me to unselect the TOPO map, but it did not help at all.

- You deviate from your current route but don't exceed some internal off-route threshold distance (seems to be about .25 miles)

- The new road you are driving on is parallel to the active route and continues inside threshold

There should be some logic in the routing algorithm that sees you are closer to another road, ignores the off-route threshold distance and recalcs. I'd be curious to see what a Nuvi does in the same situation.

GO$Rs

This issue bugs me a lot because this an area here in Los Angeles that the traffic is kind of crazy. This area is a place where two freeways merge, lots of traffic, if you miss an exit, you are going to be late at your destination! The detour I take has many turns, I have drove this are for many years, I know the detours very well, but this thing reroute until I am about a mile or so away from the freeway! My Goodness! If you don't know the area, and you take the detour I take, by the time this thing reroute you, you will be some place else. I thought that the idea of a GPS was to help you to find the best route for you and quick.

It looks like the estimated position error is large enough that it thinks you are still on the freeway. Was the GPS down in the seat or up on the dash with a good view of the sky?

I would check the lock to road setting to be sure -- its kinda weird that the arrow is right over the road you are on, but it still shows the freeway as a route. I'll have to mess around with mine a bit and see what it does if I get off the freeway and stay on the access road.

I've played with the routing a bit, and sometimes it knows pretty quickly when I've taken an alternate route, and sometimes it doesn't. Haven't figured out if it looks at time, speed or direction or a combination to determine when to re-route.

The unit was down in the seat. I called Garmin about this issue, Garmin told me to master reset the unit. The master reset did not help at all.

My unit does the same thing, sometimes it find the new route very quickly but if I am on the street, this area where I see this problem all the time, it never find a better route until I am about a mile or so away from the original route.

GO$Rs

We all know about the issues that the Colorado has, but this reroute issue bugs me a lot. The main reason I bought this unit is to help me drive around here in Los Angeles. This area where I see this problem, traffic is a mess most of the time, so I take a detour which I know very well. The Etrex Vista HCx finds the new route very quickly. Why not the Colorado?

In the profile files, down with the marine-type settings, there is one that says something about off-course. I found this while looking at the automotive profile to see if I could hard-code a map selection.

I haven't changed this value, and I don't know if it affects the re-routing capability, but it might be something to try. Make sure to have a backup copy of the original file before you start tinkering.