"Oh YAY! It's a......"

:anibad: What kind thing happens when you are out hunting that makes you think YAY!!? The other thread is all about the stuff that you hate but how about a thread about what you like?

1. I love ammo containers. Why? Because it took effort. Effort to fill, effort to hide, effort to purchase. When I come across a container that is camoed I know that person wanted to make my hunt fun. Not only did I have to look but when I got to it, it was interesting. Not just some tiny piece of paper.

2. I am loving the fact that I am finding parks I never knew existed. That I see flowers, baby ducks and beautiful views. I appreciate those hunts.

3. I appreciate the DNF's that end up being a adventure. I just had one of these yesterday where I ended up walking around a mountain on accident. Oh I cursed the hider pretty darn good as I was climbing up but once I finally got back to the car I felt great. I would NEVER have made that walk before learning about Geocaching.

4. I love a large log book. I enjoy sitting down and reading the logs. Even if it is just signatures. It is interesting to me.

5. Clever hides. I love coming across something that makes you think. We found a birdhouse that had a lock on it. We had to figure out how to get it open. That was one of the most fun hunts of the day.

What about you?

Edited by Hellolost

Regular or large containers. I love looking through the swag for something cool. Finding rubber duckies or pins to add to my collection, or bouncy balls to add to my hubby's collection.

Finding a new pretty area, parks I've never visited or haven't taken the time to visit in a long time, pretty drives. The other day we went for FTF on a cache that was out in the country a ways, off the beaten path a nice bit but some really pretty areas to drive by.

A well-hidden cache thats in a nice place, not some trash-strewn ravine, or a micro thats not a match container tie-wrapped to a tree limb. Also, a cache that doesn't require going somewhere in a park or business area where its obvious visitors shouldn't be.

I like caches that get me out, preferably with my dog, for a good hike in the woods. The more scenery the better!

I like caches that are creatively camoflaged, not simply stuck under a pile of firewood. Making use of existing items or terrain show the hider has thought about the hide, and wanted to make it enjoyable.

I like anything creative and different, something that makes me say "What a good idea! That is a very cool hiding place/interesting container/awesome story behind it/etc. I like being taken to cool places I didn't know existed, or that are pretty and scenic. I like anything that looks like there's work and thought behind it, rather than way too easy caches where it's obvious it was thrown together in a few minutes.

"Oh YAY! It's a hike in the woods." My better half and I have been camping and hiking in all of the lower 48 states for 31 years now. We like to camp in national and state parks for a few days and do several day hikes. We traveled like this with our four kids even when they were less than a year old and were carried in a baby carrier on my back. After having said this, the most interesting and surprising thing about geocaching is the discovery of oodles of hiking trails in urban areas around my home that I never knew existed. Our favorite day of caching involves a hike of 3-5 miles on trails that have caches every half mile or so. Two days ago we were on a trail near a creek and we had to crawl across a log on our hands and knees to get to an island to find the cache. That was a satisfying find!!! Another favorite of mine was a lonely film can tied to a magnolia tree at the end of a one mile trail that hadn't been visited in a year. We will do the "magnetic keyholders on the guardrails" and "film cans in trees near the mall" caches if we are in the area, but those are not the type of caches that keep us interested in this game. We will walk away from a "pill bottle in a bush in front of a fast food restaurant" cache most of the time. When we do resort to those, you can hear me muttering "I hate bush caches." I am anxiously awaiting a road trip this summer that gets me back into the mountains and forests and on the hiking trails.