Unique Geocaches

Adium

I went through the forums, certian online shops, and even eBay and downloaded various pictures of geocaches that I thought were unique. I then uploaded them to Flickr, (easier to resize than photoshop), and made this quick page for the purpose of sending it to my father. He is an engineer, but was raised on a farm so is an expert carpenter, plumber, you name it. So by showing him these various caches he can help me come up with some new concoctions of our own.

I thought I would share it with all of you as well, as it did take me quite a while to sift through the forum thread worth 51 pages of posts.

http://www.razornylon.com/content/view/29/33/

Not necessarily making everything on that page (or anything for that matter). It's more for giving my father an idea of what to look out for.

It's a page to promote "Thinking outside the box".

I'll have to keep your page in mind when I look at some new local caches. You've got several fairly new ones not to far from me (I'm in Ithaca) that are high on my list of caches I intend to do.

This is my new Cache. I have yet to determine a good spot for it to its not too suspicious. But inside is about a cylinder space of about 1 1/2" x 1/2inch diamater for a log and pencil.

One bolt end is locked into place. Hardware cost about $2

geocache1.jpggeocache2.jpg

Very nice! :anibad:

I recently placed one that uses a similar concept. You can see the details on the page I posted for the reviewer (I have no problem revealing the hide. It's a simple one, doesn't get much traffic and was really just to see if I could make it work).

I recently finished building an electronic/mechanical geocache with an audio triggered lock inspired by John Draper, a.k.a. 'Captain Crunch' of 1970's phone phreaking fame. To open this geocache the user has to solve a small puzzle to get the needed tone frequency, then record a sample of that tone and bring it with them. At the site the user must find the 'key' located on the cache, insert the key into the keyhole to power it up which plays back an operator's instruction recording. When prompted the user then plays the pre-recorded tone to activate and open the lock. It's not placed yet but I've posted a page with more photos and a video of the cache in operation. ( !! SPOILER WARNING !! )

montage.jpg

Edited by linuxonthebrain

Not necessarily making everything on that page (or anything for that matter). It's more for giving my father an idea of what to look out for.

It's a page to promote "Thinking outside the box".

I'll have to keep your page in mind when I look at some new local caches. You've got several fairly new ones not to far from me (I'm in Ithaca) that are high on my list of caches I intend to do.

I am guessing that you are looking at "The Owl's nest" as I hear a lot about it from the locals. Not too many level 5 for terrain in a city this sized either.

FYI, none of my cache's are on that page.

Great stuff! I have seen just about every one. Like the fake grass the best... it took me forever to find one like that in a monkey-grass border.

Totally dislike the fake fire emergency pull box, can't stress enough how bad an idea that is, the rest are cool.

On the other hand that pull box might be a hoot to place inside a rock boulder "cave". :lol: