New Geocacher with a ?

Welcome to the fun!

It sounds like you are going through what most of us encounter fairly early in the game.

A good way to find interesting caches to go for.

One great way to do this is to attend a local geocaching event and talk to some of the other cachers in your area. If you look through some of the past logs on local caches, you will find that there are some cachers out there that you will see those names in the logs over and over again.

From reading their logs, you may get a feeling for who finds caches in your area that are the kind of caches you would like to find, too. If you can catch an event in your area that they are attending, go and talk to them and ask them for their recommendations for caches in your area.

Attending events and making geofriends can be a lot of fun! Every once in a while, we will have groups get together to go caching and that can be informative as well as a ton of fun. Before I placed my first caches, I spent a little time watching others search for caches to see what kind of search methods they use. It helped me to situate my caches in a way so that the finders can get the experience that I hope to give them when they come to my caches.

Alternately, you can also look at their profiles and see what caches they have been finding, read some of their logs, and decide if they sound like the kinds of caches you would like to find, too.

I have a couple of geocaching friends that I have made where I have discovered that we have similar tastes in caches. Sometimes I look at their profiles to see where they have been caching lately and what their logs say. Then we go to find those caches and we have something in common to talk about when we see them at events.

You will also find that some cachers have a typical kind of hide they like, and place several caches like that.

Once you find one of theirs that you like, look for others they have hidden.

In any event, as long as you are having fun, then you are a winner! :D

Edited by Stargazer22

I would use pocket queries to setup a search that customs to what you are looking for. To do this you are going to have to fork out $3, but anymore you're going to spend twice that in gas getting to the cache, so if you have decided to geocache $3 isn't much.

Once you subscribe visit this link.

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

It's worth it trust me, and I am sure every geocacher you will meet will agree.

I would use pocket queries to setup a search that customs to what you are looking for. To do this you are going to have to fork out $3, but anymore you're going to spend twice that in gas getting to the cache, so if you have decided to geocache $3 isn't much.

Once you subscribe visit this link.

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

It's worth it trust me, and I am sure every geocacher you will meet will agree.

It's only $3.00 now. And to think, I paid more than that. I hope I get a refund. :D

New to Geocaching as of 5-25-08. :anibad:

is there a way to do a search of caches in the area that are popular caches or frequently visited caches?

Welcome!

While the above advise to join for PQs is excellent advice, it doesn't answer your question: popular or more frequently visited caches. The two aren't the same. Most frequently visited are only caches that are more convenient to find and it not a measure of quality. Right now about the only way to find the more well liked caches is to read the logs. A longer log is indicative of a more memorable cache, either good memorable or bad memorable. Then what they actually say in the log will determine how likely you are to enjoy that particular hunt.

Hope this helps even though it doesn't really get you closer to your goal. It's an ongoing debate around here.

thanks for the replies, the reason I asked was because I found a coin yesterday that sat in the same cache for almost 9 months and I didn't want to put it somewhere where the same thing would happen.

I'll stick it in an easy cache in a bigger city...

You may want to rethink that....Many coins go missing because they are just too darn cute (or beacuse people don't understna dhwa they are, or because some people have no scruples?)...

"easy" caches get more visits from new cachers and from people who aren't really cachers ("muggles" "cache pirates" "kids playing in the park")

New cachers often get into the game, don't really take to it and drop out --or--don't take the time to read the instructions on the trackables and make serious (though unintended) errors in logging. Cache pirates and kids playing in the park often just take the cool things they find in caches.

Soooo, you may want to be a bit choosy about where you drop that coin. The owner would probably appreciate it moving, but they's also appreciate it being placed somewhere reasonably safe too.