Anyway to mark borders / boundaries in Mapsource?

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out a way to do this and I'm sure someone has figured it out? Seems like something LOTS of people would want to do, I just can't figure out how? What I am trying to do is be able to mark out certain plots of land, forexample private land within the National forrest. I can see it on Mapsource, so could make a route around it or track etc. but then want to be able to transfer that to my MAP 60 CSX so that when I am in the field, I can see the borders / boundaries to make sure I don't tresspass... does anyone know a good way to do this?

Also, is there a function in mapsource when you can connect your GPS to a LAPTOP computer and use the big laptop screen to show your navigation etc. I.E. just using the laptop screen instead of the little handheld one?

thanks,

biGjOhn

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out a way to do this and I'm sure someone has figured it out? Seems like something LOTS of people would want to do, I just can't figure out how? What I am trying to do is be able to mark out certain plots of land, forexample private land within the National forrest. I can see it on Mapsource, so could make a route around it or track etc. but then want to be able to transfer that to my MAP 60 CSX so that when I am in the field, I can see the borders / boundaries to make sure I don't tresspass... does anyone know a good way to do this?

I've seen this done with mapsco map segments. I think the trick was to make a transparent overlay with the boundaries drawn in. So you "see through" the overlay other than the labels and lines drawn on it.

If I am remembering correctly then perhaps this will give you something to go on.

Hello,

I've seen this done with mapsco map segments. I think the trick was to make a transparent overlay with the boundaries drawn in. So you "see through" the overlay other than the labels and lines drawn on it.

If I am remembering correctly then perhaps this will give you something to go on.

Thanks for the reply... Unfortunately I'm not real savvy with the map products "mapsco" etc. In fact, I don't know anything about them or transparrent overlays etc. way over my head. I was just hoping there was some EASY way I could mark out the private land from Nat'l forrest on my mapsource and transfer it to my GPS unit to keep myself out of trouble? Would be really cool if they added a "highlight marker" tool... So we could draw with it in mapsource and then see it out in the field...

Also, does anyone know how I can connect my GPS to my laptop and use the big screen for navigating when in the car? I.E. have the passenger working the laptop but with the detail on the big laptop screen?

thanks,

biGjOhn

Hello,

Thanks for the reply... Unfortunately I'm not real savvy with the map products "mapsco" etc. In fact, I don't know anything about them or transparrent overlays etc. way over my head. I was just hoping there was some EASY way I could mark out the private land from Nat'l forrest on my mapsource and transfer it to my GPS unit to keep myself out of trouble? Would be really cool if they added a "highlight marker" tool... So we could draw with it in mapsource and then see it out in the field...

Also, does anyone know how I can connect my GPS to my laptop and use the big screen for navigating when in the car? I.E. have the passenger working the laptop but with the detail on the big laptop screen?

thanks,

biGjOhn

Mapsco is the paper map folks.

The quick/dirty solution would be to place 20 or however many waypoints around the perimeter. Give them a distinctive icon.

As long as your zoom was set where you could see the waypoints you could be pretty sure to stay on the right side of the perimeter.

It'd be like the electric pylons on LOST; do not venture past the pylons or ZZZttt!

Hello,

Certainly. As you hinted at, in MapSource use the Tools/Track Draw utility to create a track that makes a polygon around your parcel or other boundary. Save this as a .gpx file and upload this "saved track" to your 60CSx. you can store 20 saved tracks of this type with 500 track points each. You can assign colors and name them, and view them on the map screen by checking the box "Show on Map".

Hello,

Certainly. As you hinted at, in MapSource use the Tools/Track Draw utility to create a track that makes a polygon around your parcel or other boundary. Save this as a .gpx file and upload this "saved track" to your 60CSx. you can store 20 saved tracks of this type with 500 track points each. You can assign colors and name them, and view them on the map screen by checking the box "Show on Map".

Ah Ha, thanks. I will give that a try. I tried saving them as "routes" but couldn't make them appear on my screen.

thanks,

biGjOhn

thanks,

biGjOhn

Look at the free Garmin utility called nRoute--allows you to track your position on a laptop in real-time.