Maritime Geocaches

res2100

Since my other topic was closed before I had a chance to ask, anyone have any caches that they highly recommend in the Moncton, NB area or anywhere in PEI or Nova Scotia? I've never been to the Maritimes and I would like to visit some caches that will give me a memorable experience, and also something that might be worthy of a milestone.

Also, as a side note, in regards to my other topic that was closed...I never asked for any PQs...if I wanted PQs, I would have done it myself. I wanted to try to narrow down the caches in the area before I make the effort to run PQs myself (I started doing this yesterday and it wasn't working too well...just too many caches), so I don't have to run 18+ of them. We all know there's lots of people that keep lists of all of the caches in the provinces\states\countries that they reside in. Anyways, enough about that...time to continue planning my vacation.

Hamgran and I enjoyed GC8A2C (I'm a Little Teapot) in PEI, and GCG5FJ (What Lies Beneath) and GC35B8 (Time and Tide) in NS. You need the tide tables for two of these caches.

We're headed back to PEI in September with Banjosmom to spend the week caching, then close our week with the Shellfish Festival. Can't wait! I love PEI!

knitter has some awesome picks, anything by Bush Babies are good.

Hamgran and I enjoyed GC8A2C (I'm a Little Teapot) in PEI, and GCG5FJ (What Lies Beneath) and GC35B8 (Time and Tide) in NS. You need the tide tables for two of these caches.

We're headed back to PEI in September with Banjosmom to spend the week caching, then close our week with the Shellfish Festival. Can't wait! I love PEI!

What type of caches do you like? The oldest cache in Canada is just southwest of Halifax. There are so many great caches in Moncton and PEI it would be hard to narrow it down but I will try. Let me know what you like to do

We like the variety when we are caching. I really like waterfalls and also things that I have never seen or experienced before. Sometimes it's more about the experience than the cache itself. Caches that stick out in my mind are those that when you go to a cache, it makes you forget about caching and actually stay awhile to experience what the area has to offer, as opposed to just finding it and heading on to the next one.

And yes we do intend on going to the oldest cache in Canada, but it's probably not a wow cache or something that will excite me much other than for a historic geocaching point of view. I'll check out some of those caches mentioned in this thread.

We're staying in Moncton, NB for a few days, PEI (Summerside) for a few days, Cape Breton for a few days and Dartmouth, NS (Halifax) for a week, and the rest of the time it's a night here and there in other towns around NS, so we do plan on driving all over NS and PEI.

LOts of great caches do find in the maritimes

I would check out the caches along a route function on GC.com, there are several that you could use

and a few that are along the TCH,, modify the query for your own use,

There are loads of caches within 3-8 km of the TCH...

Cape Bretonn has over 1000 caches,,

I don't have a lot of caches under my belt, but the Turtle series in Dartmouth by durango0072 have been alot of fun! There's still one that is causing me fits!

If you like waterfalls, then just look for pushkin's caches. If there's a waterfall in Nova Scotia, then he's probably got a cache there. Some of them you could still get the FTF on!

We did quite a few last summer out in NS, PEI, and NF. While Canada's oldest cache is not a spectacular find (we did do it for a milestone), there is a route to get there that is. If its a long hike you want, then I can't really reply with a great answer but for a beautiful drive, head from Halifax to Peggy's Cove (and do the Easy Sheets series...something like 40 caches on a 23km stretch of the highway...extrememly lame but great for the numbers). There are a couple at Peggy's Cover which are cool. Most people turn around there.

Instead of heading back, keep going along that highway, now heading northwest from Peggy's Cove. There are two Swiss Air memorials on the way towards to Trans Canada and I believe one has a virtual and the other has a traditional cache. These are very interesting locations with beautiful monuments and make you stop and think for a while.

There are a few OK caches along the route north towards to TC but once you get there, head west and then south again down the next penninsula to the west. You will have just driven around St Margaret's Bay. When you head south again there, you will be on Hmy 329. This highway is not travelled much by tourists, very quite, has some easy roadside caches, but is spectacularly beautiful. As you follw it and round the tip, you will head north again and eventually wind up near Chester and Canada's first cache. We just head back to halifax from there. This was the day we managed 57 caches in 11 hours BTW.

Our first cache ever was on Cape Breton and if you want to see some real beauty, plan a trip on the Cabot Trail and do some of those caches. PEI has a ton of caches...none that really stick out for me but the whole island is beautiful so you can't go wrong.

Don't forget to grab the Great White North Geotour caches out there. One in each of the capitols (hey, you could even fly to St Johns, NF for the day like I did just to grab that one too....now there is the best caching I have ever done!!!).

I know Geocite is heading out east this summer too. Maybe you guys will be there at the same time for some caching. Brendan of Eelow and Beelow and I met up in PEI to do a few.

Let me know if you need anymore info on out east caches Ralph. We have done about 250-300 caches out there now.

I would second Time and Tide and also would say that Yarmouth--The Churn (GCX2JE) is an absolute must do. If you can go at sunset--even better. An absolutely awesome--little bit off the beaten track but not too far----location.

Also Bunker's Island (GCP9N8) would be great especially during the time when the CAT comes in. Check the times at the visitor centre. We didn't find it but I've been watching it and it is there.

We did quite a few last summer out in NS, PEI, and NF. While Canada's oldest cache is not a spectacular find (we did do it for a milestone), there is a route to get there that is. If its a long hike you want, then I can't really reply with a great answer but for a beautiful drive, head from Halifax to Peggy's Cove (and do the Easy Sheets series...something like 40 caches on a 23km stretch of the highway...extrememly lame but great for the numbers). There are a couple at Peggy's Cover which are cool. Most people turn around there.

Looked through my cache logs...looks like the Easy Sheets series is archived.

We do alot of caching on our trips to NS every summer.

I really enjoyed Gaspereau River Trail and Sceptred Isle is along the way. Also Duncanson Brook Reservoir these are in the Annapolis Valley near Wolfville. Nice hikes along not well known trails.

In Truro, NS's Victoria Park is A Covered Bridge in Truro. A great park will some nice trails and two waterfalls nearby. There are also 11 other caches in and around the park.

Another fave is Hole in the Wall

Enjoy. We go home every summer and are always amazed at how many new places we have discovered.

The Gertridge Explorers

All great picks

We do alot of caching on our trips to NS every summer.

I really enjoyed Gaspereau River Trail and Sceptred Isle is along the way. Also Duncanson Brook Reservoir these are in the Annapolis Valley near Wolfville. Nice hikes along not well known trails.

In Truro, NS's Victoria Park is A Covered Bridge in Truro. A great park will some nice trails and two waterfalls nearby. There are also 11 other caches in and around the park.

Another fave is Hole in the Wall

Enjoy. We go home every summer and are always amazed at how many new places we have discovered.

The Gertridge Explorers

here is a quick list:

In Moncton Area

Underground Lake (GC11F6)

The Hopewell Rocks Earthcache (GC11F89)

If you do the five caches in Fundy Park you get a free geocoin

the drive from Moncton to Fundy is nice and lots of Park and Grabs

Irishtown Park in the North of Moncton is really nice

In Halifax area

Plain as the nose on your face series is fun by BPCacher

Creatures of the night cache (GCQA08) night cache is fun

A bit out of town the "Fergus has an All Terrier Motive" series is a nice drive

Point Pleasant Park is nice to visit in downtown Halifax is nice to visit and a few caches there

I'll think and try to send you some more

GCKC9G "Ted the Boardwalk Beagle" was nice for taking you on a tour of the Halifax waterfront, an area we usually spend some time touring, along with the Pier 21 centre. There's a small pub right by the Cows ice cream booth that serves an awesome breakfast mess (Privateer's Breakfast, I think - a pile of breakfast stuff covered in Hollandaise sauce. All your daily calories and more in one sitting! <_< )

another good one knitter (GCKC9G)

GCKC9G "Ted the Boardwalk Beagle" was nice for taking you on a tour of the Halifax waterfront, an area we usually spend some time touring, along with the Pier 21 centre. There's a small pub right by the Cows ice cream booth that serves an awesome breakfast mess (Privateer's Breakfast, I think - a pile of breakfast stuff covered in Hollandaise sauce. All your daily calories and more in one sitting! <_< )