What's your Colorado "Top 10"?

Garmin probably already does this based on contact to customer support, but I though it would be a good idea to do some polling on this site of the most requested features and fixes to the Colorado. I invite everyone to submit their Top 10 lists.

g-o-cashers - this would be some interesting data to add to your excellent wiki.

To try to keep this focused, please limit your feature requests to features that already exist on other units (such as the 60csx) that can be implemented to the Colorado via firmware. This thread is not intended to be a wish list for future capabilities (touch screen, etc.) which Garmin has not developed yet.

I'll start:

(1) Fix the accuracy bug reported in other threads

(2) Improve screen legibility (brighter screen or lighter color scheme)

(3) Improve battery life

(4) Custom waypoint symbols

(5) Waypoint averaging

(6) Search on map from cursor location

(7) Night mode

(8) List all waypoints

There's lots of other features that could be integrated from the 60csx, but the above is all that I really care about.

(1) Fix the accuracy bug reported in other threads -- Yes.

(2) Improve screen legibility (brighter screen or lighter color scheme) -- Yes

(3) Improve battery life -- Seems fine to me.

(4) Custom waypoint symbols -- Don't care.

(5) Waypoint averaging -- Yes

(6) Search on map from cursor location -- Not sure what this means.

(7) Night mode -- Would be nice, but not a must have.

(8) List all waypoints -- Allow the unit to list waypoints in alphabetical or numeric order *or* by proximity *or* by last used.

Easy way to turn compass off -- perhaps in compass screen?

Fix wandering issue when unit does not have perfectly clear shot at the sky. May be related to accuracy issue.

As mentioned before, being able to select a map in the profile would be nice, as would being able to turn the compass and WAAS off when not needed.

I just want map switching with profile change (Marine, Geocaching, Automotive, etc).

These are high on my list. I have no issues with the others mentioned.

I'd like to be able to enter fieldnote text for found logs while caching, even though it is a pain to use the wheel to enter text. Maybe improve text entry should be on my list as well.

1) fix the random inability to pick a particular letter or icon with the roller wheel

2) Fix the accuracy bug reported in other threads

3) Improve screen legibility (brighter screen or lighter color scheme or custom color schemes)

4) night mode

5) custom waypoint icons

6) Search on map from cursor location, i miss that functionality

1) fix the random inability to pick a particular letter or icon with the roller wheel

2) Fix the accuracy bug reported in other threads

3) Improve screen legibility (brighter screen or lighter color scheme or custom color schemes)

4) night mode

5) custom waypoint icons

6) Search on map from cursor location, i miss that functionality

I would really like to see the soft keys and enter key operate correctly. It's annoying when they don't act as expected. You are never quite sure what results you'll get...

(1) Fix the accuracy bug reported in other threads i.e jumping to high numbers for accuracy, track logs being way off etc.

(2) Fix the GPS instability when near the cache, Maybe averaging woiuld help this

(3) Being able to delete archived tracks (waypoints, etc) on the Colorado itself

(4) Waypoint averaging

(5) Going to a location on a regular map screen using Whereto, and having access to 3D view, etc. i.e to inspect the layout of a location you may want to travel to (I have not figured out how to do this yet on the Colorado)

The GPS accuracy and GPS instability issues are most important to me. Sli23sli

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Garmin probably already does this based on contact to customer support, but I though it would be a good idea to do some polling on this site of the most requested features and fixes to the Colorado. I invite everyone to submit their Top 10 lists.

g-o-cashers - this would be some interesting data to add to your excellent wiki.

To try to keep this focused, please limit your feature requests to features that already exist on other units (such as the 60csx) that can be implemented to the Colorado via firmware. This thread is not intended to be a wish list for future capabilities (touch screen, etc.) which Garmin has not developed yet.

I'll start:

(1) Fix the accuracy bug reported in other threads

(3) Improve battery life

(4) Custom waypoint symbols

(5) Waypoint averaging

(7) Night mode

(8) List all waypoints

There's lots of other features that could be integrated from the 60csx, but the above is all that I really care about.

I really don't know much about "ANT" technology, or how robust it is, so would a fold-up

keyboard similar to the Bluetooth keyboards for PDAs be feasible?

Norm

That's a slick idea.

I would be happy if they would just change the scrolling around the circle to pick letters/numbers to a traditional style layout for letters/numbers.

I would be happy if they would just change the scrolling around the circle to pick letters/numbers to a traditional style layout for letters/numbers.

Or at least reverse the scroll direction. I'm used to rotating a dial to move the dial to a new entry, not moving the entries to a point on the dial. I've had the Colorado for about 3 weeks now and every time I try to enter something when it shows the circular entry I start going the wrong way and then have to backtrack. I'm thinking "which way do I turn the dial to make the dial move to that icon over there" rather than "which way do I want the icons to move so that the one I want is at the top".

I don't think I have a problem in the cases where I turn the dial to scroll through a list, though. The problem only happens when I have a picture of the dial and a bunch of choices hovering over it like the shortcuts and the number/letter entry.

Or at least the option to reverse it for those who think the other way if I'm not in the majority here...

Better graphics might help too. If they made the picture of the dial encompass the icons/letters/numbers then my brain my believe that the entries will move in the direction that I move the dial, but the way it is drawn looks too much like the old TVs where you turned the knob and the channel numbers remained stationary...

In addition to the ones I've seen so far here are 20 more to round out my top 10 list. :D

1. Remember backlight settings across power cycles

2. Add the ability to add legs/stages to a geocache in the field

3. Fix the issue with fast timers/stopwatch

4. Fix Alkaline battery life -- I'm okay with the current NiMH battery life of 8-12 hrs

5. Warn me when I enter a duplicate waypoint name, rather than ignoring it.

6. Ability to save geocaches as waypoints (so I can see found geocaches in current.gpx)

7. All newly created waypoints should be added to Recent Finds

8. Fix the problem which causes track segments to be joined on map page

9. Give geocaches the same capabilities as waypoints (find near, recent finds, add to route, etc)

10. Fix the garbled text in some geocache descriptions

11. Add "prompted" guidance method (on-road or off road)

12. Display multiple tracks on map with different colors for each segment

13. Display turn-alerts regardless of the page I'm looking at

14. Allow me to use Topo maps in Mapsource for trip planning

15. Search and delete waypoints by symbol

16. Display waypoint/geocache symbols in all list views

17. Provide auto-on compass trip point speed setting

18. Dedicated compass on/off button (or at least provide the option on the compass page)

19. Make the alarm tones work regardless of the other audio settings

20. Support a boot screen with personal information

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

1. Add the ability to street route to a geocache, and auto switch to point-to-point when leaving the nearest road to the cache.

2. Display warning or automatically disable compass if batteries changed without recalibrating the compass.

3. Automatically disable compass when using street routing, or correct problem where screen often displays where you have been instead of where you are going during slow or stopped traffic.

4. Add ability to "drop all geocaches" or manage active GPX files, so I can load new caches using a PDA Phone in the field. This may already happen but I'm not sure. For example, if I load 2000 caches into the Colorado, and end up in a new area it would be great to just drop a new GPX file with 500 caches on the SD Card and carry on. Handy for long road trips.

My top 10 list consists of all software features (that is, a firmware update could fix them), most of which have already been mentioned, from least to most important:

10. Search for waypoints/caches from a point when panning the map.

9. Custom waypoint symbols, and put in the missing cache icons (APE, earthcache, etc).

8. Ability to disable the shutdown prompt when external power is lost.

7. Remember my backlight settings (both when etxernally powered and on battery).

6. Show the entire cache description, logs, and hint on one continuous page instead of three.

5. Add ability to pull up a cache description without automatically stopping the current turn-by-turn navigation.

4. Add items to the "recent finds" list more often, such as waypoints/map points that are selected by panning the map and clicking on them.

3. Prompt for "follow road" or "off road" navigation when navigating to a cache or waypoint.

2. Show distance from current location to pointer when panning map.

1. Enter text using a 60-series style grid instead of the text wheel. This is my number one gripe with the Colorado. I pretty much summed up my opinion on it (okay, so I kept it family friendly, but that definitely was a challenge! :D ) in a Colorado review that I wrote on the MSGA forum:

Text entry with the click wheel is torturous. The Colorado has the hardware that would allow for a text entry/character selection box like on the 60 series, but instead you have to scroll through the entire alphabet in one huge loop (yes, even the upper and lower case letters, and symbols) to enter text. It's like getting rid of your touch-tone phone and going back to a rotary one- but many times worse. In fact, a few years from now I fully expect to see it listed on some Cnet "Top 10 worst user interface devices of all time" list. I'm convinced that whoever the software engineer was who designed that feature should be forced to use it to compose a 500-word essay on why they should not be fired from their job. I'm serious about that- it's that bad.

Probably not exactly what you want but this is a partial solution.

GO$Rs

Yes, that is the method I currently use, it would just me nice to remove some clicks.

Profile change -> Automotive -> Whereto -> Geocaches -> GCXXXX -> Goto Location -> Profile Change -> Geocaching -> Geocaches -> GCXXXX seems like a whole lot of work just to be able to call up the cache description / ability to log the cache when I should just be able to say Profile -> Automotive -> Geocaches -> GCXXXX and then Profile Change -> Geocaching when I arrive (or way smart, flip over automagically when I stop driving and start moving at walking speeds away from the road).

I really don't know much about "ANT" technology, or how robust it is, so would a fold-up

keyboard similar to the Bluetooth keyboards for PDAs be feasible?

Norm

That's a slick idea.

I'd second the request to allow the scroll wheel to pick symbols by clicking up and down,right and left, like on the Vista or 60csx. I don't believe this should be that hard as the rocker wheel can do this for other menu selection items.

scrolling through all the letters is too cumbersome.

Waypoint averaging would be nice also.

Otherwise, I have not experienced ( perhaps,YET) some of the issues others report. I am satisfied with the accuracy. And, as a geocaching tool, the paperless aspect is very nice.

Agree with most of the above. IMHO, accuracy should be #1 on the list. Also, Garmin's suggestion to use Lithium batteries to extend battery life is not exactly environment friendly. Text entry with the wheel just plain sucks. Give us an on screen keyboard that can be navigated using the up/down/left/right of the rocker. Ability to turn off the Temperature sensors - no point in drawing power, as the accuracy is complete rubbish and heavily affected by the unit temperature (i.e. longer it is on, hotter unit gets, higher the air temperature).

Wouldn't mind seeing the ability to load more map files (personally find it more convenient to load different map files for different regions, and also when creating/validating maps, it is helpful to have different versions to check. This is available on other units (using filenames GMAPSUP1.img GMAPSUP2.img, etc.).

Wouldn't mind seeing the ability to load more map files (personally find it more convenient to load different map files for different regions, and also when creating/validating maps, it is helpful to have different versions to check. This is available on other units (using filenames GMAPSUP1.img GMAPSUP2.img, etc.).

I haven't personally tried this, but would it be possible to load different map sets onto different SD cards, and just swap out the cards when you wanted to change maps? I know it's a hardware solution, not a software one, but it would achieve the same effect.

So upping the limit from 2025 segments to 5000-6000 segments wasnt enough for you or maybe I just dont understand exactly what you are trying to do.

I haven't personally tried this, but would it be possible to load different map sets onto different SD cards, and just swap out the cards when you wanted to change maps? I know it's a hardware solution, not a software one, but it would achieve the same effect.

Works like a charm. I just did this when I headed to Allegany for the Geobash. I had my Canadian Topo maps on the SD Card, and when I hit the border, I popped that card out and put in the National Parks East TOPO24 product and I didn't even have to restart the GPS.

Mind you, once I got to Allegany I actually didn't bother with the Topo24 map as the topo provided on my 400t was plenty good for me and gave me that wonderful DEM shading.

Two related issues for me:

Make all cache waypoints geocaches rather than waypoints so multis can be handled from one screen

Allow the addition of waypoints to be clasified as caches manually for multis in the field.

At the moment I have to keep flicking backwards and forwards to get cache descriptions, hints, etc when I do multis, which seems an odd oversight on Garmin's part.

In addition to the ones I've seen so far here are 20 more to round out my top 10 list. :anibad:

1. Remember backlight settings across power cycles

2. Add the ability to add legs/stages to a geocache in the field

3. Fix the issue with fast timers/stopwatch

4. Fix Alkaline battery life -- I'm okay with the current NiMH battery life of 8-12 hrs

5. Warn me when I enter a duplicate waypoint name, rather than ignoring it.

6. Ability to save geocaches as waypoints (so I can see found geocaches in current.gpx)

7. All newly created waypoints should be added to Recent Finds

8. Fix the problem which causes track segments to be joined on map page

9. Give geocaches the same capabilities as waypoints (find near, recent finds, add to route, etc)

10. Fix the garbled text in some geocache descriptions

11. Add "prompted" guidance method (on-road or off road)

13. Display turn-alerts regardless of the page I'm looking at

14. Allow me to use Topo maps in Mapsource for trip planning

15. Search and delete waypoints by symbol

16. Display waypoint/geocache symbols in all list views

17. Provide auto-on compass trip point speed setting

18. Dedicated compass on/off button (or at least provide the option on the compass page)

19. Make the alarm tones work regardless of the other audio settings

20. Support a boot screen with personal information

GO$Rs

I love this list! I've had most of those problems that I would love to have fixed, especially numbers 2,6,7,9 ,15 and 20.

Thanks,

DrPerp

It is difficult to reconcile all of these requests, but these appear to be the top 10 requests so far, more or less in order of popularity:

1. Improve text entry (add option to enter text by grid)

2. Improve accuracy, reduce wandering, elminate compass instability near cache (at least on par with 60csx or eTrex Hcx)

3. Search on map from cursor location

4. Assign specific maps to specific profiles

5. Improve screen legibility (brighter screen or lighter color scheme)

6. Improve waypoint management (list all, list by proximity, add newly created to Recent Finds, etc.)

7. Waypoint averaging

8. Custom waypoint symbols

9. Night mode (tie)

10. Remember backlight settings (tie)

11. Show distance from cursor to current location when panning map (tie)

Some of these have been mentioned before, others haven't.

1) More than 2 data fields on the map screen.

2) Add distance option when doing finds near current route (like on the iQue and StreetPilot 2xxx series).

3) Add a setting for the zoom scale to switch from track up to north up on for the map screen (like on the iQue, 60csx, and others). I normally like to have the unit in track up mode, but like panning to be north up. On other units this is solved by setting track up when the scale is under .8 miles, then when I want to pan I just zoom out a bit until it switches to north up and then pan. It still works this way on the Colorado but it doesn't switch to north up until you zoom out to the basemap level which isn't nearly soon enough. At the very least add an option to the map screen to easily switch between north up and track up.

4) As others have mentioned have an alternate method of text entry. I really liked someone's idea of three concentric circles, one for upper case letters, one for lower case letters, and one for numbers and symbols, you would use the directional part of the rock & roller to highlight the active ring.

5) Menu option on compass page to turn compass on/off.

6) All settings should profile specific, no exceptions. The profiles become somewhat useless when I want one profile to have certain settings that are global (for instance what map is displayed and the compass setting). Could allow the user to pick what settings should be global and/or when changing some options that Garmin feels should be global ask if the change should be made globally or not.

7) Trip computer stats should be kept separate for each profile and not be global.

8) When you have a current route active two shortcuts appear, detour and stop route. These should be options for the active route screen, not shortcuts. If Garmin insists on them being shortcuts then they should allow for them to be put in the "Others" category and the order in which they are displayed be changed just like any of the other shortcuts.

9) If there is no current route active a dialog should not appear (which requires dismissal by selecting ok) saying that there is no route active when selecting the current route shortcut. This becomes a problem when you setup the unit to page through the shortcuts by pressing the soft key instead of using the wheel. If there is no active route but you have the shortcut for it in your list then you get stuck on the dialog and have to hit the select button before you can use the soft key to go to the next screen.

10) Most pictures are taken in landscape mode, but the picture viewer displays them in portrait mode. If the width of the picture is wider than the height, then display it in landscape mode. Also add an option to rotate the image.

Probably not exactly what you want but this is a partial solution.

GO$Rs

Yes, that is the method I currently use, it would just me nice to remove some clicks.

Profile change -> Automotive -> Whereto -> Geocaches -> GCXXXX -> Goto Location -> Profile Change -> Geocaching -> Geocaches -> GCXXXX seems like a whole lot of work just to be able to call up the cache description / ability to log the cache when I should just be able to say Profile -> Automotive -> Geocaches -> GCXXXX and then Profile Change -> Geocaching when I arrive (or way smart, flip over automagically when I stop driving and start moving at walking speeds away from the road).

Why do you switch profiles? If I need street routing to the geocache, I select go to location. It then autoroutes me to the cache. When I get close to the cache, I wheel to geocache and the one I am looking for comes up and I select it. Simple and easy.

My number one request.

Ditto for me too!

Regarding showing distance while panning, I asked Garmin about that.

It shows if you press <ENTER>

However, it doesn't show the bearing!

Pressing <Enter> again gives navigation line.

So upping the limit from 2025 segments to 5000-6000 segments wasnt enough for you or maybe I just dont understand exactly what you are trying to do.

Yup, I can combine all the maps into a single img file. However, the resulting close to 1GB file took around an hour to finally generate and upload to the 400t (thanks for the USB1.x Garmin :) ). What I would have preferred is being able to generate separate files (i.e. smaller, easily managed, etc.). Yes, can store them on different SD cards, but the use of SD card just adds to the battery performance issue. Forgot to add one other the other day - ability to 'wrap' when scrolling - PITA when you have lots of waypoints and the one you want starts with a Y or a Z - would be great to scroll up from the A's straight to Z

Just a few for me so far, I found using 2500mah batteries a big help on battery life.

1,Able to view geocache description from main map page whilst in geocaching mode

2,Audiable proximity alerts

3,improve colours & brightness

3,Prompt for "follow road" or "off road" navigation when navigating to a cache or waypoint.

Edited by davekaye