Are geocache downloads (waypoints) limited?

geoprincesss

Checking all caches on page 1 of 10, then checking all caches on page 2 of 10, then clicking DOWNLOAD only ends up downloading all caches on the current page (2). Page 1 caches do not download. Am I doing something wrong? Certainly there must be a demand for more than one page of downloads at a time.

If this is a geocaching.com limitation, how do you merge more caches to the same .loc file?

From my experience, the only limit is now many times you can keep pushing 'select all', 'download', 'next' before you go crazy.

Yeah, but that requires assigning a different filename to each download making pc/gps cache management difficult. Maybe gpsbabel is what I need for now. So far this has been a very casual hobby. I wouldn't mind the $30 for a Premium membership and pocket querries, etc., if I was one of those who had the cache bug, but so far it's just been something to do a few times and not all that thrilling. Would have been great if this had been around when we had young kids.

From my experience, the only limit is now many times you can keep pushing 'select all', 'download', 'next' before you go crazy.

Yeah, but that requires assigning a different filename to each download making pc/gps cache management difficult. Maybe gpsbabel is what I need for now. So far this has been a very casual hobby. I wouldn't mind the $30 for a Premium membership and pocket querries, etc., if I was one of those who had the cache bug, but so far it's just been something to do a few times and not all that thrilling. Would have been great if this had been around when we had young kids.

If you are only doing this from time to time it would seem like the ability to select 20 at a time and downloading the .loc file should work for you. I did this for years even as a premium member and didn't find the naming of each file to be an issue. 5 files would get me as many as 100 caches which has always been plenty for me.

You're probably right that I can get by with a page at a time. Up till now I've just been manually entering coords for 2 or 3 at a time. I was going to download a hundred or so via the pc and thought I was doing something wrong when I couldn't get more than a page at a time. Thanks to all for the tips. If we do get into this very heavily I'm sure I'll go the premium member route.

If you use easyGPS it has a way to create one file out of several pages. It's been too long since I used it for me to remember the details, but it was easy.

It's been at leat 3 years, but...seems like all I did was make the first page of twenty caches, and then there was some way to tell it to continue to add additional files to that same file. I changed anything I wanted to change (deleted some caches, changed the icons, etc) and sent the waypoints to the gps.

easyGPS is a free download. I used it until I became a premium member.

I do the same thing, go to each page and download the file.

I am just completing a macro for GSAK the uses GPSBABEL to combine all files into a .GPX and then automatically loads it into GSAK.

So far it is working very well. I just have to complete some cleanup of the input files and it should be ready to publish.

I may be looking at a premium membership later to get more information on the caches.

I have expertGPS set as my default .loc reader, every time I download another 20 caches it opens it into another page, once I have downloaded all the pages I am interested I can cut and paste them all into a single file. You could do the same thing with the free easygps.

I usually do this with the outer rings of a pocket queries I am setting up so I can see how they overlap before firing them off.

[off topic]By the way if any GC.com developers are reading this it would be really cool if you could download a preview .loc file from a pocket query without it counting against your daily download limit.[/off topic]