Why should I become a premium member?

Being new to this sport/hobby/totally fun adventure I have came across listings that are premium member only. I passed them by because I couldn't access the information. Two days ago Saz and I went on a hunt on a creek trail. Mentioned in one of the blurbs for the cache we were seeking was a member only cache right in the middle of the two we were looking for.

We wanted that cache lol.

So I am trying to talk myself into the membership. It is not a lot of money for a year but I am trying to figure out exactly what is in it for us. Besides the random caches that we can't see.

I personally did it because I know that servers, bandwidth and software developers aren't free and wanted to support the site.

I've since become quite dependent on pocket queries and the caches along a route features. Some other benefits are paperless caching and instant notification of published caches (great for the FTF hounds).

We became members long ago because we got so much out of the activity! I tend to be a cheap/frugal person, and typically don't like paying for something I could get free, but we realized that someone had to help pay for the system we enjoyed so much, so we pitched in and helped out.

The pocket queries are really handy... member only caches? I don't know of any in my area, so that isn't a perk. Off topic forum? I rarely read it.

I just felt it was time for us to help out.... at $30 a year, that is cheap enough entertainment!

We don't go geocaching as often as we did back then, but we still pay the $30 a year, gladly.

I personally did it because I know that servers, bandwidth and software developers aren't free and wanted to support the site.

I've since become quite dependent on pocket queries and the caches along a route features. Some other benefits are paperless caching and instant notification of published caches (great for the FTF hounds).

Please excuse my ignorance but what are "pocket queries" ?

On top of supporting the continued existance of the geocaching.com website, you also get many other benefits such as pocket queries, instant notification of new publishings, access to members only caches, participation in challenge caches which are not necessarily, but usually are, members only, and through pocket queries you can be aware of and list your caching stats.

I could never have been First To Find on a cache if it were not for becoming a premium member, and I now have 15 FTF's.

I realize that FTF's are not the be all / end all, but it is fun to open a cache, take out the log, and see that you are the first to have been there - you can then do you FTF dance - Whoo Hoo!!! :ph34r:

Mostly though, it is to support the sport; it could not exist without a site like this.

Happy Caching!

I am a Premium member A: for support B: for routing off Google Earth But??

Instant Notifications" for new caches in your area.

How do I do this- Page says I will get weekly notification????????

You will also then have access to the "Off Topic" Forum . . . and you can change your "Forum Title."

And what are this items.

thxs

On the right hand side of your My Account page, there is a link for Set Up Notifications. You have to set them up for each type of cache, or action. I have them set up for New Traditional, Multi, and Puzzle caches. I also have them set up for Archived, Disabled, and Re-Enabled caches.

This is the Off Topic Forum if you aren't wasting enough time in the regular Forums, or if they have too much angst for you. :ph34r:

You can change your Forum Title to say something other than "Premium Member." :)

I joined because the nearest cache to my home was 1/2 mile away and I couldn't access it! It ended up being a part of a multi-puzzle cache. It is so worth the $3 a month (I know, I'd save $6 by paying for an entire year, but hey, I didn't know if I'd keep my membership & it's worth $6 to me not to mess with it!)

please, let me quote myself :ph34r:

Well I finally went and did it I became a premium member. I have been a member since 11/04 and I had an epiphany and decided I would part with 30 precious dollars.

I have always thought of this “thing” as just another passing fancy. I told myself that if I was still into this “thing” in a year that I would become a PM – well that came and went. I had this vision of being the most active NPM so I pushed on.

I have had some personal issues so to say and have always been hesitant to give when I can get it for well free.

Nobody has ever questioned my membership; nobody ever asked me why, does anyone care – well I do.

I had taken several steps to become a PM before this but never went completed the deed. Last week the thoughts crept into my mind again – stronger this time. I had this urge to use my credit card but I suppressed the urge but it came on stronger this time.

I printed the address to the subscription page, got an envelope and the checkbook – OMG the checkbook was I really going to do this. I label the envelope carefully printing the address, I then carefully add my return address – OMG my hands are starting to shake, I can’t believe that I’ve made it this far. Ok, lets now type a nice formal letter, crap I have to pee, lets think about this – ok. Well I make it back safe and sound, I open the check book and fill out the check – I can tear this up – no it’s ok you can do this, alright. Check in hand I carefully fold the formal letter requesting to be upgraded to PM status and insert the check into the letter – my hands continue to shake and tremble. Ok it’s in – that was tough, I can still tear this up – don’t you’ve made it this far. Now it’s time for the stamp and trip to the post office. Lets sleep on this and I’ll do it tomorrow.

I wake from a restless night’s sleep and there it is the subscription letter taunting me, I think it’s now or never – lets go.

There is a mailbox on the way to school, give the boy the letter and tell him to drop it in the box for me – I can’t do it. The deed is done, the letter is in the box, will it get there, will someone read it, and will my check bounce – NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Well to make a long rambling story short I am a natural born cheapskate – I can make pennies cry. My check cleared I got my PM and I am as giddy as a schoolboy with a new crush. All these new and hidden things to explore, touch play with, caress and love. I am now glad that I have done my part to support the site. Proud Premium Member since 11/14/06.

I glad to finally get this off my chest – come and confess your sins.

I believe I am sold!!

Thanks guys. I am still not sure about the pocket thing.

Pocket querries let you export up to 500 caches at one time rather than just 20. It also allows you to filter out what ever you want just about. perhaps you just want mimcros, or just traditionals. Or only caches placed in the last 3 months. or along a route. Pocket querries just basically makes it easy to get a multitude of caches in your gps with minimal effort.

I've been waiting on upgrading to PM too. I also have a lot of passing fancies so I didn't want to waste my money (again) on something that I wouldn't stick with.

I'm using PM as a reward for losing weight right now. I want to lose 40 pounds. I decided that when I made it to 20, I would get PM. I've lost 15 so far and have been consistently losing 1 pound a week. I'll meet this goal by the end of June, then I will be premium!!! :anibad:

Boy, even the volunteer moderators have to pay for the privilege? Time for a new contract.

At any rate - become a premium member. The pocket queries are well worth it. Caches along a route are well worth it. The ability to visit off-topic is very much worth it.

I can't really think of a downside unless you honestly can't afford $3 a month. If that's the case I would suggest collecting aluminum for an afternoon. :anibad::D (You could even make it part of a CITO or something)

=

So I am trying to talk myself into the membership. It is not a lot of money for a year but I am trying to figure out exactly what is in it for us.

Pocket queries and new cache notifications are probably the two main things a new cacher will use.

I'd recommend signing up for a year, and if you're still caching after a year, let the membership expire. What you lose will be easy to see, and you'll be overnighting your renewal payment.

Think of it this way as well:

To cache year round with pocket querries etc. 30 bucks. Now what else can you do for 30 dollars?

Watch 2 movies. that equals 3-4 hrs and maybe a popcorn split beteen the 2.

1 Sporting event

There just really isn't much out there that you can do for 30 bucks anymore and actually have it available for 12 full months.

I am actually using my cars garmin to find caches. Works perfectly Lol

You're hand entering the coordinates for every single cache that you hunt rather than loading 100's of PQ's automatically? You'll be so glad when you free yourself to enjoy the caching adventures without that problem.

Becoming a contributing member of the addiction (and then going

) was the best thing I ever did to make Geocaching complete enjoyment.

How to cache without burning paper (and ink, and time, and money).

There a lot of great perks (pocket queries and caches along a route and notifications) but the best reason is the most practical. I just want to support the fine folks that bring all this great information to us and keep it working so well. Pretty cheap at $30 per year!!