The Ayatollahs are back....

I can see one reason for 'discouraging' that thread, there's always the potential for someone going out and eating something nasty, either because they were given duff info, or because they picked the wrong plant. I guess it's covering GS' a*** and making sure there can be no comeback on them.

As one of the ex-UK Forum moderators I have posted my comments here.

I disagree with the official GSP position on the affected thread. As it happens I don't see the OP "throwing out his toys", just complaining about GSP's decision, which of course is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Neither do I see any reason for closing a thread criticising GSP as long as it doesn't get abusive. When in post I happily allowed many such threads and was tacitly supported by GSP in doing so.

I thought the response to this was a bit harsh as well, even if it is following the guidelines.

However, the one which I though was harsher was this one which was closed recently by Deceangi...seeming to imply that one has to get permission from Groundspeak to be able to speak to geocachers.

I noticed the car boot topic had been moved a while back. I don't have time to trawl through the relevent forum, which I expect is full of American adverts.

How long before requests for help on GPS and software is moved to the relevent forum? Again, time is a factor.

The UK forum should be for everything UK.

Oh well, at least we have the GAGB forums for everything Groundspeak won't let us talk about.

I thought the response to this was a bit harsh as well, even if it is following the guidelines.

However, the one which I though was harsher was this one which was closed recently by Deceangi...seeming to imply that one has to get permission from Groundspeak to be able to speak to geocachers.

Not really too harsh. Surveys like that have never been allowed on GC forums. Take a look at the forum guidelines.

a.

Not really too harsh. Surveys like that have never been allowed on GC forums. Take a look at the forum guidelines.

a.

yeah yeah

But I didn't realise commercial content was allowed in tag lines

yeah yeah

But I didn't realise commercial content was allowed in tag lines

Well you learn something every day. :D

The forum guidelines apply to tag lines. family friendly and avoid commercial posts. This will cover 99% of the tag lines. The other 1% Groundspeak will handle on a case by case basis.

Another good thing to remember is not to read anything into a persons tag line. It is almost always out of context.

:laughing: so how come mods allow this and shut other posts - the suggestion they do not know will not wash as I have mentioned this privately before.

as someone who enjoys wild food it was a shame the origonal post was closed. i am always on the look out for new things to eat while out caching!

apparently we are not allowed to enjoy other hobbys, it's all about the caching!! :laughing:

Have a word with that other Pirate bloke (PopUpPirate) ... he's got a couple of little guidebooks he could give you the ISBN refs for. :D

It does seem that there is a case of double standards here; I think most people would understand the more stringent rules IF they were universally applied. Sadly however, it seems, they are not. B)

I have now been informed that tag lines are not monitored by the board modrator

So if you have anything that doesn't fit in the guidelines add it as a tag line!!!

Charity events - tag line :laughing:

Begging letters - tag line :D

you name it put what you like

Good isn't it :D

I'm just tired of the whole thing now. Lets just accept we are going to get a much poorer service here and take the more interesting discussions over to the other place.

In my opinion if you substituted "poorer" for "more limited" and "interesting" for "potentially off topic/likely to get closed" then this post sums up the whole situation thats been growing for the last few weeks. I used to like having a look on here but it seems that lately the majority of posts or replies seem to have some sort of moan or provocation attached to them. I remember I used to get told if you really don't like it go somewhere else! This is especially true when the mod places a nice easy link on the post where you can carry on with the discussion on the other site if you'd like to. If you don't then post on the other forum is it because you were not interested in the first place or more worryingly just wanted a moan! Please think about it.

I'm not trying to get peoples backs up as I see no point but just wanted to point out that there is another alternative if you want to talk about other things! :laughing:

It does seem that there is a case of double standards here; I think most people would understand the more stringent rules IF they were universally applied. Sadly however, it seems, they are not. B)

I have now been informed that tag lines are not monitored by the board modrator

So if you have anything that doesn't fit in the guidelines add it as a tag line!!!

Charity events - tag line :D

Begging letters - tag line :D

you name it put what you like

Good isn't it :)

Sorry but I also pointed out that a persons Tag Line is part of a persons account details, over which Moderators and Reviewers do not have a remit. That's the responsibility of Groundspeak who own this forum and GC. You were also advised to contact Groundspeak using contact@geocaching.com directly regarding the persons Tag Line you were complaining about. You were also advised that if someone's Tag Line was offensive, I would suspend posting rights until the owner removed it.

As you seem to feel that I am failing as a Forum Moderator by not monitoring peoples Tag Lines, despite the massive work load I'm currently pulling [and this on top of being a full time carer whose had a plumber in fitting central heating for over a month!] please follow the following from the Forum Guidelines

Comments specifically about the staff or one of the volunteers can be sent to: appeals@geocaching.com
and make your complaint officially to those with the power to take the appropriate action they see fit

Deceangi

Dave

1) At no point did I say anything about you doing your job or not

2) If you believe I did, please review my post. If you took it as criticism I apologise it is not about you

3) I have changed my avatar at Mongooses request - a shame this hasn't been reciprocated

4) Half of what you say you you said was not in the message you sent me - You were also advised that if someone's Tag Line was offensive, I would suspend posting rights until the owner removed it. is not there

5) Your workload is immense I realse but there is nothing we can do about this, until it is resolved

you are right maybe I ought to report these tag lines to TPTB - I am still considering it, I am just not sure it is worth it

:D

, despite the massive work load I'm currently pulling

I've found with voluntary work that the more one does the more "they" expect .

In the end have to get realistic /tough and say no sometimes to some of the extras "they " get to expect .

"They" then stop taking it for granted .

you are right maybe I ought to report these tag lines to TPTB - I am still considering it, I am just not sure it is worth it

Why would it ever be worth reporting someone's tag line or indeed any other perfectly innocuous posts. It seems to me that there is to much bickering, tale telling and petty point scoring going on around here.

Maybe those who don't like the rules around here should migrate to the GAGB forums and stop stirring trouble here for the sheer hell of it :D

I've stopped reading the forums now generally. I just feel sad that as paying customers we are treated so badly and childishly by a so-called corporation.

I pay to go the dentist (occassionally) - but I don't expect them to pile the coffee tables in the waiting room with copies of Country Walking or MBR. The reading matter isn't my reason for being there - and as far as I know it's not included in what I pay for the treatment either. If I want to read CW or MBR I either go somewhere else that has them free to read, or I buy them.

How many people still complaining about this forum and it's moderation actually pay Groundspeak specifically to use this forum, rather than to use the extras on the main Geocaching site?

And yes - I know this is a bit of a volte face compared to my comments of several weeks ago - but really, people, it's time to move on......

I've stopped reading the forums now generally. I just feel sad that as paying customers we are treated so badly and childishly by a so-called corporation.

I pay to go the dentist (occassionally) - but I don't expect them to pile the coffee tables in the waiting room with copies of Country Walking or MBR. The reading matter isn't my reason for being there - and as far as I know it's not included in what I pay for the treatment either. If I want to read CW or MBR I either go somewhere else that has them free to read, or I buy them.

How many people still complaining about this forum and it's moderation actually pay Groundspeak specifically to use this forum, rather than to use the extras on the main Geocaching site?

And yes - I know this is a bit of a volte face compared to my comments of several weeks ago - but really, people, it's time to move on......

Fair point, I hadn't thought about it that way. I agree, also, I'd rather just carry on talking about CACHING now instead of forum politics.

Dave

1) At no point did I say anything about you doing your job or not

2) If you believe I did, please review my post. If you took it as criticism I apologise it is not about you

3) I have changed my avatar at Mongooses request - a shame this hasn't been reciprocated

4) Half of what you say you you said was not in the message you sent me - You were also advised that if someone's Tag Line was offensive, I would suspend posting rights until the owner removed it. is not there

5) Your workload is immense I realse but there is nothing we can do about this, until it is resolved

:D

You think your mad, well I am Fuming, at no point have I ever suggested that you remove/change your Avatar.

Get your facts right!

Edited by mongoose39uk