Garmin 60CSx

Hi,

I just got my 60CSx a few days ago. New to GPS and geocaching, so it's been a fun learning experience!

One question about the 60CSx.

When I select a geocache, and click 'GoTo', and then 'Off Road' -

the red arrow/pointer isn't all that accurate, but the 'Distance to geocache' field is very accurate.

Is this normal?

I have found that if I'm 500+ feet away and moving, the red arrow is somwhat accurate, just not as I get closer.

Thanks,

SRV4ev.

Sounds to me like it isn't calibrated. You need to do that every time you change batteries and sometimes if it's just been sitting around for a while.

And if I change location several miles I'll calibrate again. Local variation, ya know.

Jim

Like the other poster asked, is the compass "on"?

If you are just using the pointer and not the electronic compass, once you start moving the pointer will correct itself.

Just standing still, the GPSr doesn't know which way you are facing.

The pointer is not going to walk you right up to the cache. The person who placed the cache had a fudge factor (accuracy) in his GPSr. Your GPSr has the same fudge factor, so as an example........you could be anywhere from a few feet away from the cache to 30' away. Which is why any geocacher will tell you when the distance gets down to that 30' or so, put down the GPSr and start looking for likely hiding locations.

Edited by Team LPD

the red arrow/pointer isn't all that accurate, but the 'Distance to geocache' field is very accurate.

Is this normal?

I have found that if I'm 500+ feet away and moving, the red arrow is somwhat accurate, just not as I get closer.

I had this problem with my Legend C. it turns out that the pointer was set to "Course", once I set the pointer to "Bearing" it started functioning properly.

Hope this helps.

Being a new 60Csx user, I wonder if perhaps you have your compass set with a "Course Pointer" instead of a "Bearing Pointer"? When I first got my Vista Hcx, I was concerned about the pointer also being inaccurate and not pointing to my next waypoint. But then, after reading the manual (like I should have done in the first place), I found it was set to "Course Pointer" - which I don't care for, personally. I simply set it for Bearing Pointer and it points perfectly to the next waypoint - once the electronic compass is calibrated of course.

Just go in the menu from the Compass Page, and select Bearing Pointer - that's all there is to it.