Can I install City Navigator NT 2009 update on my eTrex Legend HCx?

Hello there! I'm new to this forum and have a question.

I've owned an eTrex Legend HCx for about 6 months. Today I received a nuvi 260. I registered it, downloaded and installed City Navigator North America 2009 update.

So can I use this update to upgrade the basemap on my eTrex?

Regards,

Steve

Hello there! I'm new to this forum and have a question.

I've owned an eTrex Legend HCx for about 6 months. Today I received a nuvi 260. I registered it, downloaded and installed City Navigator North America 2009 update.

So can I use this update to upgrade the basemap on my eTrex?

Regards,

Steve

Only if you have an unlock code for the eTrex (which I imagine you don't)

Steve;

Technically you can the software is on the disk but legally you can not. It's like ibycus stated you would need an unlock code and to my knowledge Garmin only provides one unlock code per software copy. The unlock code is determined by Unit ID of your GPSr.

I haven't upgraded my nuvi yet to 2009 yet, it irks me that if I buy an upgrade I still won't have the maps on my computer and if I buy CN 2009 so I can have the maps on the computer I can't upgrade the internal maps on the nuvi only install them on a SD card.

Is it possible something has changed with CN 2009?

The reason I ask is that after I downloaded the update, hooked up my 260, entered the software key I received when I registered it and ran the install it said it was extracting the maps to my PC before it uploaded them to the GPSr.

After the update was completed I noticed a new application on my desktop called "Map Install". I hooked up my Legend HCx and it was recognized. The next screen asked me what regions I wanted to install. I select as many states as I want and it gives me total file size on a bar graph. I can also zoom in on this app and see the maps in full detail that I want to install.

I haven't done it yet as I don't have a micro-SD card to handle the extra map data.

Edited by sjn951

sjn951,

Interesting, it was my understanding that when you run the upgrade it only uploads to the GPSr and does not install MapSource and the maps on your computer. If this information is incorrect please let me know. because that is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded, that and I got it for Christmas and have only used it a total of about four times. I figured that when I get ready for my next big road trip I would probably get the up grade.

Will do. I just need to pick up a memory card to see if it'll go.

AFAIK the only way I can access the maps is through the install app. I have the waypoint software from my eTrex installed but I haven't tried to access the maps yet. I'll play around with it when I get home today.

Also, after I registered the nuvi it told me I only had 90 days to get the free CN update. Don't know if that applies to you or not.

sjn951,

Interesting, it was my understanding that when you run the upgrade it only uploads to the GPSr and does not install MapSource and the maps on your computer. If this information is incorrect please let me know.

MapSource now seems to be on my PC after the CN 2009 install. I can zoom to street level detail.

Edited by sjn951

sjn951,

Interesting, it was my understanding that when you run the upgrade it only uploads to the GPSr and does not install MapSource and the maps on your computer. If this information is incorrect please let me know.

MapSource now seems to be on my PC after the CN 2009 install. I can zoom to street level detail.

Well thank you, I didn't realize that the upgrade came with MapSource. When you buy a nuvi you don't get MapSource or the maps for your computer; it was like buy CN on SD. I guess I better reconsider upgrading after all. Thank you.

*Update*

I purchased a micro sd card and tried to download maps from the map install utility. After I selected the states it said my GPSr was not unlocked for those maps.

Any suggestions? I own the maps on my computer. Shouldn't I be able to use them on my Legend as well as my nuvi?

You need a valid, unused unlock code for each GPS unit onto which you wish to unlock the maps. The update that you got was valid for a single GPS unit. You would need to purchase additional unlock codes for additional units and since you don't have the full version of the maps already installed on your Legend, you would need to pay the full price.