Banning of GPS's

belair56

Heard on the Radio from Kingston, Ont. the Premier of Ontario is going to ban cell phones while driving, also in the proposed ban is the use of Dashboard GPS's with screens, wonder if this will effect geocaching??? Thought you should know if you're going to Canada.

My understanding is that it is not the use of the that is being banned. Just that you will have to pull over and/or enter your coordinates before you drive your car. You may conitinue to "use" them for navigation as long as you don't interact with them while driving. Probably not a bad thing.

I dunno, the idea of someone in a rental car leaving the airport with a big map unfolded across the windshield and them manually plotting their position on it seems far safer to me. :laughing:

Actually, in all seriousness, a ban of electronic devices is not even required. If you are not paying attention to the road, be it fiddling with your GPS, typing an email on your smartphone or logging caches on pencil and paper, it is called "Careless Driving" and has some rather severe penalties already.

I just hope we don't follow the California approach of banning anything that blocks the windshield (including suction cup GPS mounts). It would really suck to have to refer to my Colorado's instructions as it lays on the passenger seat.

I'm with Northern Penguin on this one. Careless Driving is basically the catch-all police use when other charges don't necessarily fit. Inattention due to fiddling with anything whilst driving would qualify.

This issue came up a few years ago and was shot down - partially due to public safety and radio amateurs IIRC arguing about use of two-way radios being in the public's best interest. I hope the same happens again. I've been a radio ham for more than 20 years and have not had an accident related to using any equipment when driving. I have however been involved in using my radio to get an ambulances after coming upon accidents.

If the premier really wants to reduce carnage on our roads banning motorcycles would be a great way to do it, but I can't see that happening! :D I live in Caledon which is popular with the motorcycling crowd. I know of one death already this year. Not aware of any Blackberry or GPS related deaths. :laughing:

I'm not anti-motorcycle BTW, just thought it was a good example.

C-A

Foolish and knee-jerk response to an already existing problem

Ban smoking in cars, since one must fiddle with the lighter, take one hand off the wheel frequently, and look even if briefly for the ashtray.

Ban cup holders in cars, since one must look to reach your drink, and check that the drink is being returned to the holder properly. If you spill it, well...

Ban stereos in cars, since one must adjust volume, change stations or CD's and look at the display to see that one is pressing the right buttons

Ban babies in cars, since the sound of crying is a distraction to driving, frequent checking of an incorrectly adjusted rear view mirror that should be on the road but is now on 'junior'

Ban passengers in cars, they tend to nag you about driving, suggest other routes, want to stop for coffee, talk constantly and might impede access to certain areas

Ban windows that open since it suggests to people that they can rest an arm out the window while driving instead of having two hands on the wheel, and bugs can fly in thus affecting driving and attention.

:laughing: BQ

In Nova Scotia there is already a ban on using Cell Phones while operation a motoer vehicle.

I have no problem with this. If Ontario goes ahead with it and a ban on all the other distracting gadgets that drivers use while driving , then GO FOR IT!!

I drive with the purpose of getting to my destination in one peice. This normally takes on a very defensive posture as I am very cautious of all the other BAD drivers around,

And I am not just talking small town Sydney NS, they are everywhere.

I have seen some rediculous things while driving, from ladies putting on make-up, people reaching for things on the floor, having eye contact conversations with passengers in the back seat(this one actually caused an accident of which my daughter was slightly injured). Lighting cigarettes, and the list goes on

Will drivers just do what they intend to do when they get behind the wheel "DRIVE"

We would all be that much more safer on these busy roads

I rant because I can!!!

Edited by stagunner

I drive with the purpose of getting to my destination in one peice. This normally takes on a very defensive posture as I am very cautious of all the other BAD drivers around,

And I am not just talking small town Sydney NS, they are everywhere.

I see horrible drivers anywhere, but let me tell you in a place like downtown Toronto I would rather the lost person following a GPS unit's instructions than the person that tried and failed to memorize the route or is working with a paper map.

I've seen way too many people on the 401 cut over 6 lanes of traffic - cutting off other drivers - at the last second when the GPS typically gives 15-30 seconds warning to be in the correct lane for exiting the freeway. I've also seen people STOP in an active traffic lane on the same highway (North America's busiest) and check their map. As much credit as we like to give people for being smart, pulling off a busy highway to check directions, there are a lot of people from smaller communities that will not leave that same highway for fear of getting REALLY lost.

A cell phone conversation requires a lot more (in)attention than GPS prompting. I understand we don't want people entering street addresses while they are in motion but it is difficult to enforce that, while it is easy to give someone a ticket for having a GPS mounted on the windshield. The one way I can agree with a cell phone ban is that one hand is unavailable for sudden maneouvers should the need arise if it is busy holding a phone to your head.

If McGuinty really wants to cut out all distractions, he can start with all those flashing ad billboards along the Gardiner Expressway, especially the ones that are so bright as to outshine the morning sunrise.

I just hope we don't follow the California approach of banning anything that blocks the windshield (including suction cup GPS mounts).

As a person who makes a living by driving I wish they would ticket everyone that has something blocking part of their windshield. I've hung even my CB mike cord in such a way that it doesn't distract from what I am looking at. Let's make a list of the things that are hung that block visibility . . . CDs hung from rear view mirror can catch any light an reflect it back into the driver's eyes. Then there is air frsheners, fuzzy dice all kinds of doodads, CB mike cords, grad tassels, cracks in windshield, enter anything you can think of ........................... . Anything that is the driver's line of sight should be banned as a distraction. Just my 2 cents.

In Quebec, they have just passed a hands free law for cellphones. A very good thing if you ask me. I also find it quite liberating to use my handsfree in the car now. I have seen studies though that point to the lack of concentration when on a phone versus the hands busy aspect of it.

stagunner, I drive 8 hours back to NB from Montreal every couple of weekends, just for the weekend, then back on Sunday. It's very hard to just "DRIVE" as you state... it can be long and tedious driving that distance. I had to do it with no music two weeks ago due to electrical issues in my car, that was SOOOO long..

What I am saying is that forever, there have been electronics in cars helping people. I'll admit they contribute to accidents, but to ban them entirely is just a silly thought altogether.

Just look at the car companies, the integration of electronics has moved up in leaps and bounds in the past few years and I don't suspect one keen premier (looking for attention)is going to alter that!!

First off, let's not overreact to a new statement that will ban hands on cell phone use. The statement by government officials only bans the use of cell phones, electronic devices and anything not developed as of yet.

That's the real kicker!!!

Exactly, and the Premier's comments about GPS were not about banning them for use but were about people entering addresses while driving. There are too many being built-in to vehicles and too many advantages (as Northern Penguin has pointed out) for a total ban of GPSs to be done. Just musing's at this point.

JD

I think we can solve a lot of problems just by making it illegal for people to be in their cars...

An immediate reduction in accidents, a reduction in fossil fuel consumption, a reduction in traffic congestion... hmmm I am on to soemthing here....

LOL

In all seriousness, I believe the only way we can actually make a difference is to have people understand why... removing everythign that may impede a drivers view sounds great, but is the sun visor really causing a lot of accidents? What about taking it to the extreme... should we make rear view mirrors illegal too, they do, after all block a portion of view through the windshield....depending on driver height and seat adjustment. I think driver education should change, what does it realistically take in order to become a licensed driver today - not really a whole lot of manditory education, and definately not a requirement or test for common sence... so why are we surprised when people do not apply either while in their cars?

What about taking it to the extreme... should we make rear view mirrors illegal too

Yes, along with excessively large A-Pillars too. This is why I'd rather ride my motorcycle.

Less distractions and crap blocking your view, more enjoyment of the ride!

I also agree that the driving tests are far to easy... Even Spike managed to get a license! That is scary...

TOMTEC

...Ban passengers in cars, they tend to nag you about driving, suggest other routes, want to stop for coffee, talk constantly and might impede access to certain areas...

:anibad: BQ

Hmmm, banning my wife from being in the car with me....dialing Mr McGuinty now to voice my approval...