Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

CB

Have not been on CB since the 60's. Used to have a Johnson Messenger II with a Turner +2 and a Super-Magnum Antenna.

Back then, the hangout was channels 9 & 11.

A bunch of us hooked Oscilators to the mike and learned Morse Code up on channel 23 and got out Ham Radio Tickets.

In Southern California folks use channel 31 when we go 4wd geocaching. CBs are still fairly popular with the off-road set, since they have better than line-of-sight range limitation of FRS and similar radios.

I normally use 2M, 146.52 or local repeater, and 220 repeaters. Occasionally 10M, 6M, or 440. Yes, I can radiate across a lot of spectrum...

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

In Southern California folks use channel 31 when we go 4wd geocaching. CBs are still fairly popular with the off-road set, since they have better than line-of-sight range limitation of FRS and similar radios.

I normally use 2M, 146.52 or local repeater, and 220 repeaters. Occasionally 10M, 6M, or 440. Yes, I can radiate across a lot of spectrum...

Dave_W6DPS

Yes the 4WD crowd use CB here too, I have 2 running at dif times, try and monitor ch 9 but I mostly run on the VHF/UHF freqs.

As far as hooking the two together (CB and GPS), it could be done but you would not have any network to upload to, you and friend could do it like the Rinos do, but the tech required would be high. You would be better off to get your ham ticket and join the APRS crowd or go with the Rinos.

thats my 2 cents, you almost have a nickel :rolleyes:

Eric

KB5SPZ

Spend the little time and study for your ham ticket, if 13 year olds can pass it than anyone can. it has much better range than the CBs do and its a lot more fun!

chris

KC9LJT

Edited by chris2537

Strike me down if I've posted this in the wrong place but..

Does anyone use a CB radio whilst caching? What kind of setup do you use?

I have a handheld that I picked up for a buck at a garage sale. Put some batteries in it and haven't used it since. I got it for use while 4x4ing but then my stupid rig hasnt been trustworhty since.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Let's see C.B. thats my real initials.

Well I have a rig that is older than some geocachers.

I have been on the air since before they required a license way back when and still remember that call sign.

KTR4587.

And my handle is still the One and only World Famous COOKIE-MONSTER.

That FCC licensing did not last long though.

Now I have a changeable crystal hand-held Realistic that has been around for ever.

I have a CB in both trucks and in the car.

I am also a Licensed HAM Technician now a days and have my Echo link set up for my Laptop and Home computers.

Working on a rig to use for my RINO and ARPS for our Emergency Mapping and weather spotters.

KC0VJP.

Dont knock CB! :(

Has its place in the world, ( CQDX11.com ) and a very enjoyable hobby if you have a thick skin.

It was some thing that got a lot of hams on their way in the hobby to full calls later on. :LOL

Nothing wrong with CB I have a Midland CB in my Land Rover monitoring channel 3 normally alongside my 2m/70cm rig , I also have a PMR440 handheld which is also on channel 3 (ctcss 33) as used by a few cachers in the South Wales area :P

Sure, I have the CB on my Goldwing on whenever I take it to look for a cache. I monitor either 16 or 33. Ch33 is used by the majority of chapters of the GWRRA Motorcycle club. I prefer VHF, but the CB is there as well. Also currently working on APRS for the bike.

Ok I'm anti c.b. the biggest problem (at least out here) is no one use's it so the c.b. owner gets the Idea that he or she "just dosn't have enough out put power" and so they buy find an amp and cause all sorts of problems eather unknowing and for some of thease clowns knowingly cause problems. :) And for the most part if your far enough away from home that you need a 2-way raido c.b. on AM would be my last choice. my first chioce would be a GRMS .

I use CB to keep in contact with home while I am caching! I have a mobile radio that I sling over the shoulder aand get the wife to feed me the next cache!

Krillian

Ok I'm anti c.b. the biggest problem (at least out here) is no one use's it so the c.b. owner gets the Idea that he or she "just dosn't have enough out put power" and so they buy find an amp and cause all sorts of problems eather unknowing and for some of thease clowns knowingly cause problems. :ph34r: And for the most part if your far enough away from home that you need a 2-way raido c.b. on AM would be my last choice. my first chioce would be a GRMS .

FRS? A mile range at best! CB will get you several miles of reliable comms! I use it while I am caching to keep in contact with home. If I am lucky and find the caches I took with me I just talk to the wife and she gives me more. Cant do that with FRS!

I agree that there are some bad ops on CB BUT there a far more good ones! Range is what it is all about !

Ernie/Krillian

Edited by Krillian

Strike me down if I've posted this in the wrong place but..

Does anyone use a CB radio whilst caching? What kind of setup do you use?

im new to geocaching, i dont use a cb while caching for the one reason i dont have a handheld cb radio with ssb. or i for sure would.

Ok I'm anti c.b. the biggest problem (at least out here) is no one use's it so the c.b. owner gets the Idea that he or she "just dosn't have enough out put power" and so they buy find an amp and cause all sorts of problems eather unknowing and for some of thease clowns knowingly cause problems. :sad: And for the most part if your far enough away from home that you need a 2-way raido c.b. on AM would be my last choice. my first chioce would be a GRMS .

most people talk on ssb these days. its hard to find anybody on am. so you need a radio that has ssb.

We do have a pair of FRS/GMRS radios but myself and Mrs. use our Telus walkie-talkie "Mike" phones to keep in touch most the time. It's private and crystal clear comms no matter how far apart we are.

For those so inclined, ham radio is a great option as well assuming everyone in your group is willing to get their licence - it's not rocket science and opens the door to yet another great hobby. My geocaching mentor is a fellow ham operator, as myself.

Have been up and down the C.B. path before, really liked SSB operation, and it's still popular with RV'ers, but C.B. is not an ideal service for portable-to-portable operation owing to its wavelength (in N.A.). I used to have a pair of C.B. handhelds (each took 10 AA batteries) and those telescoping antennas were brutal. The rubberized "stubby" type was compact but useless at 27mhz. Not meaning to knock C.B. entirely. I can see where guys like Krillian could make use of a portable to keep in touch with a base or well equipped mobile station a few miles away. I guess it's all about your situation and locale.

Edited by JohnTIZ

Ok I'm anti c.b. the biggest problem (at least out here) is no one use's it so the c.b. owner gets the Idea that he or she "just dosn't have enough out put power" and so they buy find an amp and cause all sorts of problems eather unknowing and for some of thease clowns knowingly cause problems. :D And for the most part if your far enough away from home that you need a 2-way raido c.b. on AM would be my last choice. my first chioce would be a GRMS .

most people talk on ssb these days. its hard to find anybody on am. so you need a radio that has ssb.

I think that traffic on SSB is purely regional. Around SoCal you are just as likely to hear someone on AM.

I doubt many people would find the additional cost justified.

Most of the time, you rarely hear anyone on channels other than 19...

Dave_W6DPS

When I was with REACT in the 1980-90's we assisted hundreds of people, from locals to "skip" from Kansas to Florida (YES, with 5W AM rigs).

Now I enjoy helping the community as a HAM, but still have SSB/CB and FRS/GMRS too. Every option (or redundency) is good for back-up.

I still like CB when out traveling. There are lots of truckers who stay on 19 and they are a good source of traffic info or for directions.

I use a HF/VHF/UHF radio in the mobile so Yes, I know it isn't quite legal to use my ham rig for CB, but it is probably more legal than most CB'ers running 100w+. :D

VHF is probably the most logical for local comm., good range from a portable without a huge antenna. In the US we have a group of Frequencies assigned as Multi-Use that require no license.

"Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS)

MURS is a private, two-way short-distance voice or data radio communications service used for personal or business activities. The service operates on five Very High Frequency (VHF) channels, originally set aside for business use, but subsequently made available for personal use.

MURS users must cooperate in using the five channels to reduce interference to other users. No user has priority over any other user, but all users must yield to emergency communications. A MURS station may not operate as a repeater station, including store-and-forward packet radio operation, or a signal booster.

Maximum allowable transmitter output power for a MURS unit is two watts. Transmission range between two hand-held units varies depending on the unit’s antenna height, terrain, and weather."-from www.fcc.gov

Here is the list of frequencies available:

For more detailed info go to the FCC page on MURS.

The helpful part is no license is required, but the power is limited so it will be relatively short range, yet farther than FRS.

Ok I'm anti c.b. the biggest problem (at least out here) is no one use's it so the c.b. owner gets the Idea that he or she "just dosn't have enough out put power" and so they buy find an amp and cause all sorts of problems eather unknowing and for some of thease clowns knowingly cause problems. :ph34r: And for the most part if your far enough away from home that you need a 2-way raido c.b. on AM would be my last choice. my first chioce would be a GRMS .

I think that traffic on SSB is purely regional. Around SoCal you are just as likely to hear someone on AM.

I doubt many people would find the additional cost justified.

Most of the time, you rarely hear anyone on channels other than 19...

Dave_W6DPS

thats very untrue. there is a lot of people on ssb. i live in oshawa on. canada, and from oshawa to west of toronto there is a number of people chatting on the on the high 30s lower side. nobody really uses am.

when the skip comes in you cant even talk due to so many people trying.

and side band isnt that bad on the wallet. i would rather spend a little more and be able to talk to people, rather then save a little bit of doe and and only be able to talk to truckers.

i think that you may be surprised. check it out :unsure:

doc_phil

me and a buddy use fm 10 meter radios to keep in contact with while cacheing. i use 200 watts and he uses 300 watts. we can keep in touch across the state from one another !!

I still like CB when out traveling. There are lots of truckers who stay on 19 and they are a good source of traffic info or for directions.

I use a HF/VHF/UHF radio in the mobile so Yes, I know it isn't quite legal to use my ham rig for CB, but it is probably more legal than most CB'ers running 100w+. :ph34r:

VHF is probably the most logical for local comm., good range from a portable without a huge antenna. In the US we have a group of Frequencies assigned as Multi-Use that require no license.

"Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS)

MURS is a private, two-way short-distance voice or data radio communications service used for personal or business activities. The service operates on five Very High Frequency (VHF) channels, originally set aside for business use, but subsequently made available for personal use.

MURS users must cooperate in using the five channels to reduce interference to other users. No user has priority over any other user, but all users must yield to emergency communications. A MURS station may not operate as a repeater station, including store-and-forward packet radio operation, or a signal booster.

Maximum allowable transmitter output power for a MURS unit is two watts. Transmission range between two hand-held units varies depending on the unit’s antenna height, terrain, and weather."-from www.fcc.gov

Here is the list of frequencies available:

For more detailed info go to the FCC page on MURS.

The helpful part is no license is required, but the power is limited so it will be relatively short range, yet farther than FRS.

Interesting stuff.. I didn't know this. Didn't these freqs used to be cops and municipal back in the day? OR at least really close to it?

CB FRS/GMRS and more *evil laugh*

First of all don't buy FRS only GMRS and get a license. Range increases dramatically especially with Motorola and Icom. Remember there are also local FRS/GMRS repeaters in some areas, we have several here including a couple run by the ham radio clubs.

Don't sell CB short it has it's uses especially if you are restricted to a tech license in ham. CBs can reach a long way with it's 11 meter signal in areas that are open and not subject to emi. I get 30-50 miles out of the one in my truck from the middle of the desert.

BTW I have it all in the truck. CB, GMRS, HF/VHF/UHF, etc up to 1.2 gigs. Everything works well in an area where cells fall out of the network.

Best gand out here here is 6m (50mhz) for mountain and canyon coverage.

Reference the area with Google Earth Joshua Tree, CA, Kelso, CA, Baker CA and Pahrump, NV for examples of the geography here.

CB FRS/GMRS and more *evil laugh*

First of all don't buy FRS only GMRS and get a license. Range increases dramatically especially with Motorola and Icom. Remember there are also local FRS/GMRS repeaters in some areas, we have several here including a couple run by the ham radio clubs.

Don't sell CB short it has it's uses especially if you are restricted to a tech license in ham. CBs can reach a long way with it's 11 meter signal in areas that are open and not subject to emi. I get 30-50 miles out of the one in my truck from the middle of the desert.

BTW I have it all in the truck. CB, GMRS, HF/VHF/UHF, etc up to 1.2 gigs. Everything works well in an area where cells fall out of the network.

Best gand out here here is 6m (50mhz) for mountain and canyon coverage.

Reference the area with Google Earth Joshua Tree, CA, Kelso, CA, Baker CA and Pahrump, NV for examples of the geography here.

Have not been on CB since the 60's. Used to have a Johnson Messenger II with a Turner +2 and a Super-Magnum Antenna.

Back then, the hangout was channels 9 & 11.

A bunch of us hooked Oscilators to the mike and learned Morse Code up on channel 23 and got out Ham Radio Tickets.

Now THAT brings back memories. When I was a kid in the 1960's), I used a borrowed Messenger II for a month or so, then a Citi-fone SS. Eventually upgraded to a Courier 23 and a Hy-Groin CLR2 (with RG-8/U cable, of course to ensure those precious watts reached the antenna and the received signals got to my radio better. :unsure:

During that time, my uncle Al (the original W2TXB) suggested that I get into some real radio communication, so I got a Hammarlund HQ100AC and started studying code and theory, and then wrote the ARRL for info on finding a volunteer examiner for my Novice and Tech tests. They hooked me up with K2DNN, who administered the tests. Shortly afterward, I became WN2DWN and WA2DWN, respectively (you could do that back then :ph34r: ). I kept the "WA2DWN" (had a couple of great phonetics for that one) call until 1983, when I got a new call sign (KD2DR, which also had some great phonetics). About seven years ago, I applied for my late uncle's call sign and will probably keep that one forever.

Amateur radio exams are not that difficult, and it remains a fun hobby that can be a great educational asset as well. Even the equipment is not all that expensive.

Let's see C.B. thats my real initials.

Well I have a rig that is older than some geocachers.

I have been on the air since before they required a license way back when and still remember that call sign.

KTR4587.

KC0VJP.

My family's first CB license call-sign was 16W2548 -- that was the FCC format from 1959 or so. Can't remember when they changed to the three-letter-four-number style, but when they did ours was KNF1510.

The E.F. Johnson "Viking Messenger I" was made just a few miles from here in Waseca, MN, and we owned one. There may have been CB rigs that predated that model, but not many.

At various other times we also had the:

Messenger II, III, 100, 123( A and B ), 124, 130, 223, 250, 323(A and M), 352D, 4135, 4140, 4730 and lastly a Viking 4740 SSB rig that I still have.

Also, many of the Johnson Vikings of Old too. (Check out the Johnson Desk Kilowatt. Continuous tuning[!] from 3.5 - 30 MHz. Heh. That one could could do some damage.)

My father sold and serviced Johnson stuff for 35+ years...

Edited by afh3