TICKS!

I returned a couple days ago from a geocaching adventure only to find that I picked up a couple hitchhikers. These are the original "travel bugs". None of them were attached thank goodness. But I was driving home and one was in my drink I had left in the car so it had to have crawled off of me. Second one was discovered as soon as I walked in the door and took off my shoes, I saw it on my wrist. That prompted me to kinda expedite the trip to the shower lol. So, I took a shower and did a good ol tick search. No more travel bugs found or logged thank goodness!

In terms of insect repellant or tick awareness, what are some good ideas to keep these little suckers off you? I'm an avid hiker and know it comes with the territory of the woods but only when I started geocaching did they really start jumping on me. This comes, I'm sure, from walk through the brush. Following a GPS to a geocache usually involves walking in straight lines or something along those lines. So I know they get on to me when I go through the thick of it. Just wondering if I should suck it up, or there is some miracle DEET out there...or both.

:ph34r:

You'll get lots of good responses but this year I've consolidated my method to this:

1) Spray ankles, torso (where shirt meets pants) neck and arms with at least 40% DEET.

2) Spray boots, socks, pant legs and backpack with permethrin (I use Permanone from KMart)

So far this year I've had zero ticks or chiggers attached and very few crawling on me.

I have used Bugskinz previously but not so far this year. I take my clothes off right away but make sure the animals can't get near them. I still take a shower and do close inspection right away.

The main thing for me is, JUST DO IT!! I've been known to take shortcuts if I'm "only" going a short distance for a short time. Big mistake!

Yep it is that time of year. Ticks are more active in the months of May-July. Vigilance is your best weapon. (I just got back from a geocache run and found one blood sucker crawling it's way up my leg. So I decided to do a bit of research on them.) As many 'experts' will tell you. DEET is effective. But what works well is; Long sleeves, long pants, tuck pant legs into your socks. Generally just leave as little skin exposed as possible. (This doesn't work so well for me, as I can't stand to run around 100+ deg temps in long sleeves/pants.) And there are notes about staying in the middle of 'established' trails. (Completely worthless tip for geocaching, as you never find a cache ON the trail.) Because the way ticks find their next host, is by climbing atop a plant, and waiting for an animal to brush against them, so they can grab on, and hitch a ride. So if you can, cover exposed skin, use DEET, and inspect yourself when you get home. Or avoid the woods. :ph34r:

I did not find much use for DEET in my fight against ticks. Permethrine however works like a charm. It also is awesome against those German horse mosquitos we have over here...you cannot buy it here in human usage products....I used to bring a few bottles with me from the US back when I lived there (horse repellant) and we simply sprayed first the horses than us.

I now found it in an household use insecticide and use that...since then no more ticks.

Oh, also, wear light clothes...and look at yourself from time to time. :anibad:

I returned a couple days ago from a geocaching adventure only to find that I picked up a couple hitchhikers. These are the original "travel bugs". None of them were attached thank goodness. But I was driving home and one was in my drink I had left in the car so it had to have crawled off of me. Second one was discovered as soon as I walked in the door and took off my shoes, I saw it on my wrist. That prompted me to kinda expedite the trip to the shower lol. So, I took a shower and did a good ol tick search. No more travel bugs found or logged thank goodness!

In terms of insect repellant or tick awareness, what are some good ideas to keep these little suckers off you? I'm an avid hiker and know it comes with the territory of the woods but only when I started geocaching did they really start jumping on me. This comes, I'm sure, from walk through the brush. Following a GPS to a geocache usually involves walking in straight lines or something along those lines. So I know they get on to me when I go through the thick of it. Just wondering if I should suck it up, or there is some miracle DEET out there...or both.

:laughing:

My boys and I have gotten used to finding ticks - not that we like them. I've had to pull three off one of my kids "bathing suit area" and two off my own - as well as over 10 from backs, shoulders, thighs, and ankles... (We had our first experience with ticks 2 months ago when we were camping/geocaching - I'd never seen one before that, possibly because I'm from another area and only recently moved here.)

I did a lot of reading and actually saw that DEET was not a great idea - but that you can find tick repellant - Check out this site

http://tickencounter.org/education/dogtick

Now every time we cache - even if we're not in the woods or tall grass - we walk in the front door, strip to our underwear and check each other other. Then each boy goes to check the rest of himself and I check the 2 year old and myself.

Also - be sure you light those suckers on fire and wash them down the toilet or the sink - I once washed one down the sink with hot water - 2 hours later went in to wash my face and found it crawling out of the sink. Clearly water doesn't kill them.

Edited by singlemomnova

Uck! This thread is making me itch just reading it! The ticks were out in full force in Northern California last weekend. I actually saw 2 and heard stories about several others.(ticks are my huge phobia, I'd rather encounter spiders and snakes ANY DAY!) I was using good old back woods Off, it seemed to work ok for me! I'm just glad I'm from a place that they don't generally live!

I've been researching this topic since last weekend (three ticks, none attached)

http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

Permethrin Repellents

The DOD Chemical Protection System: The Department of Defense (DoD) utilizes a system of two chemical components in conjunction with the field dress uniform. The EPA approved components of this system include the insecticide permethrin and the insect repellent deet (N, N-diethyl-m-tiluarnide) in concentrations less than 33%.

Note: Not all permethrin is blended for the purpose of bonding to fabric. Most permethrin is agricultural which is for pest control on vegetation. Its design purpose is to stick to plants thus protecting the plants. Veterinary products are designed to adhere to animal skins/hair or premises and are not for fabric application. Some permethrin is formulated for treatment of medical conditions such as head lice and scabies. The formulations are not interchangeable mostly because of solvents utilized. Always refer to manufacturers label and use instructions.

Permethrin is virtually non-toxic to humans and no systemic effects have been reported. In EPA and FDA tests, it was uncommon to have any skin reddening, rash or other irritation. When used as a repellent, permethrin is applied to exterior clothing where it dries and bonds to the cloth fiber. This water-based formula is non-staining, odorless and has exceptional resistance to degradation by sunlight (UV), heat and water. Although permethrin is approved for skin application under certain circumstances such as head lice formulas, it is not applied to skin as a repellent. Permethrin does not bond to skin (stick) and is quickly deactivated by skin's esterase action into inactive compounds. Because of these attributes permethrin offers no repellent benefit on skin. It is only effective when used as a clothing treatment. Deactivation of permethrin on skin occurs in approximately 20 minutes, When placed on clothing it will last 2 to 6 weeks (even up to 1 year with special application) and will even last through weekly launderings. With the long history of success permethrin has achieved, it is best not to second guess these extraordinary results. By following the directions provided on the product you can be assured of results that achieve protection at or near 100%. Any variation of instructions that indicate using less permethrin on clothing will result in diminished performance. Follow the direction exactly and you will be amazed at the performance of this product.

Permethrin Mosquito Tests: The early history of permethrin development involved tests on mosquitoes conducted by the US Army and Air Force. Tests showed that when lightweight uniforms were treated until moist (approximately 3 ounces) the permethrin alone (0. 5% solution) gave 97.7% protection from mosquitoes and 99.9% protection when used in combination with deet (33% solution). Two detergent washings did not diminish mosquito repellent and killing action of permethrin-treated uniforms.

An interesting side note: The effectiveness of permethrin can be shown in the following report highlight that was reported in a very matter of fact statement. During testing in the Everglades, "Mosquitoes were also repelled because of the side-stream effect caused by numerous treated uniforms within the same general location. This required that the test site be moved to locate more mosquitoes!" Now that's performance . . .

Permethrin Tick Tests: Test on ticks conducted in Massachusetts concluded that 100% protection was provided against the Deer tick (Ixodes Scapularis) which is the primary vector of Lyme disease in the Midwest and Northeast. The same outstanding results occurred when testing the Western Black Legged tick, Lone Star tick, American Dog tick and Brown Dog tick. Similar results have been found with other tick species throughout the United States and Europe. Two detergent washings did not diminish repellent killing action of permethrin-treated uniforms. In tests, ticks that crossed only 10 inches of treated fabric fell from the uniform, later dying due to this limited exposure.

Note: Military application of permethrin (Permethrin Arthropod Repellent) varies from civilian application in that 4.5 ounces are applied to the uniform and the remaining contents of the 6 ounce container used to treat mosquito netting. The difference in application also results in increased protection. It is specified that "reapply after six weeks and sixth laundering." The additional 1.5 ounces doubled the 2 to 3 week protection realized from the civilian application of 3 ounces. Full protection is realized by use of permethrin AND application of standard issue repellent approved for skin application (3M Ultrathon)

DEET (N, N-.diethyl-m-tiluamide): is an approved repellent for skin application. Exposure to high concentrations of deet can pose some limited health hazards. At the time concentrations of 33% as provided in the 3M Ultrathon product were chosen by the U.S. Military for its superior performance and high margin of safety. Up until the 3M Ultrathon was chosen the military had been using a 100% deet. It was uncomfortable to wear and easily damaged certain materials synthetic and plastics. Since the 3M Ultrathon introduction, some new developments have been made using deet in special micro encapsulated formulas that have tested quite well and last up to 20 hours between applications against certain insect species. Deet-based products are available in a wide variety of formulas that can address the very specific needs of the individual traveler, outdoors person, family member and even young children. Specific blends with other repellents to repel biting flies are called composites, while others formulas have been added to sunscreen for convenient dual-purpose application.

Early research on deet showed that performance dropped off when concentrations of 35% or higher were tested. As an example, if a 30% deet concentration offers satisfactory repellent action for four hours, an assumption that a 60% deet would last eight hours is not correct. The 60% product may only last about 5 hours. In the use of standard deet formulas, it is more effective to use lower concentrations of deet with more frequent application than to assume the higher concentrations to be longer lasting. They are not. Most brand-name deet-based products already have a deet range from 15% to 33%. Once the threat of insect/tick bite is over, the repellent should be washed off. Deet by itself tested between 85% to 89% effective at repelling ticks (deet does not kill either ticks or mosquitoes) and 97% against mosquitoes.

The DoD system consists of both permethrin treated clothing and deet applied to skin. The use of one without the other will undermine the system and increase the risk of insect or tick bite. Many non-deet products are available on the market and are not part of the DoD protection system. They show ineffective repellent performance and are not recommended for any situation where disease transmission is a threat.

*ETA*

https://sawyerfamilyprotection.com/products.asp

Edited by kusojijii

We were issued perethrin prior to deployment and were to apply it to our uniforms. Once treated the clothes were good for 50 washes. It was originally thought to be a possible carcenagenic but, recent studies have proven that false. I took this from Wikipedia: Permethrin kills ticks on contact with treated clothing. According to the Connecticut Department of Public Health, it "has low mammalian toxicity, is poorly absorbed through the skin and is rapidly inactivated by the body. Skin reactions have been uncommon." It's good stuff.

Light color clothes tends to work well too. For some reason the go after dark clothing. Just a thought.

Edited by Voodoo7

When I saw that subheading I thought this thread was about something totally different...because I really like the line...."I'd like to check you for ticks"! Ha! :)

Thanks for all the informative info about tick biting prevention! I haven't been bit yet this summer (knock on wood), but have definently had some hitching a ride on my clothes. A few were apparently deposited into my vehicle because a few days after a cache run a friend and I were riding in my jeep and I noticed one crawling on her jeans...whoops! I guess I need to start vacuuming out the vehicle after any cache runs in the woods!

edit: spelling

Edited by butrflybec

So where can you get Permethrin. Anyone know a box store that definately carries.

No REI near me.

I see someone mentioned permenone at Kmart. Same stuff? And if yes, can someone confirm Kmart definately sells it. We're picking up a lot of ticks this year and I'm getting sick of looking for it.

Ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes are all part of the outdoor experience. If your not willing to accept this you best find a hobby which will keep you indoors. Wear light colored clothing. Tuck in your shirt. Tuck your pant legs in your socks. Spray yourself with bug spray and check for ticks often. Once home, remove your clothes and put them either in the washer or in a bag and secure it until they can be washed. Last but not least, take a shower.

Remember to protect your dogs that hike with you from ticks also. We took our dog with us on several occasions last summer. He was not tick protected because prior to those 2 hikes, he never picked up ticks. Well - we took him and both times picked off many ticks - disgusting! But worse, he contracted lyme disease and died from it 3 months later. The vet swore that we didn't have lyme disease in our area but our dog sure picked it up and due to his breed (a shepherd mix) he did not respond to the antibiotics used to treat lyme disease.

It was very sad and heartbreaking and I could have kicked myself for not getting a tick colllar for him or using front line - I just didn't think about it since he never picked up ticks in the past and this was just a little hike in a local nature preserve.

Just now getting back into the spirit of geocaching - but don't know that I will go back to that preserve.

Just a heads up - don't forget your canine companions!

Permethrin on your clothes and Deet on your skin. The best way to go.

If you have a Farm store near you, you can get Permethrin there, it will probably be the cheapest place too.

I use the same stuff they use on livestock. Permethrin is Permethrin no matter where you get it.

I get 10% Permethrin and delute it down with water like it says on the label. I think it's 19:1 but READ THE LABEL.

Apply to your clothes with a spray bottle.

i'm chemically sensitive and so won't use bug dope. i've yet to have an infected tick bite that didn't clear up with some nice antibiotics, though, and most tick bites i get aren't infected. most infected tick bites aren't infected with lyme either, but are only garden-variety dirty bites.

i'm blister-free and have only had one infected bite in the past couple of years. that was a couple of weeks ago, so i'm due for my lyme titre.

Picked one up last week. Little so-and-so hooked himself to my back. Quickly swiped out with the tweezers (grab them as close to the skin as possible and don't twist!) and dowsed down with tea-tree oil and it's job done.

Really, they're not worth being that bothered about provided you get them out nice and quickly and use something disinfectant on the spot to stop it getting infected. Just remember to check yourself over when you've been in ticky places...