76CSx vs Vista HCX & Colorado 300

Crid

I've had a Garmin 76CSx for about a year now and really like it. I've been creating map files using data from OpenStreetMap and the mkgmap utility. That, plus GSAK has made for a pretty good geocaching experience.

Now I'm contemplating buying a second GPS unit. It's partly so that I can go geocaching with a friend or my girlfriend and we have a GPS each, partly so that I can have one GPS for geocaching and one for mapping (except when I want to geocache with a friend), and partly sheer technolust (new techy toy).

The Vista HCX seems to be similarly featured to my 76CSx, but in a smaller form (although with less buttons) and a similar price to what I paid for my 76CSx. The Colorado seems to still be going through a few teething problems and is also quite a bit more expensive (about half as much again).

I've heard some talk of the Colorado missing a few features that owners of the 60/76 range have been used to. Can anybody tell me what these features are and if I'm likely to be bothered by their absence? Is the Colorado really worth the extra money? (I currently use an iPod for paperless caching).

I've heard some talk of the Colorado missing a few features that owners of the 60/76 range have been used to. Can anybody tell me what these features are and if I'm likely to be bothered by their absence? Is the Colorado really worth the extra money? (I currently use an iPod for paperless caching).

A CO vs. 60csx comparison but it should work for the 76csx as well:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+60csx

GO$Rs

A CO vs. 60csx comparison but it should work for the 76csx as well:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+60csx

GO$Rs

Wow, I had been considering getting a Colorado, but not after looking at that comparison. It doesn't have a lot of key features that my 60CSX has.

Wow, I had been considering getting a Colorado, but not after looking at that comparison. It doesn't have a lot of key features that my 60CSX has.

Yeah, my reaction was similar. Any Colorado owners care to try to persuade us that it's worth the extra money?

Well I bit the bullet today and ordered a Colorado 300. Should (hopefully) arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. I do like the look of the geocaching side of it.

I ordered one a week ago and tried it out this past weekend and I love it.

Storm180

Well I bit the bullet today and ordered a Colorado 300. Should (hopefully) arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. I do like the look of the geocaching side of it.

I ordered one a week ago and tried it out this past weekend and I love it.

Storm180

I bought a 300 from Wal mart 2 weeks ago. An d played with it etc. loaded some maps I've learned from this group (thanks guys).

I found GPS CITY prices were cheaper ($80 less :rolleyes: ) and they wouldn't match it. So after plying with the 300, and reading the pro's and con's here, i decided I could 'live' with it (gotta start somewhere eh?)

So I plan on returning the wal mart unit and I ordered one from GPS City on Friday and it was here Monday AM.

Both units are on my desk and turned on. Right now the first unit has 4 m accuracy and the second has 10 m accuracy. The second is looking at less satalites (9) then the first (12) . naturally the accuracy is changing. but the first says it's more accurate then the second.

The longer this goes on I see that the second has become more accurate.

So question do units need to be in operation in an area for a period of time before they improve?

FYI I also checked the back lite levels and found them to be the same.

So far I'm liking it. My first impression was that the screen was quite a bit darker than the 76CSx and small roads were barely visible when driving. But once I turned off the base map (I'm using map data from OpenStreetMap), things were a lot better. (The green of the base map wasn't giving much contrast, whereas a white background is better).

I really like the geocaching options. Also looks pretty easy to load geocaches. I've also discovered that I can load my OSM map data into the internal memory AND have a City Navigator map SD card in the unit. I can't have both maps at the same time, but I can swap between the two without having to pop the SD card out. (The OSM maps have more footpaths, bridleways, etc, whereas the City Navigator map doesn't have them by the looks of it).

It's a nice robust looking unit. Smaller than the 76 but with a bigger screen (same width, but taller). The User Interface does seem a bit longwinded compared to the 76 because there are less buttons. And some things seem to be in odd places in the menu (eg. to toggle tracking you have to go into setup, then tracks). No doubt I'll get used to it in time - my opinions are going to be shaped by the fact that I'm familiar with the 76.

Edited by Crid