Should I get handheld GPS unit for geocaching (I already own Palm & BT GPS)

I have Palm TX with bluetooth GPS unit that I am using for navigation in my car and for occasional geocaching. It works well but every time I take it into the field I am afraid of dropping it. So far I had no drops but after browsing Ebay and seeing $20-40 old handheld GPS units, I think it would be a good idea to just get one for geocaching. I guess if I drop and break $25 GPS, I am not going to whine too much as I would after breaking $250 Palm TX. Does is make sense?

Since we are on the used GPS subject, what old GPS units would you recommend. I am talking about sub $40 old GPS' like Magellan 315, 2000XL, etc.

Thanks.

I have Palm TX with bluetooth GPS unit that I am using for navigation in my car and for occasional geocaching. It works well but every time I take it into the field I am afraid of dropping it. So far I had no drops but after browsing Ebay and seeing $20-40 old handheld GPS units, I think it would be a good idea to just get one for geocaching. I guess if I drop and break $25 GPS, I am not going to whine too much as I would after breaking $250 Palm TX. Does is make sense?

Since we are on the used GPS subject, what old GPS units would you recommend. I am talking about sub $40 old GPS' like Magellan 315, 2000XL, etc.

Thanks.

Not sure I'd want to run around with a <$40 GPS in the woods, looking for a geocache, but I certainly recommend some sort of weatherproofed handheld GPS over a Palm/BT Gps. If you get caught in the rain, the Palm isn't going to be happy with you, and the other thing is you will get a lot more battery life if your GPS unit isn't also trying to transmit/receive a Bluetooth radio signal.

I use both. I use my Palm (also a TX) with GeoNiche to access the description and log files for each cache (and occasionally to verify position when I'm having trouble locating a cache) and a handheld to navigate. I started out with just the Palm but the screen can be hard to read in direct sunlight, the battery life leaves a lot to be desired, it's not waterproof, and I did drop it once and have a nice scratch on the screen to show for it.

I'm still waiting for a handheld that adds support for full description and log entries so I only have to carry one unit.

I'd recommend upping your budget for a handheld if possible to $75 or so and pick up a used eXplorist.

Edited by cpatch

I'm still waiting for a handheld that adds support for full description and log entries so I only have to carry one unit.

Garmin Colorado shows as much description as cachemate did on my PDA. I can't log my caches with field notes out in the field, but a $0.25 notepad in my back pocket works great for that. I ditched my PDA methods about a week after I got my 400t.

I would look at the newer Garmin units that have 'H' in the name. Those have high sensitivity receivers and will work much better than an older $40 GPS unit. If your computer has a Serial port, you can get by with the least expensive of the new 'H' models, however I recommend getting one that connects with USB.

I would stay away from Magellan because of their terrible Customer Support.

Edit for typo . . .

Edited by Miragee
Not sure I'd want to run around with a <$40 GPS in the woods, looking for a geocache, but I certainly recommend some sort of weatherproofed handheld GPS over a Palm/BT Gps.

:D My geocaching involves only simple caches in nearby parks. Definitely not planning on going to hike thru Adirondacks looking for caches.

Which eXplorist model do you guys recommend? I have also looked at the 400t, but that's just too expensive. I am looking for something simple. Even with my Palm TX, the only screen I use for geocaching is the one with arrow pointing me in right direction. Logging I do at home when I am back. I guess mapping capability and PC connection for uploading maps would be a plus. On the other hand I am not a hardcore geocacher so entering one or two caches that I am going to look for manually is something I can live with.

Thanks for all the input.

Not sure I'd want to run around with a <$40 GPS in the woods, looking for a geocache, but I certainly recommend some sort of weatherproofed handheld GPS over a Palm/BT Gps.

:D My geocaching involves only simple caches in nearby parks. Definitely not planning on going to hike thru Adirondacks looking for caches.

Which eXplorist model do you guys recommend? I have also looked at the 400t, but that's just too expensive.

If you're going for an eXplorist, something like the 400 allows maps to be uploaded but be warned, it uses a lithium-ion battery, and that could come back to bite you later.

Many of the Garmin units (including the Colorado 400t) use AA or AAA batteries, which are far less expensive to replace if you want to use rechargables. Then again, something simple like the original eTrex Legend will get you by if you don't need frills or street-routable maps. I have had one of those for 5 years now, and it's still going strong, and is useful for Geocaching, if not quite as sensitive as one of the newer H models.

Basically, you want a weatherproof unit for those nuisance times you get caught in the rain or drop it in a puddle and most handheld units will make that grade. After that, the more money you throw at it, the more convienient it will get. Another unit you should probably look at is the Magellan eXplorist 210, but I agree that Magellan is a company to avoid at the current time. Just look at the WAAS threads to see their attitude toward their customers.

Thanks.

Not sure I'd want to run around with a <$40 GPS in the woods, looking for a geocache, but I certainly recommend some sort of weatherproofed handheld GPS over a Palm/BT Gps. If you get caught in the rain, the Palm isn't going to be happy with you, and the other thing is you will get a lot more battery life if your GPS unit isn't also trying to transmit/receive a Bluetooth radio signal.

There is definitely nothing wrong with Magellan 315! :D I have been using the Magellan 315 for the past 10 years in wilderness areas of Rocky Mountains with issues. The unit has been very accurate and I have never had tree cover, clouds, or terrain imped my capability of getting a good SAT lock. The only reason I upgraded to the Vista HCx this year was for the mapping capability. drabina I would have no reservations recomending a Magellan 315 for geocaching or hiking, since there is no market for them I keep mine in my jeep for a backup unit for myself or guests.

Thanks for all the replies. I will look for one of the models that you guys recommended. And yes, the Palm will be with me when I geocache but having it in the backpack is a lot safer. Now I just need a new small backpack as I hate the one that I have. One big compartment and one small one. Everything in the big compartment gets mixed up while hiking.

Thanks for all the replies. I will look for one of the models that you guys recommended. And yes, the Palm will be with me when I geocache but having it in the backpack is a lot safer. Now I just need a new small backpack as I hate the one that I have. One big compartment and one small one. Everything in the big compartment gets mixed up while hiking.

I also have a Palm TX and use it with a Garmin Map60cs. (Has a poor coverage compared with the nex Hcx antennas). Found the best thing since sliced bread was cachemate for the palm.

I export all the caches from GSAK to my palm, update the logs while caching, return home and run a macro that logs all my notes with a simple paste into Geocaching.com sequentially. No more writing notes or trying to remember what I did or left behind in a cache.