Feature request / Question : multiple "Send to GPS"

extelon

I was wondering if there is a way to transfer multiple caches using the "Send to GPS" feature. If not, is this something that could be created?

~extelon

There is, it's called Pocket Queries and available with a subscription of $30/year or $3/month.

Yup! After you become a Premium Member and create your first Pocket Queries, you can have 500, or more, caches in your GPS unit within a few minutes. :)

I had the same question. Thanks for the answer. But, if you don't mind, would you please expound on that? i.e. give us a working example. Give us a few basic steps of how that would be accomplished.

Also, does this feature allow you to download them and import them to a cache manager? I should be more clear. Can I download many caches at a time so that I can, in turn, import them to a manager . . . . quickly?

But this looks like it generates a .gpx file which can be imported... I was thinking of the actual "Send to Garmin" plug in that directly transfers the coordinates to the gps without having to involve another application.

But this looks like it generates a .gpx file which can be imported... I was thinking of the actual "Send to Garmin" plug in that directly transfers the coordinates to the gps without having to involve another application.

I agree this would be a nice feature.

I am a premium member so that isn't the issue.

It's when we decide to go caching at the last minute it's so easy to just plug in the Garmin and send to GPS. This is how I do mostly all of the caches we go out looking for.

It would be nice to do more than one at a time.

I agree this would be a nice feature.

I am a premium member so that isn't the issue.

It's when we decide to go caching at the last minute it's so easy to just plug in the Garmin and send to GPS. This is how I do mostly all of the caches we go out looking for.

It would be nice to do more than one at a time.

I think many of us keep our GPSr's loaded with caches in our usual caching areas. That way we can go out the door and have the cache info already there.

How would you choose which caches to send in such a way that it would be faster than multiple "Send to GPS"? You can check search results and get a LOC file immediately.

I think many of us keep our GPSr's loaded with caches in our usual caching areas. That way we can go out the door and have the cache info already there.

How would you choose which caches to send in such a way that it would be faster than multiple "Send to GPS"? You can check search results and get a LOC file immediately.

I imagine you could select which caches to "Send to GPS" much the same way as you would for the LOC file. I have found myself wanting to download caches to my GPSr when I am not by my home computer and don't have access to the software to transfer LOC files to my unit. This has happened when I'm on vacation and only have access to an Internet Cafe or if I've gone to visit a friend. I can usually find a USB cable somewhere and if I could "Send to GPS" and having it transmit all of the caches I've selected from the website it would save me some time. Unless you know of a way that I can send GPX or LOC files to my GPSr without having to install any additional software on a computer i'm borrowing.

I imagine you could select which caches to "Send to GPS" much the same way as you would for the LOC file. I have found myself wanting to download caches to my GPSr when I am not by my home computer and don't have access to the software to transfer LOC files to my unit. This has happened when I'm on vacation and only have access to an Internet Cafe or if I've gone to visit a friend. I can usually find a USB cable somewhere and if I could "Send to GPS" and having it transmit all of the caches I've selected from the website it would save me some time. Unless you know of a way that I can send GPX or LOC files to my GPSr without having to install any additional software on a computer i'm borrowing.

As for avoiding additional software, you'll unfortunately still need to install the Garmin Communicator plugin :angry: to "Send to GPS".

But I see your point - it would be convenient.

As for avoiding additional software, you'll unfortunately still need to install the Garmin Communicator plugin :D to "Send to GPS".

But I see your point - it would be convenient.

Well, atleast with the Garmin Communicator plugin the footprint is extremely small and most internet cafe's wouldn't even notice that it had been installed.

I was wondering if there is a way to transfer multiple caches using the "Send to GPS" feature. If not, is this something that could be created?

~extelon

It also depends on what GPS you are using. With the Garmin Colorado you can do just that; send a LOC file or a GPX file directly to it, without involving another application. And, by using a GPX file, you will also get descriptions, logs and hints on the GPSr.