Empty cache found with note inside telling us off

Adium

Based solely on this thread and the cache page, there is no reason it shouldn't. In fact, as it stands, it is not a viable cache, now is it? No logbook.
Looks like a viable cache to me. It has a logbook with a nice graphic on one side. A big container for a log only cache, but still a viable cache.
Like I said, not everyone would agree...

I guess it would be up to the reviewer that is notified and the cache owner to determine if my SBA log has any merit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for community-based cache maintenance, but if a cache proves to be a problem then maybe it's time to archive. I ain't saying it and I ain't saying ain't. Just making a point.

I don't see how you can support the claim that the cache 'proves to be a problem', since it was perfectly fine for two years before it got jackbooted.

I know the CO quite well. Between him and one other person, about every cache I have hid the two of them have FTF'd, together or on their own.

This is not a liar cache, but it would play right with the theme. The cache was called "Poker Night", could be one hell of a bluff! LOL. I have contacted him too though and this is not the case. Currently the cache is archived until he can get out there and check it himself.

Edited by Adium

Is there a way to get some blood for this or do I need to go take a calming walk?

Nah. Blow it off. Out of every few hundred or so chimps, you're going to find a weasel every now and then.

There are jerks everywhere, even in this hobby. It ain't worth getting worked up over.

I -do- like the idea of using the note as a new log sheet, though. :D

I think a calming walk is probably the best answer. I myself would contact the police department though and find out if they had a hand in it or not.

That's the thing that makes this really confusing. The police wouldn't of laid claim to "Jackboot", but if not the police why include the icon? Too make your demands more threatening?

I think you nailed it. A police officer would not have left that note in my opinion. The officer would have left an official card with his or her info on it that included a contact phone number. This is someone suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Edited by Krieg's Bones

If it was my cache I'd probably go to the police and show them the note because I'd be dumbfounded to think the police would do that. I'd want to know if it was the police, but that's just me.

Maybe the vandal had a personal vendetta against the owner. Could be the owner deleted his log???... Who knows.

I am only about 99 percent sure it wasn't the cops. A cache cop maybe, but not a real cop.

A real officer of the law would have, as mentioned previously, would have left contact info or removed the whole cache, not stolen the contents.

I think people are reading into this way more than needs to be. No one likes having their cache tampered with, so granted your right to be upset, but this is getting way too much attention. Replace the cache where it was, replace it with just a log book for now, keep the sheet as a souviner and see what happens.

Ok, add to the cache name - aka Jackbooted

Something similar happened here in the NW, but it turned out to be the police. You can read the thread about it here.

Not only was it the police but another cache in that area, which is an LPC, received explicit permission to be placed there after it was also found by the police. Stranger things have happened.

Hubby, who happens to be a law enforcement type, said he would have just removed the offending cache. No note, no explaination. If it were breaking the law it would be removed. Myself, being more on the evil side, would definately have used that paper as the new and improved log book! (Improved cause it would tick off the jerk who left it and THAT would make me laugh!) :D:):D

Perhaps you have angered a local tribe of letterboxers. If you are confronted by a pack of letterboxers throw a handful of store-bought mass-produced stamps on the ground and while they are frothing in disgust, take the opportunity to run. Always be cautious when dealing with wild letterboxers as they often carry sharp hobby knives.

(Alternately shout, "look over there! 30 degrees to the right!". Half of them will turn 30 degrees from north, a quarter of them will turn 30 degrees from the current heading, and the other quarter will pull out multiple compasses and debate internally the correct direction while pointing, arm outstretched like a dowsing rod.)

Something similar happened here in the NW, but it turned out to be the police. You can read the thread about it here.

Not only was it the police but another cache in that area, which is an LPC, received explicit permission to be placed there after it was also found by the police. Stranger things have happened.

The note in that cache was different. The police identified themselves as the police. Using an image that is readily available is not identifying yourself as the police. I also think that it is unlikely that an officer would refer to himself as "jackboot". It is possible that it was a policeman who did this, but not likely.

I don't for a moment believe that the note was left by an actual member of the state police for the following reasons:

• The person didn't directly identify himself as a LEO.
  • He used a pseudonym that is very unlikely for an acual LEO.
  • The note was carefully pre-prepared and laser-printed, rather than simply handwritten.
  • He removed the swag and logbook. A LEO would have removed the everything if the cache was in an inappropriate spot, or simply left a 'howdy' note if the cache was fine.

The note in that cache was different. The police identified themselves as the police. Using an image that is readily available is not identifying yourself as the police. I also think that it is unlikely that an officer would refer to himself as "jackboot". It is possible that it was a policeman who did this, but not likely.

Oh, I agree with you on this one. It seems much less likely than the one in the prior thread. It will interesting to see how it plays out.

I think by adding that graphic the culprit was certainly trying to give the impression that he was acting in some sort of official capacity. Why else would it be there? Just because he thought it was pretty?

I agree that it does stand out, and it does give that impression. I am also trying to look at it from someone else's perspective and state that he didn't technically impersonate anyone.

If it did go to court I know for a fact that there would not be any charges for impersonation. Theft would be out the window too cause technically something like this being left in the park like it is could be considered abandoned, and every stash note does say "If you wish, go ahead and take something. But please also leave something of your own for others to find". Which in a mixed up way he did.

I am not defending him, I still want blood! I just know what will happen if I do call the police and report this. They will get anal and treat you like you are at the DMV. After a previous experience with some neighborhood kids at my last house, I learned some of this real quick. (I had to drop the deductible on my cars to $0)

I'm glad you brought this up because it is really at the root of a lot of maggot issues. In the majority of cases like this, there's absolutely nothing you can do legally if someone walks off with a cache or its contents. So, you saying you want blood or any type of recourse, is not possible unless you want to do something illegal yourself. In fact, reporting it to the police might be counter productive if permission issues were not dealt with implicitly.

So we revert back to the original sound advice you got early on in this thread. Take a calming walk and give in to the fact that a game that mostly relies on anonymous trust in human nature is going to have issues like this, stop giving this maggot the attention he craves, go find another cache and channel your energy into being happy about the fact that the cache was there.

Sounds to me like someone local who doesn't like what geocachers are doing in that area (e.g. using the park or using the access road).

The access road can't be accessed from where the cache is and I'm nearly positive that the cache area cannot be seen from a nearby home.

I suspect that it is a local cacher/maggot who needs to get gruntled.

Edited by sbell111

I would have flipped over the note they left and started it up as the replacement log book! :D:D:):D:D:D:D:D:anibad::D

At least till the cache owner could replace it himself! :D:D:D:D

Looks like a cache maggot to me!

It is a truly sorry individual that has to stoop to this extreme low level to get swag to put into his new cache hides!

Perhaps you have angered a local tribe of letterboxers. If you are confronted by a pack of letterboxers throw a handful of store-bought mass-produced stamps on the ground and while they are frothing in disgust, take the opportunity to run. Always be cautious when dealing with wild letterboxers as they often carry sharp hobby knives.

(Alternately shout, "look over there! 30 degrees to the right!". Half of them will turn 30 degrees from north, a quarter of them will turn 30 degrees from the current heading, and the other quarter will pull out multiple compasses and debate internally the correct direction while pointing, arm outstretched like a dowsing rod.)

:D:anibad:

I think you should take geocache and the note and march into the police station, ask to see sargeant and demand an explanation. If you cannot give you an acceptable answer, demand to see Chief O'Hara.

Make a citizens arrest if necessary.

Demand a refund for your Policeman's Ball tickets.

But the policemen around here don't have balls.........oh s**t, did I say that out loud?

Nothing offical about that note. More than likely some other local cacher that wanted to place a cache in the same park but was denied because of the .10 rule.

Park Rangers have a policy to abide to when collecting lost or stolen property and unless your cache was clearly trash, you would have been able to contact the local park office for some sort of explaination.

Should you archive this one, wait for a while and see who is the first to place a new one nearby.

That's your maggot.

Well, it does seem pretty jacked-up that this person is just messing with a cache. Personally, I would go for the 'shoot first, questions later' approach. But, it might help to get a list of photographs of local cachers, to keep from shooting one of our own.

In all seriousness, it would help to just watch and see if any other caches get this treatment, and then decided on a course of action. This could have been a one-time prank by a kid. Or it could be a malicious attack on geocaching. If other caches remain in good shape,then it's probably somebody who happened to see the cache and wanted to take out their frustrations on someone they didn't have to face.

My God, I can't believe more people agree with what CoyoteRed has said already. This obviously isn't official in the sense that a cop placed it. Only the image was used, as it represents the, in my opinion, true end sincere point of the note to "please geocache somewhere else".

I'd guess it was placed by someone who maintains the park, or by someone who is in some way bothered by the game to the extent they take the time to print and place a note.

Should it matter who placed the cache? No! (Unless it's just someone pulling a bad joke/trying to be annoying, which I don't believe this is). Someone doesn't want us to geocache here. Fine. We won't.

My God, I can't believe more people agree with what CoyoteRed has said already. This obviously isn't official in the sense that a cop placed it. Only the image was used, as it represents the, in my opinion, true end sincere point of the note to "please geocache somewhere else".

I'd guess it was placed by someone who maintains the park, or by someone who is in some way bothered by the game to the extent they take the time to print and place a note.

Should it matter who placed the cache? No! (Unless it's just someone pulling a bad joke/trying to be annoying, which I don't believe this is). Someone doesn't want us to geocache here. Fine. We won't.

QUIT GEOCACHING!

There

Someone wants you to stop geocaching. So, have you archived your caches and terminated your membership yet? ... .... .... .... .... .... *waiting*

Why would this person say to play the game away from the park??? ...

Frequently, we have seen local people feel that they own the park. Typically, this is someone that lives within view of the park and doesn't want strangers using their park.

I adopted a cache last October that's on a path between 2 roads with houses and townhouses on either side, within plain view. It had gone missing once since I adopted it. Recently there have been reports of a homeowner yelling at cachers trying to find this one, saying "get out of here, it's gone, don't come back." After a few of these reports, I went to check on it and it was still there (thankfully because it is well-hidden). Finally one of my fellow cachers reported the house number of the person yelling at them. Oh boy... talk about wanting blood and being able to take it! But I did th ewhole "take a walk" thing and feel a little better. I have not yet decided whether I should talk to the homeowner, talk to the police saying this person is causing a disturbance, or if I should just let it go. I recently discovered there is a very similar hiding spot down the path about 40 feet, so I might try to move it there, which wouldn't be right in front of "residence 7992," but I hate to just "give in" like that for a muggle that can't even seem to find the container him/herself.

Kojones

If you post the exact address of the offending homeowner, it is quite possible a friendly IRS agent who is also a cacher could feel the need for an audit. Just remember, there are lots of cachers from all walks of life. Just a thought.

QUIT GEOCACHING!

There

Someone wants you to stop geocaching. So, have you archived your caches and terminated your membership yet? ... .... .... .... .... .... *waiting*

Well that's mature. You know what I mean. Geocaching is meant to be fun and harmless. If it bothers someone, we'll go elsewhere. Why mock them if they really don't want us there? If someone played loud music in the street near your yard where you are trying to relax, and you were annoyed by it to the extent you ask them to please turn it off or at least turn the volume down, wouldn't you be happy if they did? I mean, they don't have to, but you're bothered by it, so if they're decent people, they'll listen to you. We geocachers should be decent people, not the kind that gets angry when someone is bothered by us.

QUIT GEOCACHING!

There

Well that's mature. You know what I mean. Geocaching is meant to be fun and harmless. If it bothers someone, we'll go elsewhere. Why mock them if they really don't want us there? If someone played loud music in the street near your yard where you are trying to relax, and you were annoyed by it to the extent you ask them to please turn it off or at least turn the volume down, wouldn't you be happy if they did? I mean, they don't have to, but you're bothered by it, so if they're decent people, they'll listen to you. We geocachers should be decent people, not the kind that gets angry when someone is bothered by us.

Well if they came to my door flashing a badge as if they were a cop and weren't You can bet I turn them in for impersonating one. The park is PUBLIC property and unless the park states that we cannot geocache on their territory we have the right.

I still stand by my first statement on this post. Hold a cache event.

Edited by ComputerCacheBug

QUIT GEOCACHING!

There

The question is who are "they?"

If my neighbour came over to my house and said my music bothered them, i would turn it down.

If someone came to my house in a disguise like perhaps a fake police uniform or KKK robes or some such device designed to intimidate me without any REAL authority, I don't think it is particularly "immature" to show them the way OFF the porch and to particularly describe the consequences to their health and safety if they choose not to avail themselves of an appropriate exit strategerie.

To the contrary of your point, I think it is quite immature to kowtow to persons who choose to be bullies. Bullies can be handled in two ways: First you try the "ignore" method. If that does not work you need to speak their language- retaliate in kind with a decisive amount more of it than they dished out to you.

In the OP case, since the bully is also a COWARD, evidenced by the fact that they did not properly identify themselves, the second response is not reasonably available.

Perhaps holding an event there will "flush out' the coward and then the problem can be solved.

Real cops are not afraid to sign their name. If this was a real cop, the note would have been written on or attached to hisher business card.

Pretty sad when you can't geocache without the MAN comming down on you! I like the idea of having an event in the park. The note would itself would make a cool piece of swag. Keep visiting the cache and see if you find any more of the things. If the numbnut keeps doing this score the notes. I want one. My wife sez to leave the fool a note that says "guess what, your'e playing too!" Could be the guy is just some grumpy geocacher who is off his meds or something.

Pretty sad when you can't geocache without the MAN comming down on you! I like the idea of having an event in the park. The note would itself would make a cool piece of swag. Keep visiting the cache and see if you find any more of the things. If the numbnut keeps doing this score the notes. I want one. My wife sez to leave the fool a note that says "guess what, your'e playing too!" Could be the guy is just some grumpy geocacher who is off his meds or something.

Personal feelings aside, name calling is against guidelines and should be left out of your posts!! We want you around to post in the future my friend!!

I don't know, I've not read ALL of this thread...but does the CO have permission to use this park? If so, place a note in the cache explaining this and even leave a contact email address so the person can contact you if they so desire!

If no permission, maybe you should get permission?

Some of the language in this thread isn't child friendly...

QUIT GEOCACHING!

There

The question is who are "they?"

If my neighbour came over to my house and said my music bothered them, i would turn it down.

If someone came to my house in a disguise like perhaps a fake police uniform or KKK robes or some such device designed to intimidate me without any REAL authority, I don't think it is particularly "immature" to show them the way OFF the porch and to particularly describe the consequences to their health and safety if they choose not to avail themselves of an appropriate exit strategerie.

To the contrary of your point, I think it is quite immature to kowtow to persons who choose to be bullies. Bullies can be handled in two ways: First you try the "ignore" method. If that does not work you need to speak their language- retaliate in kind with a decisive amount more of it than they dished out to you.

In the OP case, since the bully is also a COWARD, evidenced by the fact that they did not properly identify themselves, the second response is not reasonably available.

Perhaps holding an event there will "flush out' the coward and then the problem can be solved.

Real cops are not afraid to sign their name. If this was a real cop, the note would have been written on or attached to hisher business card.

I'm not sure "retaliating" is being mature or going to help in any way! How can making an upset person even more mad help the situation? For that matter, how could placing another cache in the original location help? All this will do is give the person another chance to upset the CO and gives the CO another chance to become angry...I don't see any good there! :laughing:

The ignore choice would be a better option. Asking for permission (if not already given) would also assure you are in the right (for whatever good that'll do). Moving the cache or REmoving the cache are two viable answers, be the adult and take a higher road! I do like the hosting event idea...

Or, just keep on replacing and getting angrier.... :)

QUIT GEOCACHING!

There

If I were playing catch in that park and someone asked me to "go play catch somewhere else, you are bothering me," I would laugh and tell them to get bent...

It sounds to me that this is not a great area for a cache (if I am reading this correctly). I once made the mistake of place two caches in an area that was not on private property, but was close enough that they concerned the locals, so I archived them. Sure, they were active less than a month but things happen sometimes. We had a micro in this area that the last person who found it noticed a note inside stating that while he understood the game and wished us no ill will, we should move the cache. In fairness it was on the property of a small business. The owner was being nice and non-confrontational.

With that said, this is not from a police officer. A cop would have left more info. This is a cache maggot. My guess is that "Jackboot" is a free account. When we have trouble with caches in this area, we just MOC them...that way at least someone has to fork over $30 to get the privilege of raiding caches.

We have an older guy (70's) who has had a ton of caches muggled...even MOC caches. He has had so much trouble that he has had to archive almost all of them.

I think I would go to the police (if I were the cache owner) if the area is a legal place for the cache. That person could also try moving it some, updating the coords and changing it to an MOC to see if anything changes.

Just my .02

Looks and sounds more like this is a pi$$ed of resident that is having his access road blocked of by people searching for this cache.

I've been wondering when somebody would finally mention the "access road" reference. Sure sounds to me like the incident is very specific to the neighborhood.

I don't know, I've not read ALL of this thread...but does the CO have permission to use this park? If so, place a note in the cache explaining this and even leave a contact email address so the person can contact you if they so desire!

If no permission, maybe you should get permission?

Some of the language in this thread isn't child friendly...

maybe you should. It would help you understand posts in context.

I discovered a cache today and when I opened it everything was emptied and there was a plastic bag with this note in it.

5173c74f-191e-424e-9d10-71077304527a.jpg

The first cache of the day, and nothing could of ticked me off more. I looked there is the user name jackboot but they have no profile, no finds, no nothing. It doesn't mean that this is the guy, but it does make me wonder.

There is an icon on the right that looked pretty official for a black and white pic, stating that this was done my the police department. However if it was the police department I highly doubt that they would of claimed credit to the name "Jackboot".

I am just a little worked up and want some blood. I can't understand why someone would play the game, only to ruin it for others.

I did have trouble locating the cache using the turn-by-turn directions on my GPS. It wanted me to stop on the highway. The cache was in the back end of a park against a fence which was closer to the highway and not the park entrance road. It wasn't near any utility access roads either.

Is there a way to get some blood for this or do I need to go take a calming walk?

EDIT: Spelling errors

I discovered a cache today and when I opened it everything was emptied and there was a plastic bag with this note in it.

The first cache of the day, and nothing could of ticked me off more. I looked there is the user name jackboot but they have no profile, no finds, no nothing. It doesn't mean that this is the guy, but it does make me wonder.

There is an icon on the right that looked pretty official for a black and white pic, stating that this was done my the police department. However if it was the police department I highly doubt that they would of claimed credit to the name "Jackboot".

I am just a little worked up and want some blood. I can't understand why someone would play the game, only to ruin it for others.

I did have trouble locating the cache using the turn-by-turn directions on my GPS. It wanted me to stop on the highway. The cache was in the back end of a park against a fence which was closer to the highway and not the park entrance road. It wasn't near any utility access roads either.

I would be curious as how the area around the cache looks. My point being this. I have visited two cache sites in parks. One a small city park in Oracle, AZ, the other Catalina State Park near Catalina, Az. The area around both of these sites have been badly trampled by cachers seeking that elusive well hidden micro. In both cases the damage was so bad that I abandoned my search and moved on. This type of reckless destruction can give our sport a bad image.

I would be curious as how the area around the cache looks. My point being this. I have visited two cache sites in parks. One a small city park in Oracle, AZ, the other Catalina State Park near Catalina, Az. The area around both of these sites have been badly trampled by cachers seeking that elusive well hidden micro. In both cases the damage was so bad that I abandoned my search and moved on. This type of reckless destruction can give our sport a bad image.

Perhaps so. But damage to the park SHOULD elicit a response by someone of authority at the park- who would have IDENTIFIED hisherself in an open and professional manner..

People of authority do not steal the contents of a cache and then hide behind the anonymity of a free internet account.

The lack of contact information on the note is prima-facie evidence of impersonation IMO.

To me the irritation of this whole incident is the PRETENSE of authority by the person who (ostensibly) stole the contents and placed the note.

It is not a matter of something that a cacher or cachers did wrong that makes them persona non grata in the park. It appears that it simply offended SOMEONE who probably knows that cachers have as much right to use the park as they do but still want to stop an activity that they dislike for some unspecified reason known only to the note placer.

In my perception, this is a flea on the tail attempting to wag the dog. That is why I am siding with the cachers.

If that is NOT the case, the person who left the note should go back to the cache and put hisher OFFICIAL POLICE business card in it or at least avail hisherself of the option to communicate with the cache owner through the site and arrange to meet with the owner and show him hisher ID card and badge.

Take a few deep breaths, a short walk, and delete the waypoint from your GPS. Then, move on to the next one.....

Muggles continuously steal my most expensive caches...ammo canisters. So, I've given up and started hiding crap canisters, which is a lot less fun, but cheaper and less frustrating.

You should read the thread about the guy whose caches have been taken and the thieves are basically committing extortion by sending a message via geocaching.com re: him being able to get it back if he promises to remove it to a new area. Ugh.

If it was really the police, they would of took the whole cache. Just someone being a jerk.

Yep. It's a cacher who probably wants a spot within .1 of that hide.

I'd have quietly replaced the log book and not posted a word online. I've done that several times.

Don't empower a cache maggot by letting them know they got to you. Just quietly go on as if they didn't exist and they will tire of their game quickly. :D

interesting thread. when i first was looking for some hiding spots, don't ask me why, but the thought came on me to find some areas that had some problem people hanging around them. not that there is a lot of crime here, but i thought that hiding a cache in one of those spots would draw more "good" traffic and make others find some place else to cause trouble. (i haven't done one of those hides yet)

it hasn't been brought up, but what if the culprit is loosing some business because of all of us interrupting the area? wouldn't you want to find the cause and squelch it? i'm not saying this is the case, but a possibility. it's surely not the police and it's someone with site access, whether before or after they found the cache.

just a thought

interesting thread. when i first was looking for some hiding spots, don't ask me why, but the thought came on me to find some areas that had some problem people hanging around them. not that there is a lot of crime here, but i thought that hiding a cache in one of those spots would draw more "good" traffic and make others find some place else to cause trouble. (i haven't done one of those hides yet)

it hasn't been brought up, but what if the culprit is loosing some business because of all of us interrupting the area? wouldn't you want to find the cause and squelch it? i'm not saying this is the case, but a possibility. it's surely not the police and it's someone with site access, whether before or after they found the cache.

If I understand correctly, you're thinking about hiding a cache where cachers would have to traverse an area known as a hang-out for drug dealers, prostitutes, or gays looking for a hookup? It's an interesting theory (the "good" cacher traffic would eventually drive away the "bad" traffic), but I personally don't forsee that happening. People involved in the bad traffic tend to be very territorial and are usually very willing to fight for their territory.

Who do you think would win in this situation: a family of four cachers (two adults and two kids) enter a park during a lull in business activity (no one around) and head out for the cache. All they see is just another park, maybe a little run-down. While walking, an armed group of drug dealers arrive and start a major trade a few parking spots over from their mini-van. The family steps into view just as money changes hands...

Scenario two: A lone middle-age white male is on a business trip and decides to grab a few caches instead of watching TV in his hotel room. He's preloaded several caches in his receiver, and heads to a park near his downtown hotel. Unknown to him, it's a "pickle park" (as this is a G-rated forum, you'll have to look up that term on your own). A local who knows what the park is used for sees him arrive, get out of his vehicle, look around furtively, and start down a trail. Thinking the cacher is there for the same thing he's there for, he follows him down the trail...

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not say that you should just *give* nice parks to bad people. People should fight for what's theirs. But don't let innocent out-of-town cachers get caught in the cross-fire of a local fight.

its just some watse of life playing a new game" lets mess w/ geocachers and their heads".it's obviously a joke or you would have heard more from the cops if it was real.is this the only incident or has anyone heard of it happening else where? all this complaining is really just fanning his flame while fueling the fires of his game

Why would this person say to play the game away from the park??? ...

Frequently, we have seen local people feel that they own the park. Typically, this is someone that lives within view of the park and doesn't want strangers using their park.

seems logical.

I'd join the list of people who would sign the back of the note as well. :shrug: I would probably email the owner and not even mention it in my online log, since you know the person is going to be watching the listing to see reactions.

Beautiful day for caching. Thanks for the cache. Took nothing, left golfball and happymeal toy. Replaced logbook. Thanks for the cache.

:D