Changes to UK Import Duty and VAT

In case you don't frequent the Geocoins forum, I thought the UK community might like to know about the following changes to how the Revenue Man is dealing with the advent of the internet;

From the HM Revenue and Customs website;

"If you purchase goods through the Internet you should be aware that customs duty and VAT will be payable, as follows:

customs duty - if the amount of duty is £7 and over

import VAT - if the value of the goods is £18 and over

Please see Notice 143 A guide for international post users, paragraph 3.3 for more details.

UK duty payable on excise goods received via post from abroad.

From 19 July 2007, excise duty is due on all excise goods (including tobacco and alcohol products) received via post from abroad, including occasional gifts and goods ordered online. This applies to goods sent from EU and non-EU countries."

For the purposes of duty, toys (ie Gaming pieces/tokens as geocoins should probably be described on the customs declaration) are assesed at 0-4.7% of the declared value so a few geocoins are unlikely to reach the £7 threshold. See this 'easy' to read page for details....

It appears that Her Majesty's finest have cottoned on to the 'gift' thing and that it no longer applies... :laughing:

Edited by Von-Horst

It appears that Her Majesty's finest have cottoned on to the 'gift' thing and that it no longer applies... :laughing:

Hardly surprising really, folks were starting to take the p!$$.

I expect customs are very well aware that we can't all have loads of very generous friends and relatives in China and Hong Kong to send us all the "gifts" that now flood in from those countries :D

Not to mention the £8 Parcel Force fee for collecting the blooming VAT!

For me, DHL are the worst culprits for the "admin fee" rip off...

I got a parcel from Taiwan, paid the relevant duty, vat and bloody admin fee to DHL, and thought that was that.

2 months later, I get a bill for duty, vat and the admin fee again.. Foned DHL, told them I already paid and sat back to watch the telly...

3 montha later, I get billed TWICE on the same invoice for the same package, same airway bill number... Foned DHL etc etc etc....

Last month, I get a threatening letter from DHL, promising to send in the bailiffs if I dont pay up...

Foned DHL, etc etc etc.... Ended up paying again just to stop the bailiffs stealing my GPS!!!

I really do have an issue with the "admin fee" that these companies charge... £10 admin charge for paying £4 vat is legalised theft in my eyes...

Nuff ranting, back to walking soggy fields looking for tupperware!!