ScoutingWV Cointest

ScoutingWV

Got my samples and decided to post the pics of the one I chose. Originally, I wasn't going to, but I decided I wanted to go ahead and share the design. This coin will be TRADE ONLY - it will not be sold. I am not taking trade requests until I have the coins in hand, and yes, I know that won't stop people from asking. :laughing:

Background

I wanted a coin that actually looked like a coin. I wanted more metal than color. Over the past couple of years I've had a lot of folks ask if I was ever going to make my avatar into a coin. When trying to decide on a design idea, I decided to go with the avatar, but eliminate almost all of the color.

The parts of the coin

Three things that have always been a part of my life are reflected in the design: My home, an organization I've been involved with for over 30 years, and my outdoors hobby. My home has always been, and will always be, WV. The cardinal points of the compass ring the state front and back. Silver was chosen because it is the metal with the most meaning and what is used on the highest awards in Scouting - not gold.

Front

The fleur-de-lis in the center of the front side is a symbol for the Boy Scouts of America. The red arrow and bars show my Brotherhood membership in the Order of the Arrow. The OA is essentially the national honor society of campers within the organization.

Back

My geo-nickname and the year I started geocaching is here along with a boot print showing my hobby of hiking in the WV hills and any where else I can find a good trail. The coins will be serial numbered and not trackable with the number located in the boot print.

Size, metal, and quantity

The coin will be 1.5" in diameter, antique silver, and the arrow and bars will be glitter enamel. I am only making 100 of these and the order has been placed with the vendor. Many, Many, Many thanks to Oakcoins for all of the time they put into making this turn out the way it did. I'm very happy with it and I hope others will be as well.

Thanks for looking!

Front_b.jpg

Back_b.jpg

<edit: a little more detail>

Edited by ScoutingWV

I think this is one of those coins that when you see it in person, it is beautiful. I have nicolo's personal coin which is all silver and it's beautiful, plus it's heavy enough to throw at someone and knock 'em out:) Nice coin SWV!

tsun

Thanks TSun!

The first idea was to have the Fleur-de-lis, compass points, geo-nick, date, and boot print polished. Problem was, it only worked in a cost effective way on the nickel coin. Those parts looked great in nickel, but the remaining detail was lost. After looking at them and forcing my friends to tell me what they would do, this is is the result. I'm happy with it, but you're right - it's better in your hand than on a monitor!

Very nice coin, as a transplanted mountaineer, I can't wait to arrange a trade <_<

Thank you!

Yeah - I've known you're an 'eer for a while now! Got something else coming soon I hope you REALLY like. :laughing:

I hope it is what I think it is, keep me up to date!!!!

Great design, love the symbolism and lots of visible metal on this coin. Can't wait to make a trade.

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback. Any word on where your coin ended up that was sent to Philmont? I'll be back this summer if you want another dropped ...

No idea, hopefully it's in the hands of someone who likes geocoins. I'll probably send you another one to drop there.

I really like this coin design. Clean, simple, straight to the point and with a naturalistic touch.

As an ASM and OA member I can relate to this coin. I don't have a great collection of geocoins however I would still like to see what possibilities there are of trading for two. 1 for my personal collection and 1 for our Troop. I have donated two Scout related geocoins to the Troop thus far and this would be another great one to add. Troop 507 Geoscouting Coin , Troop 507's Venturing Crew 44° 85° Geocoin

Our Troop is heavily involved in Geocaching and recently we held a geocaching event. Camp Ohdakota GeoScouting Event

The event was a great success. Many local and not so local cachers attended as well as many Scouts, Cubscouts and Venturers. The Scoutmaster (aka - Rogheff) for our Troop also held a seminar for other Adult Scout Leaders during the event and they were amazed at the possibilities that geocaching has to offer Scouts. All in all it was a great event.

Please keep me in mind when you start trading.

Thanks.

wow, this coin is awesome!!! ive been waiting for an OA coin to come out, and im suprised its been this long. I love the design and the metal look is definitley cleaner than tons of colors. I am just starting to work on my eagle project and am an OA brotherhood member as well.

unfortunatly i doubt i have much to trade that u would want, but we'll see when teh time comes.

wow, this coin is awesome!!! ive been waiting for an OA coin to come out, and im suprised its been this long. I love the design and the metal look is definitley cleaner than tons of colors. I am just starting to work on my eagle project and am an OA brotherhood member as well.

unfortunatly i doubt i have much to trade that u would want, but we'll see when teh time comes.

Good luck with your project! Let me know when you have your ceremony.

;) Well, they finally arrived and I couldn't be more happy with them! I want to thank everyone who has given their feedback along the way.

As mentioned above this coin will not be sold. They are strictly trade only. This particular coin also will stop at 100. If I make any other personals they will be different in some way. I've also decided to minimize the number of trades I do by mail for this coin. It doesn't mean I won't, but I've only made 100 of them and would really like as many opportunities as possible to actually meet the folks I trade with and hopefully go caching with them.

Trade offers are now welcome through my profile, but please don't be offended if you ask and we don't work one out. There's always next year! :D

;) Well, they finally arrived and I couldn't be more happy with them! I want to thank everyone who has given their feedback along the way.

As mentioned above this coin will not be sold. They are strictly trade only. This particular coin also will stop at 100. If I make any other personals they will be different in some way. I've also decided to minimize the number of trades I do by mail for this coin. It doesn't mean I won't, but I've only made 100 of them and would really like as many opportunities as possible to actually meet the folks I trade with and hopefully go caching with them.

Trade offers are now welcome through my profile, but please don't be offended if you ask and we don't work one out. There's always next year! :D

Email sent! :D