Does Geocaching attract Grumpy Old Farts?

julebear

I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of rude comments by grumpy old farts. They're either complaining about the site of the cache, type of cache, condition of cache, whatever.... If they own a cache and someone criticizes their cache, they have a rude comment back. If they've tried to find a cache and can't find it, then it's the owner's fault. If a cache wasn't placed just right, then they complain about that. And so on... Have they forgotten that geocaching is just a game? Not a competition to get the most caches. As I read the logs lately, it seems the retired men are really very grumpy. Hope this is just a few isolated cases.

I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of rude comments by grumpy old farts. They're either complaining about the site of the cache, type of cache, condition of cache, whatever.... If they own a cache and someone criticizes their cache, they have a rude comment back. If they've tried to find a cache and can't find it, then it's the owner's fault. If a cache wasn't placed just right, then they complain about that. And so on... Have they forgotten that geocaching is just a game? Not a competition to get the most caches. As I read the logs lately, it seems the retired men are really very grumpy. Hope this is just a few isolated cases.

The number of grumpy old farts is probably no greater then the number of "me generation" people who are self centered and like to whine about everything. Personally I'd rather listen to someone be a little grumpy then to listen to someone whine about everything.

There are a few cache hiders I would like to punch in the, well lets just say it's out of bounds in boxing, but I mean it in a loving way. I think the problem is they are not angry at the the owner, but angry at them selves for not being able to find it and they may be transferring that to the owner. Personally I suck sometimes at finding a cache while others I have cached with can spot it in seconds.

If someone complains about a cache and gives specific reasons like it being placed in a pile of trash, out back of a girl's school, or something that would truly make the cache unpleasant for 99.9% of the finders then they may have a point. Keep in mind my examples may or may not reflect 99.9% of the finders.

If someone complains solely because a cache does not fall into the narrow belief of what they perceive caching should be, then just ignore them. The odds may be good they do that to other caches as well.

Go by what the majority of the finders say, and that will give the answer.

Always remember, if I want to punch you down there, it means I really enjoyed the hide, and the owner is just pure evil.

As a side note, I did get to meet goldsnoop, and I shook his hand and passed on the punching. His caches are awesome.

I've been finding I enjoy caching more when I pay no attention to what other cachers say. Don't read the logs and if a thread in the forum goes more than 3 pages then 99% of the time don't read those either.

For something that's supposed to be a game and supposed to be something we do for fun/as a hobby people certainly get worked up over it.

The number of grumpy old farts is probably no greater then the number of "me generation" people who are self centered and like to whine about everything. Personally I'd rather listen to someone be a little grumpy then to listen to someone whine about everything.

Exactly....

Old guys rule!!!!!

Geocaching is an activity done for fun(most of the time) and the level of fun is dependant on two things.

1. The finders attitude toward the activity.

2. The hiders ability to bring the cacher to someplace interesting or challenge the finder.

The finders could strike out on ten caches and still come away satisfied if their attitude is right and the hider did well picking the spots and describing the caches.

One grumpy comment is a poor attitude. More than that and maybe its a poor hide.

I almost stopped Geocaching due to the grumpy old farts around here. They know it all and seem to have the desire to try and demonstrate that thru their posts. I stopped going to geocaching events so I wouldn't have to put up with them. Now the wife, the kids and I just don't bother talking or associating with them. It's really too bad that some people are like that.

I went to one of my geocaches to fix it as there was a post saying the log was full. When I got there, my daughter ran ahead and I see she is making a strange face. I am thinking of the cache is lost. It was hidden behind a sign. She comes to the car and says someone wrote on the sign Max and Echo July 9, 2013 and then an arrow pointing to the cache with the words Lame Cache.

I was really upset by that! My daughter matter of fact says mom don;t let them get you down they are just negative people.

I was wondering though if many others have had experience with people putting down the cache that you have hidden? I find that so rude. We tried to wipe off the words but I need some graffiti remover I guess and I moved the cache to the other corner of the sign. The cache was a chewed up rubber gum with log book inside.

Try a quick shot of OFF! bug spray or similar. Not too much, you have to feel it out depending on what you are trying to remove... Too much will take paint etc. as well as the graffiti. Start light, wipe with a rag or paper towel, sometimes a spray of Mr. Clean and water will help. I've used it on indelible felt marker ink and paint.

I do admit to some over kill at first, but once you get the hang of it it can be quite useful. I was in a campground maintenance stint when I first heard about the method. Just remember try a small bit at a time in a less marked area first. Sometimes spraying on the rag/towel first will do small spots. Don't scrub to much or it will affect any finish you want to keep. There are lots of test locations that aren't that critical to practice on. Good luck!

Doug 7rxc

Try a quick shot of OFF! bug spray or similar. Not too much, you have to feel it out depending on what you are trying to remove... Too much will take paint etc. as well as the graffiti. Start light, wipe with a rag or paper towel, sometimes a spray of Mr. Clean and water will help. I've used it on indelible felt marker ink and paint.

I do admit to some over kill at first, but once you get the hang of it it can be quite useful. I was in a campground maintenance stint when I first heard about the method. Just remember try a small bit at a time in a less marked area first. Sometimes spraying on the rag/towel first will do small spots. Don't scrub to much or it will affect any finish you want to keep. There are lots of test locations that aren't that critical to practice on. Good luck!

Doug 7rxc

Thanks I will try that. It is on the back of the sign so there isn't any paint just the plain steel. I appreciate your response.

:) Christine